57 replies to this topic

#31 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Pregnant_Cow)
...can't get the keyboard integrated...

What do you mean, he can't get it integrated? TheMasterSwordsman, care to explain? Last I checked, keyboard drivers were completely standardized (don't know about the one's with fancy extra buttons). Or am I misinterpreting the situation?

#32 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:26 AM

Writing an ISR (the instruction when a certain piece of hardware sends some information) for the keyboard is more difficult than you might think, even when you have everything else set up, a bare kernel is running... and that stuff.

I didn't say I won't finish, I just said I am hitting a roadblock, but I'm researching how to set it up.

#33 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Ah, OK. You're not quitting...Good. Had me disappointed there for a minute. I'm sure you'll get it. It'll just take persistence and time.

#34 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Well, Takuya said he cleaned up the code today by separating different elements in the C code into separate files, and he eliminated the warnings that were generated at compile-time... now I believe we *really* need to work on interfacing now, because I'm itching to release a first alpha.

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 29 May 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#35 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

Wow, that sounds great, glad to hear your still going through with it. sorry your encountering a problem though. how important will the keyboard be when the alpha is finished?

#36 Aaron1046

Aaron1046

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

wow... sounds great!!!!
Hope you get richer then Microsoft!

#37 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(Pregnant_Cow @ May 30 2008, 02:10 AM) View Post

Wow, that sounds great, glad to hear your still going through with it. sorry your encountering a problem though. how important will the keyboard be when the alpha is finished?

Hopefully, it will be your swiss army knife of all input devices.

#38 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

oh, wow.. yeah, now that i think of it, it is super important... hmmm.. couldnt be saying this without it! icon_razz.gif

#39 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

I just wanted to say: BUMP! icon_deformed.gif No, just kidding. Actually, I was out of town without any real access to the Emerald source code or my development platforms. Now I've gained access to those all over again, and I should resume coding soon...

#40 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I could use it as a layer under my idea of WinDux. (Pronounced like the cleaning product) What WinDux does is it strips everything except the .exe and batch runners from any windows computer and installs a specially shelled Linux-based OS which provides a close-to-the-same GUI as the Windows OS you were previously running.

#41 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

Work on my part is delayed due to my MBP being in the shop. Optical Drive being replaced. icon_smile.gif

#42 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, and it seems like it might be about two or three more weeks before development on my end resumes, by that time I'll be going to Cybercamps again this summer for a weeklong course in advanced C++, so Emerald will probably get a C++ bridge at that point so I can start writing with some newfound skills.

ROCK on... Emerald! icon_deformed.gif

#43 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

glad to hear you guys are still up to that challenge. hope progress goes smooth from here on out! icon_biggrin.gif

#44 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Bumpeth! icon_deformed.gif

No, not really, but it hasn't been 3 months (the time when the topic is proclaimed dead, this one expires next month... or at least, now it doesn't). So, anyway, I just wanted to say that this project is NOT dead, I am announcing that I have leaped past the part I couldn't figure out (I just pasted something wrong... damn it, what is wrong with me?!) which left me at the part where I code the simplest parts: The keyboard driver and the Programmable Interval Timer (PIT, the chip that can time signals sent to hardware at intervals). I can use the PIT to display uptime, as well... the PIT counts each processor "tick" as its units. 18.222 ticks is one second (ask the IBM engineer why he used 18.222 or what he was smoking...), so that means if I use the ticks to determine uptime, I can determine down to the second how long the kernel has been running.

Anyway, since Takuya seemed to abandon me because of the project's downtime... I just wanted to say: You'll all have an operating system to enjoy after a while... and if someone could point Schwa to this thread--after I get a basic library working--I want to implement his text version of Chess he's been playing in Message Board Games as a standard part of Emerald--I can't wait to jump on this project. Or, in PC ASM, that's "jmp" on it. icon_blah.gif

#45 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

I was scared for a month that this project was heading where Winux had. That goodness! ITS ALIVE! ALIIIIIIIIVEEEEE!

I can't wait to see this go far. Its destined to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users