Photo

Screenshot of the Week 232

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 232 (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite shot!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Oct 13 2008, 09:13 PM) View Post

Twilight_Knight- 7/10 It looks good at first glance(I like the colors) but if you look at it critically it's very confused and weird looking.

That's nonsense, it's not confusing neither weird looking. I built this screen in pure logica, step for step, so how can it ever be confusing?! If you'd be more specific...

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 13 October 2008 - 04:41 PM.

#17 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Evile - 8/10
It's beautiful. I don't know what else to say.

Sephiroth - 7/10
Nice design and transparent water. It might help if the blue from the water can contrast a little more with the blues from the rest of the screen, as I can just barely see where the water is vs. what is not underwater. I love the wall and floor selections though. The subscreen portion is both neat and simple. You can't go wrong with that.

TheMasterSwordsman - 7/10
Excellent for your run of the mill quest. Good at best for something more spectacular. Good attention to detail along with good consistency. While at first it looks like a screen seen many times before, everything was put together well. I anticipate all the adjacent screens following through as well.

Twilight_Knight - 8/10
Very good attention to detail and it all fits together nicely. Not only does it look like winter, but even better: It feels like winter.

T. Platinum - 6/10
Not sure what is going on in this screen. Where does the log lead? I am guessing underground would be the best answer, although it gets pretty close to that coastline, which is as man made looking as can be, considering the perfect straightness. I would say more, but I am not sure what the overall focus of the screen is, assuming that there is one. While there are generous amounts of detail, I am just not seeing how the bits and pieces are working with the big picture.

My tie breaker goes to Twilight_Knight as the most appealing of shots for me this week.

#18 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Oct 13 2008, 04:41 PM) View Post

That's nonsense, it's not confusing neither weird looking. I built this screen in pure logica, step for step, so how can it ever be confusing?! If you'd be more specific...

It was an opinion not nonsense and I agree with him sorta. I think the shot is designed weirdly.

#19 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

The ways the trees all interact with each other, coupled with the inability to tell what's actually going on. A shot that your brain can't take in and make heads or tails of instantly often comes off as looking too confused. I don't dislike your shot(I gave it a 7! That's good!) but it would be better if you could tell what was going on more. The un-contrasted color probably has a lot to do with it, since it's hard to tell where grass, trees and sand stop and start without picking it apart with your eyes.

#20 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Oct 13 2008, 08:52 AM) View Post

Yea, I was also a little intimidated by the nothing but blue. So I made some changes.

First of all, I switched to a different dungeon wall set, and secondly, modified floors!

IPB Image

That certainly does look a lot better- if you don't mind a suggestion, you could even take it a step further and recolor a few of the brick tiles on the wall to that color (naturally using layers so that true customization is maintained). If you are going for a less detailed feel, though, don't bother, because I can see it getting quite noisy when used with other graphics.

#21 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Oct 14 2008, 03:36 AM) View Post

The ways the trees all interact with each other, coupled with the inability to tell what's actually going on. A shot that your brain can't take in and make heads or tails of instantly often comes off as looking too confused. I don't dislike your shot(I gave it a 7! That's good!) but it would be better if you could tell what was going on more. The un-contrasted color probably has a lot to do with it, since it's hard to tell where grass, trees and sand stop and start without picking it apart with your eyes.

Thanks for being more specific, I couldn't understand directly what you meant by confusing or weird. Well, it's intended that way, snowy hazzard... It's meant for the player to walk around, bumping into solid things until he founds the correct path. Now, of course it's a lot clearer when it's enlarged by ZC, but you're quite correct about the trees. They blend in each other and such because the colors are very monotone. But I can't help after all, I design this screen to be fully detailed, natural and snowy and it turns out a little confusing because the colors. I can assure you though that it's really clearer in a fullscreen ZC, but the small dimensions of screenshots can't really give you a good idea.

I also named your opinion nonsense, because it didn't made sense to me. After all, that's the words literal meaning...

@Nathaniel: Thank you, it's my intention of the screen. Winter, snow, unclear blizzards. I love snowy/ice themes myself so I spend extra time in detailing the screens.

#22 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Oct 13 2008, 11:13 PM) View Post

That certainly does look a lot better- if you don't mind a suggestion, you could even take it a step further and recolor a few of the brick tiles on the wall to that color (naturally using layers so that true customization is maintained). If you are going for a less detailed feel, though, don't bother, because I can see it getting quite noisy when used with other graphics.

Yeah that might look better I can picture it right now.

#23 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

Evile
The design is great, and the palette is just awesome. I've got no problems with this shot, with the exception of the small grass patch in front of the house seems a little cluttered. Gets my vote. *Vote*

Sephiroth
Great design overall, but it's too blue. I see the new screen you posted, which fixes that quite well.

TheMasterSwordsman
This is an awesome pure shot. The design is amazing, and everything looks great. No complaints, except for the palette. I would use something other than pure's default.

Twilight Knight
A great DoR shot that gives the feel of a dangerous blizzard. A little cluttered and cramped, but overall, very nicely done.

T.Platinum
Unfortunately, I can't say this works. It's too cluttered in the middle, and the outer edges are too empty, making the middle seem that more cluttered. The top part is much to straight. I would curve it around a bit. Also, I would consider a palette change.

I voted for Evile, but it was a close one for sure. Great work everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

#24 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Evile is my hero this week! ^_^ Good work all! icon_wink.gif

#25 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

I voted for Twilight Knight. His screen just appealed to me more then anyone else's did. Although The Master Swordsman is close for second place.

#26 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

Voted for Evile

Although that screenie is awesome, that weirdly coloured road is...a weirdly coloured road. icon_razz.gif

#27 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Evils is full of total awesomeness!

#28 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

Evile - 29 votes = [58.00%]