Photo

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Remake

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

Handful of observations. Firstly, the logo:

Spoiler

It's using the same chipped, decayed "Zelda" from the Breath of the Wild logo (which doesn't show up that well on light theme, not much I can do about that except say open it in a new tab):

Spoiler

Since it's an intentional stylistic choice for Breath of the Wild, to reflect the state of Hyrule and the Master Sword, I have a feeling the logo will change next time we see it to a more cleaner style. Or at least without the chipping. Or they might use it as the new standard logo, which... wouldn't make much sense to me, but okay.

Anyway, another observation, here's a piece of artwork from Breath of the Wild and one from Link's Remakening, side by side. No big thing here, the style just looks incredibly similar and is likely the same artist(s?). Which is cool, because the Breath of the Wild artwork was amazing.

Spoiler

Also I enjoy the text "Copy Link" being the option for grabbing these URLs.

• Daniel likes this

#32 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:55 AM

I think this direct was subtle, yet deliberate in stating that the 3DS and Wii U are not going to be supported any more with new games. They opened with Mario Maker 2, and closed with LA Remake without a 3DS game in sight. I agree it could have worked on 3DS, but I'm glad to see it coming to Switch. The switch is part handheld after all, so I don't mind these 'simpler looking games' coming out, especially if it is something like this.

Even as an avid Zelda fan, I can admit that LA is among the four main games I haven't finished entirely (Other's being OoS, and the DS games). This will give me a reason to play it, and experience it with (hopefully) a ton of QoL changes. A lot of comments I see about the graphics are along the lines of "This should look better, it's a AAA Switch game", but as other's have said, these people are kind of missing the point in a way. This remake looks awesome, and I think it will be a sleeper hit. Or an instant hit, who knows.

Seriously  - I think they should have used Wind wakers HD Engine if they were going to make the gameplay look like that.

Even as Long as it was a Fully 3D remake.  Since the area's are small anyways.

But could have expanded them vastly.

If they make the two Seasons Zelda games like this one,  i expect they'll do the exact same Links awakening new graphics with them, or just put 2 games in one, or maybe a Whole new game along with them.

-However ,   If they keep links awakening top down like this in these graphics, and decide to do the Seasons and Ages games in full 3D you can expect I'd be very pissed about that..

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 15 February 2019 - 02:58 AM.

#33 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:12 AM

Holy shit.

• Daniel, Anthus, Eddy and 3 others like this

#34 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:47 AM

There is proof Ocarina of time and further Zelda titles would not have been as inovative if it weren't for Link's Awakening.

So i worry they weren't thinking about that while speeding out this game boy style remake. 

-    4:32 of the Video references something ..  if people here can put 2 and 2 together. 

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 15 February 2019 - 06:19 PM.

• Daniel likes this

#35 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

I'm just glad because, as good as the original is, it's on a pretty old console and, for some people that's a turn-off. I played DX on 3ds virtual console, and it was great.
When I get a Switch, I will be very happy when I get this game.
  • Daniel and SkyLizardGirl like this

#36 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

I'm just glad because, as good as the original is, it's on a pretty old console and, for some people that's a turn-off. I played DX on 3ds virtual console, and it was great.
When I get a Switch, I will be very happy when I get this game.

I beat the original on Gameboy like 20 years ago. And while I own DX (got it much later) I never actually played it. I’m now playing through DX though I’m using my Bittboy instead of my cart of it.

I’ve played a lot of Gameboy games but Links Awakening must have changed the playing field a lot. Most Gameboy games were short and didn’t have to much of a story to them. I can imagine how big of a deal it must have been for those who got it when it first came out.
  • SkyLizardGirl likes this

#37 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

Really don't think the games after Link's Awakening wouldn't have been innovative if that game didn't exist. A Link to the Past is pretty much the father of every game up until Breath of the Wild, which takes more cues from the first game. The only outlier is Majora's Mask, and that's because it feels like its own thing.

Edited by Norzan, 15 February 2019 - 11:40 AM.

• Daniel and SkyLizardGirl like this

#38 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:21 PM

Really don't think the games after Link's Awakening wouldn't have been innovative if that game didn't exist. A Link to the Past is pretty much the father of every game up until Breath of the Wild, which takes more cues from the first game. The only outlier is Majora's Mask, and that's because it feels like its own thing.

Link's Awakening and Link to the past - is Responsible for all the KEY features in Orcarina of Time, Including the OWL, - story-lines, people, mini-games and etc.

They are the perfect models to follow on in future games.

If it wasn't for this game the next game could have just been another Link to the past SNES one for the N64.

-But you all probably would love that anyways..*

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 15 February 2019 - 06:32 PM.

• Daniel likes this

#39 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:23 AM

Oh damn, you know what I realized and what I really can't wait to see now?

We already saw the Goombas in the trailer. But I can't wait to see what the Anti-Kirbies look like in 3D.

• Daniel, SkyLizardGirl and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#40 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:50 AM

I'm interested in seeing how they handle Eagle Tower. It had those pillars iirc, and 2D scrolling sections with Kirby's Adventure-like "rotating" backgrounds.
  • Daniel, SkyLizardGirl and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#41 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

I was reminded of this fan project from some years ago....

This looks much more appealing to me...

• Jared and SkyLizardGirl like this

#42 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

"oh yeah, hahaha, it's a silly Zelda, lighthearted and featuring Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, and Mr. Wright..." 

"...also you cause an apocalypse at the end."

• Daniel and Mitsukara like this

#43 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

I was reminded of this fan project from some years ago....

This looks much more appealing to me...

That is One Awesome Fan Project.*

#44 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:15 AM

The Chu's in that video look like they are on all the drugs and Link's walk cycle is a little off. The trailer also gives a severe amateur Game Maker vibe (and the frame pacing is terrible).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 23 February 2019 - 03:15 AM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#45 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

I agree that it could use some extra polish to make it more spiffy, but, the animations are nice and smooth, the colors are nice and vibrant, and most importantly, the world doesn't look like it's made out of plastic and Link doesn't look like Charlie Brown.  I think given some extra care and more advanced programming, this could've turned out to be a really great product, just like the Streets of Rage Remake, or AM2R.

Edited by Koh, 23 February 2019 - 12:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Remake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users