I kinda want to talk about a few quest concepts I have and maybe hear what quest ideas/concepts other people have to share. Anyways I'll start by sharing a few of my own ideas/pipe dreams for a few quests I eventually want to make.
Quest Idea #1: A GB Zelda styled demake of Dink Smallwood
I honestly think that a demake of Dink Smallwood using the Vintage Dreams tileset as a starting point has the potential to be good.
The original Dink Smallwood was a funny and satirical game from 1998 that had gameplay reminiscent of the classic Zelda games but with Isometric graphics and kinda had a simple exp system where every time up leveled up your health get expanded slightly and you get a single point that you can use to either expand your Attack Power (how much damage you do), Your Magic (which reduces the cooldown time on the handful of spell you find, which works like classic Zelda items) or your Defense power (How much damage you take).
There's a few noteworthy things about Dink Smallwood that would be easy to do in Zelda Classic (Bombs are one of the items Dink uses. The Alk Nuts and Elixirs are both healing items Dink can use. The crossbow can be easily done with the vanilla Bow, The Fireball spell, easily subbed in with the Wand; and the Scroll can be substituted with the Bait) and a few that might required some scripting (The Acid Rain spell, the Herb/Hyper Boots which not only allows Dink to move fast when equipped but also allows him to punch really fast as well, potentially making the Fists the strongest weapon in the game in terms of having a high DPS despite having a much lower base damage than the strongest sword in the game).
One the big motivations and reasons I have for this idea is because I think Dink Smallwood if it were remade as a quest for Zeldaclassic has potential, especially if expanded and fleshed out a bit further.
Quest Idea #2: An YS/Legend of Zelda crossover quest
This is another one I been ruminating, pondering and thinking about. This quest idea basically is an excuse for an Adol Christin/Link teamup where you control both heroes (Red and Green respectively)
and I have the basic idea of the area progression though out a bit but it's the basic gameplay I'm agonizing about because how do you incentivize players to swap between Adol and Link? Both heroes have some similar items between them (The Mask of Eyes and the Lens of Truth immediately comes to mind).
Before I vent out on the various approaches I have considered on incentivizing the players to swap between the two I wish to discuss the progression I have in mind when it comes to traveling the quest's overworld and the basic beginning of how the quest's story would start.
The story starts out in media res in another fight against Ganon. The results of the battle causes the triforce to split and fly off, opening rifts across areas in Hyrule leading to Adol's World and somehow Link teams up with Adol after meeting him in the quest's level 1 dungeon (The Shrine of Solomon on Esteria/The Eastern Palace in Hyrule) and so Link and Adol have to travel all over Adol's world to gather the rest of the Triforce pieces. Basically each rift in Hyrule is connected to a dungeon that leads to a spot in Adol's World. So here is a list of what rifts leads to what part of Adol's World. The iteration of Hyrule I am using for this quest idea is kinda a vague composite Hyrule with some ALTTP influences.
- 1st Rift: In the Eastern Palace, this rifts goes to the northern part of the island of Esteria which contains both Ramia Village from YS Book 2 and the Shrine of Solomon. The first Triforce piece can be found there.
- 2nd Rift: In Kakariko Village, this rift goes to the island of Felghana (YS III - although I would use the Oath in Felghana version of Felghana as a reference point), which contains both Redmont Village, Tigray Quarry, Illburn Ruins and Valestine Castle. Two of the Triforce pieces can be found here.
- 3rd Rift: In the Lost Woods, this rift goes to the Great Forest of Celceta (In this case I would most likely wing it a little and make this iteration of the Great Forest of Celceta be a composite of it's Dawn of YS and Mask of the Sun versions), which contains the nearby town of Casnan, the ruins of Lefance's ancient kingdom once more buried in the Great forest. A Triforce piece can be found here.
- 4th Rift: In the Zora's Domain, this rift goes to the Canaan Isle, which contains Rehdan Village, Quatera Woods, Port Rimorage, The Canaan Grasslands, Grana-Vallis Mountain, The Mythos Path ruins, and The Ruined City Kishgal. Three of the Triforce pieces can be found here.
- 5th Rift: In the Desert of Mystery, this rift goes to southern Altago. which contains the Segram Desert, Segram Village and the Flame Shrine. A Triforce piece can be found here.
Now to discuss the various notes and ideas I have regarding that core gameplay problem I have eluded to earlier.
- I have considered Adol exclusive and Link exclusive paths in dungeons.
- I have also considered combination moves that the two of them can do, but that is kinda beyond my skill in terms of zscript coding.
- Item exclusivity? This is one I'm ruminating on.
- Give Adol his Classic ability (YS Book 1 and 2) to damage enemies by ramming into them off center in addition to sword stabs but making sword slashes exclusive to Link? This is one I consider to have some merit and heck even a a few of the vanilla enemies play right into this idea nicely (Have a Darknut problem? Let Adol ram into the Darknut).
- There's also the iffy idea I'm considering of bringing in the classic EXP system from YS Book 1 and 2 but how would you balance that in addition to Hearts and Magic Containers? I see this as having the potential to be nightmarishly broken. Although I could impose a Level cap, Like maybe Level 50 or so.
- And how about the item menu design, let alone allowing equipable armors for both of them? This is getting into some seriously complex territory here.
- I have also thought about the cool idea of further strengthening the Master sword with ores from each region, each infusion of exotic ore making the Master Sword strong than before. In Adol's world there's
- Cleria Ore (Esteria)
- Raval Ore (Felghana)
- Black and White Emalas (Canaan Isles)
- Titano Bones (Altago)
- I have also consider Ganon pulling a bit of necromancy and reviving a few of Adol's past enemies to serve him
- I swear the more I talk this idea the more madly ambitious it gets
and this is just a few of the quest ideas I have been ruminating on. Feel free to share yours
Edited by FireSeraphim, 09 February 2019 - 09:09 AM.