Photo

Screenshot of the Week 361

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 361 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

I do find I have to agree ... Cukeman's, while I can now see what he was going for, really... feels a little bit chaotic. Not a bad screen, but I see a few things that look odd:

- Mainly, the waterfalls look too long in the center, and they just feel weird on the sides as well - perhaps an effect of the waterfalls in the center?
- The various bridge colors throw me off. I certainly see the effect now that it's been explained to me, but... perhaps only individual planks (instead of two) could be discolored, or the color tweaked - I'm not sure quite what level of classic modification you're limiting yourself to. Personally, I'd darken the bleached planks (or lighten the normal ones) - as it is, the difference is too much. Provided you're sticking to normal palettes, however, it doesn't look weird to the point where I'd advise dropping the effect entirely. I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about tweaking it without trying myself, so play with the effect a bit!

- The whirlpool tiles feel weird - this is more something about 2.5's Classic set that bugs me, though, and as far as I'm aware they're the only tiles provided. It's no huge, huge issue like the waterfalls seem to be, however.

I certainly like your adventurous spirit with Classic, though - keep at it!

As for the other three... nothing really strikes me as special - Geoffrey's is unique in what it's trying to do, so points to him, but it just feels a bit "barren" - of course, this is likely because of what we have to compare it to. I'd like to see what will come of this in the future, though!

Dawnlight's shot, while visually appealing, strikes me as nothing super special. It's a very solid shot, and it gives me a good feeling about the type of quest it would be (if it even is a quest... haven't we all made shots for SOTW only, anyway? icon_razz.gif). I like how you're using a lesser-known set these days, though - haven't seen much love for PTUX, sadly.

I'm going to have to tack a vote on Dragonite, though. The GB style has been growing on me again as of late (Why did it irritate me before? I don't know!), and it nails the eerie atmosphere very well, especially considering the tileset he's working with. I'm quite reminded of Link's Awakening with this shot as a whole - seems like a transition between areas that would appear in the original game. Again, going by this shot alone, I'd be somewhat eager to play the quest.

...Um, wow, I don't usually go this into detail. What happened?

#17 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Mar 27 2012, 04:32 PM) View Post

Dawnlight, is that a WW inspired shot? with Makar behind the falls?

As for my shot I wanted to pull off a classic screen with a large sense of scale to it.
So we have multiple waterfalls pouring over a large cliffside into a lake, Link has to
shoot arrows into the eye of Gohma from the docks/piers/jetties that stretch across
the lake forming a land bridge. You seldom see boss battles outdoors in Zelda, so this
is really cool. Plus it makes for a very interesting battle having to dodge Gohma's fireballs
while traveling the limited paths and still having to line up your arrow shots.
Lastly, I added some flavor by having two colors of wooden boards to show how some
of them have really been bleached in the sun. Wear and tear is a cool detail.

If you understand the caption without having to look it up you are cool.

And no, it wasn't a joke shot you silly, silly people icon_lol.gif

Not everyone is fond of the classic tileset, I guess. Whatever

Now that you explained the screen it certainly does not look like jokeshot anymore (makes my headache gone now). Another reason i thought it to be a joke shot was your shot last week and that some of your other work actually was extremely good. Maybe i took one lesson too much from the story about the boy who cried wolf.

#18 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Eh, I guess I got a bit too concerned with the whole thing. Time to just let it go

#19 MasterPlayer2342

MasterPlayer2342

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

I really think Dawnlight because of the amazing falls and the forest trees and Link gazing into the falls. icon_cat.gif

#20 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Geoffrey
Hm... It's an old-school shot, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't wow me in any respect.

Dragonite
A solid GB-style shot with very strong design (i.e. no areas are too cramped, the burnable tree is well placed, etc.). It has just enough detail. Very nice.

Cukeman
Not too bad except for the jarring waterfall colors. We don't see many environments like this in ZC, so I appreciate the creativity.

Dawnlight
Excellent palette choice and overall "feel" of the area, with the huge cliffs overlooking the river... An absurdly aesthetically-pleasing shot.

I would typically vote for a screen like Dawnlight's, but I'll go for Dragonite's instead because of its strong design--an aspect that gets ignored way too much in SOTW contests. This was a strong week. Great work, everybody. icon_smile.gif

#21 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

icon_smile.gif

It's a good shot from Dawnlight so my vote goes to it.

#22 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Geoffrey - 3 votes = 7.14%
Dragonite - 17 votes = 40.48%
Cukeman - 4 votes = 9.52%
Dawnlight - 18 votes = 42.86%

Total Votes: 42

Dawnlight
IPB Image