Speech dungeon signs doors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ganon360

ganon360

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

Ok with help i have made a cute yet effective 2x2 trial map so testing my abilities

Now my next question is i make a little dungeon and small cave to get a key,sword

and a dungeon for a boomerang

however i found a new issue, actually 3

i decided to make 3 signs and i placed them just where i wanted them to be but i cant figure out how to make sentences on them,

second i cant figure out how to make a working door for the mini dungeon and main dungeon

third i cant find the dungeon page to build the dungeon

i tried http://zcguides.cele...ials/main/start

but it is just confusing me more than Link caught in a whirlpool

#2 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

First off, are you talking about signs where you stand in front of them and press a button to make the message appear? No, you're going to need a script for that.

About your dungeon, here's what you do...

First, go look for "Map Count" on the "Quest" menu. That controls how many maps you're using. Add some more of them so you have space to work with.

Use the comma and period keys to switch maps until you have a blank one, then start building your dungeon. Go into "DMaps" on the Quest menu, and put your dungeon information in a blank space. Keep the DMap in mind.

Return to your overworld and go to the screen with the entrance you want on it. Use the "Tile Warp" option on the "Screen" menu, and set up your entrance there. Use the DMap that your dungeon uses, and put in the screen you want. Press the "Go" button, and if you did everything correctly, you should see the first room of your dungeon. Place the Warp Destination square (The Blue square) where you want Link to appear, just like the cave you made. Repeat the process using the "Side Warp" feature (Quest Menu again) on the side of the screen that has the exit door on it and make it lead to the overworld screen you want.

I tried to be in-depth enough to explain it, but to be honest, even if it's an incomplete explanation, you should be able to figure out the rest from there. Just know that if Link gets trapped in the corner when testing the entrance, you'll want to place the green Continue square so it overlaps the Warp Destination square. There's a setting you can use where you don't need the Continue square, but that always trips me up, so just use that as a quick bug-fix if that happens to you.

Now, if you really want to try and build a sign without a script, you can fake it using direct warps and identical screens with the message on them. However, I kind of think that figuring that out should be pretty good practice. Just take what you learned for building dungeon entrances, and apply a little creativity. You shouldn't have too much trouble. If you still can't figure it out after some trial and error, then come back.

By the way, this should help you out a lot with just about everything. http://www.shardstor...Cwiki/Main_Page

Edited by kurt91, 06 August 2014 - 08:38 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 ganon360

ganon360

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

ok i think i get the dungeon info so if i have two dungeons i need 2 maps so map two is for the mini dungeon and map 3 is for the main dungeon is that right?

ok now how do i create sign scripts?

#4 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Okay, you're not quite understanding this. A script is a small program that you can add to your quest to make it do things that the base engine cannot do. I know how to write some small scripts but 1: a readable sign script is beyond my skills, and 2: I'm not going to be able to teach you scripting in a single post.

I'm not trying to sound patronizing, but why don't you learn what you can do with the base engine before you get into scripting. If you're still having trouble working with the base engine, the last thing you need to do is add another layer of complexity on top of what you're already trying to learn. Like I said, play around with how warps work, and see if you can figure out how to make a direct Insta-Warp to act like a sign when you walk up to it. It'll make good practice for what you're trying to do now, and if it's done well, you may like the effect enough that you won't need the script.

• Lightwulf and ZeldaPlayer like this

#5 ganon360

ganon360

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

hmm it sounds like it might take a while to learn the basic for scripts

i think ill try and learn how after i try a basic map then i can practice

lucky i have Arrow blocks i can use for now

thank you for the help Kurt91

#6 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

There is already a sign script in the script database.  If you don't want to try scripting yourself just yet, you can use that script in your quest.

First, go to the script in the database ad click "View Script".  Next, copy the script and paste it into a new text document (preferably notepad).  At the very top in front of the very first word, press enter twice, and at what is now the very top, write "import "std.zh"" (with only std.zh in quotes).  Save the file as [whatever].z.  then, in ZQ, go to Quest>Scripts>Compile Zscript.  Click on "Import", select the file with the signpost script, then click "Compile!".  Press a key, then select your script on the right, and click the arrow button in the middle to move it to a slot on the left.  Once you have done this, follow the directions in the database entry to set it up properly.

• Lightwulf likes this

#7 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:04 AM

There is already a sign script in the script database.  If you don't want to try scripting yourself just yet, you can use that script in your quest.

First, go to the script in the database ad click "View Script".  Next, copy the script and paste it into a new text document (preferably notepad).  At the very top in front of the very first word, press enter twice, and at what is now the very top, write "import "std.zh"" (with only std.zh in quotes).  Save the file as [whatever].z.  then, in ZQ, go to Quest>Scripts>Compile Zscript.  Click on "Import", select the file with the signpost script, then click "Compile!".  Press a key, then select your script on the right, and click the arrow button in the middle to move it to a slot on the left.  Once you have done this, follow the directions in the database entry to set it up properly.

WHY IS THIS INFORMATION NOT A STICKY ON THE SCRIPTING DISCUSSION FORUM??? This would have been so helpful to know so many weeks back when I was first looking on making readable signs!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speech, dungeon, signs, doors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users