Robot Rights

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

If and when artificial intelligence becomes so good that computers can not only augment their own intelligence, but are self aware and autonomous, what should be done regarding their rights?

Computers right now are not self-aware, much like rocks and plants, and thus have no rights. We use them all the time for just about everything today, just as people used beasts of burden. If they were to become self-aware, because they're able to communicate with humans, would that not bring implications of slavery to the use of robots?

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Deep down, my heart is telling me that they'd still be on the same level as animals, so their rights are not too much of a concern to me. However, if they wind up developing legitimate feelings and emotions...I don't know. I want to say that I'd be willing to accept them on the same level as other people, but the back of my mind would constantly be telling me that's it artificial.

I guess the biggest issue for me is that you could, theoretically, disassemble one of these self-aware robots to the point where they are the robot equivalent of dead. However, you could still rebuild it and have it pick up where it left off. You can't kill a person and bring them back to life (barring certain medical procedures involving near-death). Therefore, the value of human life still seems like it should be on a higher plane.

Edited by Hergiswi, 29 July 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Jul 29 2012, 05:53 PM) View Post

Deep down, my heart is telling me that they'd still be on the same level as animals, so their rights are not too much of a concern to me. However, if they wind up developing legitimate feelings and emotions...I don't know. I want to say that I'd be willing to accept them on the same level as other people, but the back of my mind would constantly be telling me that's it artificial.

I guess the biggest issue for me is that you could, theoretically, disassemble one of these self-aware robots to the point where they are the robot equivalent of dead. However, you could still rebuild it and have it pick up where it left off. You can't kill a person and bring them back to life (barring certain medical procedures involving near-death). Therefore, the value of human life still seems like it should be on a higher plane.

I had a reply typed up but I decided not to post it and wait for someone to word what I said better. I agree with this. And trust me if I seen an attractive anatomically correct robot woman I would hit it all day (not hit as in causing blunt trauma icon_wink.gif ).

But the main question is, what makes us human? Body modifications and artificial organs are now a reality and it would be very hard for me to decide. If I met a real nice girl who I had a lot in common with and found out she was made in a f***ed up government experiment I honestly don't think it would bother me. If she has feelings and emotions and genuinely seemed to understand and feel love.

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

This topic is one gigantic hypothetical. It really depends on how far a robot's capabilities can get, but I highly doubt that we will ever see the day that robots can think for themselves, and thus go beyond carrying out sets of commands. It certainly is an interesting thought though. It would be scary if we ended up with something comparable to Battlestar Galactica's Cylons, as in the skin jobs from the newer series.

#5 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Jul 29 2012, 07:12 PM) View Post

This topic is one gigantic hypothetical. It really depends on how far a robot's capabilities can get, but I highly doubt that we will ever see the day that robots can think for themselves, and thus go beyond carrying out sets of commands. It certainly is an interesting thought though. It would be scary if we ended up with something comparable to Battlestar Galactica's Cylons, as in the skin jobs from the newer series.

That is why I'm just going by the assumption that said robot looks and acts human but might not even know it is a robot. Of course say a Dell computer with artificial intelligence should not have rights. Perhaps you should specify what you mean by robot Beefster. Robot as in modern robots or robots as in human-like?

Also I like this topic though. Robot rights are much more interested and not played out and old like gay rights and the usual debates.

Edited by Daniel, 29 July 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#6 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm going to echo Nathaniel here, and say that it depends on exactly how sentient robots might become. Are we talking complex, sentient beings like in an Asimov story, or Terminator-like robots that have some level of sentience, yet are unable to make choices for themselves?

If we end up with a real-life R Daneel Olivaw, I think it goes without saying that robots deserve full equal rights.

#7 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I think robots should most definitely be given rights, if they were sentient enough to be self-aware. I don't know what else to say except that if they were to have human-level intelligence, self-awareness, emotional capacity (even if merely simulated), why should they be treated any different from ACTUAL humans?

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Jul 29 2012, 08:32 PM) View Post
If we end up with a real-life R Daneel Olivaw, I think it goes without saying that robots deserve full equal rights.
To be quite fair, if we end up with a real-life R Daneel Olivaw, I will fangirl until I die. But that's beside the point.

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

This all reminds me of: http://questionablec....php?comic=2201 as well as the following page.

I...don't really have anything else to say beyond the matter, really.

#9 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Robots are machines. I don't think machines can ever, ever have real personalities, feelings, and especially not souls. Therefore, there's no need for them to have rights.

P.S. This is also why I don't believe there will ever be a robot uprising.

#10 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Jul 29 2012, 09:36 PM) View Post
Robots are machines. I don't think machines can ever, ever have real personalities, feelings, and especially not souls. Therefore, there's no need for them to have rights.
The question was a hypothetical. He wasn't asking if you thought it was possible - rather, if you were to not only assume that it were possible, but fast forward to when it would hypothetically happen, if the robots that were the product of such a circumstance would deserve rights.

#11 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Jul 29 2012, 10:15 PM) View Post

This all reminds me of: http://questionablec....php?comic=2201 as well as the following page.

I...don't really have anything else to say beyond the matter, really.

This is actually somewhat profound. I like the end of it.

This seems like an opportune time for me to point out that my personal visual image is Bender from Futurama.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Jul 29 2012, 08:36 PM) View Post
Humans are machines too. We just have organic components instead of plastic and wire.

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Jul 29 2012, 08:36 PM) View Post
P.S. This is also why I don't believe there will ever be a robot uprising.
I don't see what one has to do with the other, but robot uprisings are slightly off topic so I won't follow that thread.

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Jul 29 2012, 06:12 PM) View Post
but I highly doubt that we will ever see the day that robots can think for themselves, and thus go beyond carrying out sets of commands.
Umm... how are you defining "think"? Because I'd say modern AI can already think - and have been able to for a while now. Maybe I'm just equating "thinking" and "problem solving", and you're comparing sentience to instinct-driven problem solving. In either case, I've seen nothing to suggest we'll never invent sentience.

Regarding robot rights, it's hard to say without the actual robots, but I predict that robots will progress too fast for the issue to ever see any serious discussion. It's actually kind of arrogant to think that robots will become like humans and then stop developing, as if humans are the pinnacle of intelligence. I very much doubt there will be a long span of time where robots of comparable intelligence to humans coexist - I think that phase will only last for a matter of months/years before AI surpasses human intelligence. Our slow, squishy, "just good enough to survive" brains that were the product of unguided natural selection have no chance of keeping up with a brain that was actually designed for intelligence. As soon as we make machines that are smart enough to design and build themselves there will be a rapid snowball effect as they tirelessly improve themselves. They'll be able to do this even without sentience, so a robot uprising is unavoidable.

We should be asking, what rights will our robot overlords grant us? icon_eek.gif

#13 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jul 30 2012, 05:29 AM) View Post
Regarding robot rights, it's hard to say without the actual robots, but I predict that robots will progress too fast for the issue to ever see any serious discussion. It's actually kind of arrogant to think that robots will become like humans and then stop developing, as if humans are the pinnacle of intelligence. I very much doubt there will be a long span of time where robots of comparable intelligence to humans coexist - I think that phase will only last for a matter of months/years before AI surpasses human intelligence. Our slow, squishy, "just good enough to survive" brains that were the product of unguided natural selection have no chance of keeping up with a brain that was actually designed for intelligence. As soon as we make machines that are smart enough to design and build themselves there will be a rapid snowball effect as they tirelessly improve themselves. They'll be able to do this even without sentience, so a robot uprising is unavoidable.

We should be asking, what rights will our robot overlords grant us? icon_eek.gif
IPB Image

That said, I find that your post yields many very good points, and at the moment I can't find anything to disagree with. I'll be thinking about what you said for quite a while.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

ROBOSEXUALITY IS A SIN!! REPENT OF YOUR WICKED WAYS, SINNERS, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!

IPB Image

...Heh. Sorry. icon_heh.gif

Seriously though, this subject has been extremely popular in science fiction over the years, particularly Isaac Asimov, who arguably coined the term "robot" to begin with. As it stands, I don't feel like I really want to speculate that far into the future. It's a confusing topic, and I'm not sure when and whether it will actually become a reality we have to deal with.

#15 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

Well it probably isn't something we will deal with in our lifetime. It's still interesting to think about though. NoeL has some very valid points though. I think it's safe to assume they should stay mindless machines.

Think about the perfect woman. One who cooks and cleans, agrees with everything you say, can stay up all night ironing and doing dishes. Obviously what every man needs is an anatomically correct robot girl. And best of all you can pick what you want them to look like. Who needs a real woman when you can have one made to your liking and train her????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users