Final Fantasy 7 on Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

When I play this game it crashes for no reason and it doesn't even tell you why. Has anyone got this to run on 2000? I've heard ff7 does worse on 2000 than any other windows os.

If it makes any difference I have windows 2000 service pack 2

#2 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

I never tried this on 2000. It has always worked on XP for me, so I don't know why it wouldn't work on 2000. Did you download it as a torrent? Because that would make lots of sense.

#3 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

I don't see how it coming from a torrent and not working would make any sense but I'm not sure were it came from I got it from my brother. It works on his 98se and I've heard it can work on XP as well. But apparently there are compatibility issues with 2000. From what I've seen my problem is very common so I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it.

#4 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

Hmmm. I know. Why don't you get the 2000 patch from filefront or the official website? That should do the trick.
BTW coming from a torrent could give it many problems considering it needs a cracked .exe to play without a disc, so that could cause compatibility issues.
Anyways it's illegal to download torrents so try not to get involved with all that icon_smile.gif

Edited by trucky5, 13 April 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#5 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:43 AM

trucky5, it's illegal to download torrents with illegal content in them. If you're simply downloading a picture of a flower (or something legitimate, just trying to be simple here) using BitTorrent, you're fine.

#6 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

True TMS, but most people mainly use torrents to get illegal things, so I was just simply advising him/her not to get into the mix with all of that. icon_smile.gif

#7 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

I wouldn't worry about me getting in to it. I couldn't if I want to as I have dial up and even with a torrent I couldn't be downloading much. But to get myself back on topic I heard something about using the Application Compatibility Toolkit 1.5 but I don't believe its available from Microsoft anymore. I still have my windows 98se disk from back whenever we first got a computer. Is it possible to have 98se on the computer as well if I do a partition? I've got a lot of old games that would benefit from having it but I wouldn't be willing to do it unless I could do something along those lines.

Edited by KHRiku, 14 April 2008 - 09:41 AM.

#8 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

If you can manage a dualboot (you'll need to install something like GRUB onto your hard drive's MBR, or the first point in the hard drive, the "irremovable space" that can be changed, not removed completely), then yes, running Windows 98 and Windows 2000 is possible. I recommend against it, though.

#9 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

Actually, I think you can just install it on a separate partition. Here's what you do:

Put the Windows 98 disk in, and boot.
Go directly to the system boot settings at startup (There will be a some text saying what to press when the brand name of the computer comes up.) THIS IS BEFORE WINDOWS BOOTS
Make the CD boot first, so the computer won't recognize that Windows is already installed
Make a separate partition from the one you already have, and install 98 on that.
MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS CORRECTLY OR IT CAN WIPE YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!
That's it.
After installation, whenever you start up the computer, it will ask you if you want to boot from 2000, or 98.

#10 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

I thought you had to reformat to make a new partition though don't I? Either way I don't think I'll do it on this computer. I think it might just be a better idea to upgrade to XP.

#11 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Nope, don't have to format. A partition is just a section of the hard-drive set aside for something, in this case, and OS. So you can have multiple partitions, each containing a different OS.
And yes, it's probably just a good idea to upgrade to XP
icon_smile.gif

#12 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Can you have three different partions each with an os or is it limited to two. This computer already has Windows 2000 and Ubuntu(which is what I use most of the time such as now for example) All Windows is really used for is gaming. It will be awhile before I can upgrade to XP I was told we had the cd for it but he was mistaken its just the Windows 2000 cd. Can you still buy XP even?

#13 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

You can have as many as you want, as long as your hard-drive can hold it.
ANYBODY feel free to correct me, as I haven't actually tried this before, but am pretty certain about it. icon_smile.gif

#14 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

Well having three OSes isn't likely to happen for me I just was interested. I will probably see about buying XP and upgrading. That is if XP is still available for purchase...
Otherwise I might try adding a another OS.

Edited by KHRiku, 15 April 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#15 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure xp is still up for purchase, and if it isn't in stores than it is for certain up for purchase at the Microsoft Website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users