• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Weeeeiiird... :lol:

#17 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

The site looks pretty nice. I admit, I'm going to miss that collage background from the old version, but other than that, I'm really liking this new setup. Now I'm just going to have to get used to the new layouts and how things are going to work now.

EDIT: Whoa, this was my first post on the site since it came back up, and I just realized that it's giving me a blank slot for my avatar picture instead of just moving everything in place. Guess I'm going to have to put something there, now. Let me see... How about my old standby...

Edited by kurt91, 21 April 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#18 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Weeeeiiird... :lol:

What's weird? *Tilts head in curiosity*

#19 Aru

Aru

Wandering Hero

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

this is nice awesome job guys though it takes time getting used to :)

#20 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Wow. You guys really did a number on the place. Great jarb.

#21 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

The site looks pretty nice. I admit, I'm going to miss that collage background from the old version, but other than that, I'm really liking this new setup. Now I'm just going to have to get used to the new layouts and how things are going to work now.

This was also my only complaint, but the new site is so awesome it doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. I am excited to see what this holds for PureZC's future, cause this is the biggest overhaul in the site's history, and you guys have really done a great job in modernizing the old site. Kudos :)

My personal favorite additions are the ability to have quest pages, and, you can finally edit reviews and comments, and reply :D

EDIT: Wow, that is cool that you can go to a member's quest, tiles, etc. by clicking on their name. I didn't notice that in the beta, and that's a nice touch.

Edited by Anthus, 21 April 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#22 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

I submitted an update to my quest and within minutes it was online. This new submission format alone is a huge improvement over the old site :thumbsup:
  • Hoff123 likes this

#23 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

This new themes look awesome and all, and I really appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this update, but there's one major problem rightnow! The light green blends in with the white, and it's extremely hard to find the input boxes D=.

#24 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

The new site looks awesome! And with a lot of cool features. Well done! :)

#25 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

As someone who browses PureZC forums from my iPhone 99% of the time the fact it has a mobile view is great, no more having to zoom in and out and scroll around to read.

Very well done.

#26 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

Normally I hate to be an ass, but in the words of The Doctor 'I see you've redecorated: I don't like it.'.

That's possibly only true until i get used to it, but the auto-activating menus are immediately getting in my face, and the standard navigation system that I was used to using is gone. I had some difficulty navigating, and am still trying to find where some of what I was used to seeing has moved on the screen.

Is there any way to swap the interface to view threads and topics by category, instead of using what I assume are flash-based or JAVA based menus? YouTube, eBay, Yahoo and Facebook/GMail all did stuff like this, and it gets old; sort fo as if I went to a friend's home and changed around their furniture on a routine, but random basis.

I like subdued interfaces, as do many others, not flashy in your face stuff. I refuse to upgrade to the 'New Yahoo Mail' because it went from opening messages as individual HTML pages to some kind of JAVA or Flash based stuff that has to reload and requires lots of bandwidth; it also loses its mind if you have a bandwidth dropout while using it, and tends to hate multiple sessions.

I don't know if I'll experience that here, but usually active scripted menus and messaging have this issue on any platform.

In fact, right now I am STUCK with a popup that says '2 new Replies Added'. Really, that isn't what i want floating on my screen. I'll see the replies when I refresh. (It stayed in place for half a minute, blocking the view of my text box.) It's really just very much in my face about everything, in a bullying way; that's why I don't use Facebook or Windows 7+. I prefer to control my environment, not the other way 'round. ...

Quite a few places change their layout suddenly, so some warning (or user/experiment feedback) is often best, especially when people use a forum for a long time and then every single feature is moved. it took me a long while to figure out where my mailbox went, as an example, and it used to be pretty straightforward, showing new messages I really prefer PM notifications to be very simple, and obvious, and to use as little extra scripting components as possible. (I install NoScript on everything to ensure I have control of what is being executed.)

Is there a way for you to require a click to activate a menu? The real issue is that everything seems very much tossed at my face, rather than being force-selected. I've one of those old-fashioned people that likes to actually tell things to activate; to manually select what I want.

The overall result seems to be more face-book-ish... I also don;t know how mobile-device friendly it is as yet. I know that I used the old site on my mobile regularly, but this may or may not work.

If both use the same database, perhaps for us crab apples, you could add a subdomain (e.g. old.purezc.com) and archive the old interface there, allowing DB entry for forums and mail, but ignoring the newer stuff that we may not need or want. That would make the transition easier, at any rate.

My suggestions, if you are open to them are as follows:
  • Allow using the old interface on a subdomain; I know that i can do this on the forums that I manage, so I'm hoping your DB is compatible.
  • Menus should only open when clicked; maybe as a UI option in preferences?
  • Allow custom CSS templates (possibly by submission. (I could probably knock one out in a day or two that is more like the old design, if you want to accept some submissions to add to the Themes menu.)
  • Make PMs more prominent, and the user buttons slightly larger. For example, I see what could be a gear, a sun, or a dot surrounded by squiggles; next to that is a raindrop. What do these mean?
If I looked at one of the theme layouts, I could probably make one that closely resembled the old version to install as a user choice.

Some BBCode also seems broken, including
[li]

My main gripes are as follows:
  • Stuff pops up everywhere, including alerts and menus. This may cause the site to not work on older mobile devices and some OSes/Browsers.
  • There is no theme that looks like the old interface for those who want that.
  • I do not see a way to change the default editor to a BBCode version (instead of the WYSIWYG; this means that I'll probably type a bunch of BBCode that doesn't work.
  • Alert messages should be something I can disable.`
  • There are widgets and gadgets int he interface with graphics that aren't self-explanatory (and are too small); perhaps some Zelda-inspired icons would work better. (I would be happy to make those for you.)
  • Mail is now almost hidden in the upper-right.
On the plus side, I like some of the colour choices and some of the new content.
  • I think mint green would look better than tan though, for a border, as the tan is distracting but a very pale green would not pull at the eyes.
  • Having quick menus is nice, as long as I need to click on them to activate them.The
  • The WYSIWYG editor is nice, if I remember it's there. (An obvious button to switch to full BBCode/HTML editing would be nice to have in the toolbar though.)
  • The search bar is very useful, and the new search mechanism seems friendlier.
  • The Participants pane is also handy.
  • The 'Quest Project Feed' looks like a brilliant feature, but I see no way to add anything to it.
One groan that has carried over for searching is flood control... I still get irritated at the 2-minute flood control; is that really necessary? When I mis-type a word by one letter I need to wait two minutes to go back and fix it. Can you enable flood-control for non-users (e.g. not registered or not logged-in) and disable it for members?)

The post-length maximum in the scipting forums needs to be longer. I have run into 'maximum post length exceeded' problems there a few times, and just chopped off parts of posts in frustration to get them through.

The link for the rules pertaining to quest project additions is broken (http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=50301)

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 21 April 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#27 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

My feelings on the update are very positive overall.

That being said, one feature that I miss from the old database is the "more by this author" pull-down menu. I know you can just copy the author's name and make a search for it but it's an extra hassle.

Any chance we could have that back?

#28 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

My feelings on the update are very positive overall.

That being said, one feature that I miss from the old database is the "more by this author" pull-down menu. I know you can just copy the author's name and make a search for it but it's an extra hassle.

Any chance we could have that back?

Mouseover the Creator: username link and the personal tooltip that shows up has 4 options at the bottom: View Quests, Tilesets, Tiles, Music.

#29 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

So this might sound kinda stupid, but is there a way to undo featuring a quest? I had assumed it was a staff feature that was visible because of a bug so I clicked it to see if it worked and now I see that I'm a complete idiot.

#30 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

There also seems to be no way to add screenshots to a quest project submission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users