Problems with my old comp

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

I have an old computer that has 98se on it and whenever it does anything like loading a setup file for example it takes away from memory. I have been told that when you don't have enough RAM it does this. I'm don't know much about RAM and how it works but if this is true I need more RAM right?

Here are some details about my computer:
It is is partitioned into a C: and a D:
C: has 500 mb(total) and has my OS(98se) on it and it has like 87mb left
D: has 56 gb on it and like 55 left.
My RAM is 96mb according to my system info.

So I don't know how much RAM is required to run 98se properly but this seems to be the problem to me. Am I right or does someone know what my problem might be?

Edited by KHRiku, 11 January 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#2 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

It is true that if you increase the size of your RAM it will allow the computer to run quicker.

98se only needs 8 mb of ram to run. 16mb to run optimally.
What is the speed of your processor?
Sometimes that affects the performance as well.

#3 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

I don't know the speed of my processor is there anyway I can find out or I can at least tell you what kind it is. Well it just says its a Pentium. I know the computer originally had 95.

Edit: on the computer it says MMX Intel Inside Pentium processor.

Edited by KHRiku, 11 January 2008 - 10:23 AM.

#4 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

Other than looking inside the PC, no.

But, judging by what you are saying it sounds like it's at least a 233Mhz or less.
This can make a world of difference.

There are ways of upgrading the processor. I would recommend finding an AMD chip that's the same PIN package as the socket on the board (which is most likely a socket 7 PGA). AMD's out run the intels in socket 7 up to 600 Mhz.
The fact that PC's are now running in 478 PGA's and slot A's, it will be difficult to find one. I would try ebay first. That's where I got mine. Not that I use it anymore. xD

#5 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

I'll see about that processor upgrade here in a bit. Thanks for your help rocksfan.

#6 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

To find out all kinds of things about your computer, press [WINDOWSKEY] + [PAUSE] together. It should display your processor type/speed in the first page.

#7 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thats actually where I went to check on my computer but I did it under control panel but its nice to know that handy keyboard shortcut to get to it though that will make things much quicker for future reference. Actually I really need to learn some of those shortcuts.

Edit: After checking the system settings I see I can switch the settings so virtual memory can go to my other partition though which would help since I don't have much on my first for it to use. Wouldn't help if I switched it over and if so what should I let the maximum it takes away be?

Edited by KHRiku, 11 January 2008 - 11:43 AM.

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Yes. Let it borrow memory from your larger partition.

Even better - if you have a means of making backups and a way to reinstall Windows, try fdisking the two partitions together so you just have one disk.

#9 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Virtual memory is best put
- on a disk with enough free space (at least 2 GB)
- on a disk with fast access
- on a disk not too fragmented

A separate partition would of course be best, but if you switch to D: that can only help especially if C: is what you use most. I'd let it take as much as it wants maximally as it won't take up more than it needs and frees it again afterwards. For minimum, I recommend if you have enough space free 1 GB so it won't get fragmented too fast.

btw, we have an Official Keyboard Shortcuts Thread.

#10 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

Honestly, changing the virtual memory isn't going to do much good.

Windows 98 didn't rely on VM too much, at least that I can recall. Virtual memory acts the same way RAM does with the exception of it using space on your hard disk. Your computer doesn't generally go to virtual memory first. Which is why it is best to increase the RAM first and up the processor speed. Those are where you find the most improvement. As VM still runs on the speed of the CPU and the room left on the RAM t move the info to the hard drive.

Make sense?

#11 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

Well either way I plan on boosting the RAM and getting the processor upgraded but I do know that the first partition doesn't have enough memory to even use it without causing problems operating the computer so I'm thinking between that and some upgrades hopefully I will be in good shape. I do have a problem though whenever I try to change my virtual memory settings from let windows handle it to custom settings it doesn't save my custom settings. It just reverts back to windows choosing. icon_cry.gif

Edit: Actually let me clear things up it might be a bit of help.
Heres how this all came up earlier I tried to install a virus scanner since I just hooked the internet up to this computer. When I tried to install the program it said I didn't have memory in C: anymore even though I previously had like 87mb on it before starting the installation. Thats what was leading me to thing it was virtual memory. I thought maybe it used up space and then didn't have enough left to install cause it goes down to 1.6 mb. Then if restart my computer it returns to the 87 or so megabytes on it. Thats why I thought the virtual memory might help but heck I can't get it to stay changed anyways. But in truth I have wanted to add RAM to this thing anyway so hopefully doing that will help.

Edit 2: Thanks for for the Keyboarding Shortcuts Thread link I'll start studying up

Edited by KHRiku, 11 January 2008 - 01:34 PM.

#12 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

What anti virus program are you trying to install?

Also, have you tried deleting all of your temp files. Lots of times I find that they cause the most problems when it comes to space.
Have you ever thought of swapping D for C? D is significantly larger than C. That right there will solve your space issues.

#13 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

Boy I really wish I knew how to switch C: and D: but I wasn't the one who set this up I knew nothing of partitions until this guy set up my new hard drive. He said 98 couldn't run properly under all that memory so he partitioned it so all the windows files would be on C:. None of that seemed to make since to me but if it wouldn't hurt how it run I would love to join both the partitions together.

I do know it isn't my temp files I checked them first thing and that wasn't it.

By the way I would like to say I appreciate everyone's help I really didn't expect everyone to be so helpful.

Edit: Oh yeah you asked what virus scanner it was AVG
And if I was to swap c: and d: would I have to back up everything or reinstall anything or would it just swap them no catch?

Edited by KHRiku, 11 January 2008 - 01:53 PM.

#14 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

What he told you was crap. 98 will install on anything 300 mb or over.

So. You're trying AVG scanner? Personally I believe that to be terrible. I use and recommend Symantec (Norton) to everyone that doesn't have it. It's very reliable and what we use here were a work (at a very large, well known, bank).

Unfortunately, to switch from using c to d, it would require a reinstall.

Are these partitions or two separate hard drisks?

#15 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

Its partitions. So if Windows could run okay would it be possible to just fuse the two and not even have a partition and if so would I still have to reinstall because I'm not too sure I have the 98se cd readily on hand so I couldn't reinstall it. Or maybe theres a way I could back up the C: part and put it on when they are fused back. I don't have anything on d: that isn't backed up so thats not a problem its just music, movies, and games. And yes I don't like AVG much either I just didn't know a good scanner to use. About how much does it cost for the Norton scanner?(at least I'm assuming its not for free)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users