My Operating System

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

It comes in the form of a floppy image, which you write to a floppy disk. It's not a matter of clicking-and-dragging to the disk, it's a matter of, on Windows, using a tool known as PartCopy. I'll give installation-to-floppy instructions in the documentation that will come with version 0.1.

QUOTE(Alestance @ May 26 2008, 06:37 PM) View Post

perhaps you could use this for some type of logo:
IPB Image

if you want to, do what you need to make it work for you.

How's this?

IPB Image

#17 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hey, TMS, not bad! though you can leave out the sub-heading. Though remember, image displaying isn't lightweight. icon_smile.gif A simple BMP sorter would be worked out first, but after text and command line is implemented. The first thing we have to really do is get a CLI with some useful commands (for checking out memory, clock functions, rebooting) etc. icon_smile.gif

#18 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

I just thought of something, do you care if i try and draw you a quick logo thing? just to see if you like it? and so i can help! icon_smile.gif

#19 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

I like that a lot TMS, but don't fear me if you can find/do something better, as I like to see new and intriguing ideas come to life.

#20 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

I assume this is open source, and will remain so for the life of the OS? Regardless, I admire you for taking the courage to start something like this.

#21 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

Yes, Ireclan, source code will be available in a separate file, probably .tar.gz format.

QUOTE(Pregnant_Cow @ May 26 2008, 09:59 PM) View Post

I just thought of something, do you care if i try and draw you a quick logo thing? just to see if you like it? and so i can help! icon_smile.gif

Of course, make any kind of contribution!

And since I've been asked this multiple times, no this is not a hoax or a joke, there really is an operating system in the works. In fact, I've almost completed the kernel, with the help of Takuya, since I'm sending him the source right now...

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 27 May 2008 - 06:32 AM.

#22 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

Wow, sounds great, I would love to help. I will get on that logo in just a bit. hope you don't mind if I only make a small version right now do you?

EDIT:
I just finished a quick logo design. I think it still needs work, and to be alot bigger, but hope it helps.
here is the small version:
IPB Image

and here is a close up view:
IPB Image

Edited by Pregnant_Cow, 27 May 2008 - 06:30 PM.

#23 Xgadd

Xgadd

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

I don't mean to infringe on Pregnant_Cow, but I was already working on it so I figured I would finish it:

IPB Image

I think it would be good for a boot screen or something. The background in the .psd form is really transparent by the way, but I made it black so you could make out the glow. GUI elements are more or less my thing, though I would have no idea on how to make a theme out of them. I can give you ideas too, but I'm no programmer so I wouldn't be of any help aside from that. icon_razz.gif

Also, I can make wallpapers. Give me a list of things you might want and I'll try my best. (whether it be raster, vector, photography, etc...)

Edited by Xgadd, 27 May 2008 - 08:54 PM.

#24 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

Dont worry, i dont mind. Its not all about me, i was just trying to help. he will just choose the better one out of them.

So TMS, what exactly is the definition of an OS Kernel? is that just like MSDOS? or what? because i am kinda confused...

#25 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hrm. Well, I want you to think Star Wars for a second. The main reactor seems to always be the "core" of everything. That's what the kernel is, the central core, all other parts branch out using the central core as the "gateway" to the rest of the computer. And I'm sure we'll find spots for those logos, in fact, Pregnant_Cow (I just can't help but snicker when I type that name), your design could be a signature image for forums and other sites. Xgadd, I see yours being incorporated into the image displayed when loading. I like 'em both!

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 28 May 2008 - 06:40 AM.

#26 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

alright, sounds good, and I was actually going to try something with that logo, and add a loading bar just after the OS part. but oh well. and thats what i thought the kernel was, but i wasnt sure. does the kernal serve as anything else then just the core? does it actually run when you start up the OS?

and about the name, which do you prefer, Pregnant_Cow, or Maternal_Bovine?

#27 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

The kernel runs no matter what. Basically, the kernel is the driver for the processor and the memory. Without the kernel the OS would be a fragile program, and nothing more.

#28 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Ok, i think i understand now. still a bit confusing, but i think i get it.

#29 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

Wait, you're building you're own OS? Wow, sounds neat.

#30 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

Well he is trying, but he said he might not finish it now, because he cant get the keyboard integrated. but i say CONTINUE!! your doing great so far, why let it go to waste? i would help you, but i dont know ASM or C...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users