Photo

Screenshot of the Week 291

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (48 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

I really liked Sephiroth's.

#17 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

I would have voted for Seph, but the truth is that it doesn't scream at me for attention.

I went with Russ. What is that screen remade from?

#18 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ May 17 2010, 02:13 PM) View Post

I went with Russ. What is that screen remade from?

It's a remake of a screen from my quest Light of the Heavens (release a few months ago):
IPB Image

#19 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

I go for ChunkeM0nkey this time that screen is Awsome.

#20 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sephiroth: I'd be fine with this screen as a filler screen for a quest, but as has been said before, it feels too bland for Screenshot of the Week.
Russ: Light of the Heavens FTW (if you're remaking it, could you make Lucis slightly less insanely hard? icon_razz.gif)! I love this screen. I find it funny how people are nitpicking about the rock and the tree and not even noticing the awkward graphical cutoff around the waterfalls...
ChunkeM0nkey: That tileset pretty much makes any screen made with it look horribly broken when it comes to perspective. The mix of top view trees and overworld tiles simply ruins the shot.

#21 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 17 2010, 04:50 PM) View Post

Russ: Light of the Heavens FTW (if you're remaking it, could you make Lucis slightly less insanely hard? icon_razz.gif)! I love this screen. I find it funny how people are nitpicking about the rock and the tree and not even noticing the awkward graphical cutoff around the waterfalls...

Ya, I noticed that, and fixed it earlier today. Thanks, it's nice to know so many people like my quest. I am remaking it, and I will see about toning down Lucis a bit, since everybody I've talked to about it hates him. icon_razz.gif

#22 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

I voted for Russ. I think it's a good revision of an old shot.

#23 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:06 AM

Nice job Russ! Enough details but not congested.

#24 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

After looking at your shot again (Russ), I agree that the two trees don't feel like they go together. The screen also feels a bit crowded, but not so crowded that it's a major problem.

Also, you shouldn't tone down Lucis. In fact, I think you should increase his difficulty. Especially his first phase (before he transforms.)

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

Sephiroth:

Dude, Link, learn to swim! icon_blah.gif Seriously though, this screen looks attractive and playable. It also has a subscreen, which is a small bonus for any entry.

Whoah... I just realized that there is not a single tile on this screen that I haven't edited at some point, except for Link and the subscreen. That's pretty awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I might've just recolored the Oktoroks and the fish without editing any of their pixels. I forget. It's easy to lose track.

Russ:

I sense a measure of frustration in your caption. I would guess that this is because you're trying to use DoR mountains to create a "lip" that separates the water from the edge of the cliff. Yes, DoR was not made specifically to do that, though as you've demonstrated, it is possible. It looks a little cramped, though.

Did you layer SD3 grass borders over the water on layers 1-2?

ChunkeM0nkey:

Wow, those are actual Super Mario World tiles?... Just goes to show how dated early SNES graphics look like when compared to late SNES graphics.... you did a good job ripping and/or using them, though. On the other hand, they're so simple that there's not much I can say about screen design, except "hey, not bad."

I voted for Sephiroth. His use of DoR tiles is sleek and shows a good understanding of several difficult-to-master tile types -- LTTP-perspective DoR mountains, SD3 grass, and MC water. It's spacious but interesting, and it looks pretty playable, to boot.

#26 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 19 2010, 04:42 AM) View Post

ChunkeM0nkey:

Wow, those are actual Super Mario World tiles?... Just goes to show how dated early SNES graphics look like when compared to late SNES graphics.... you did a good job ripping and/or using them, though. On the other hand, they're so simple that there's not much I can ssay about screen design, except "hey, not bad."

Actually, the mario tileset is made from SMW overworld tiles (which were some of the most plain tiles in the game), Super Mario Bros 3 Advance level tiles, and custom tiles (like the pipe). It also only has about 4 or 5 level palettes...

#27 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 19 2010, 03:42 AM) View Post

Russ:

I sense a measure of frustration in your caption. I would guess that this is because you're trying to use DoR mountains to create a "lip" that separates the water from the edge of the cliff. Yes, DoR was not made specifically to do that, though as you've demonstrated, it is possible. It looks a little cramped, though.

Did you layer SD3 grass borders over the water on layers 1-2?

Not so much frustration. It just took a whole long time for me to do. DoR might not be made for you, but you can force it to work like that. And it looks good, I think.

Yes, the grass borders are on layer 1 and 2. Why?

#28 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Voted for Russ. The other two just didn't appeal to me much.

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 19 2010, 04:41 AM) View Post
Actually, the mario tileset is made from SMW overworld tiles (which were some of the most plain tiles in the game), Super Mario Bros 3 Advance level tiles, and custom tiles (like the pipe). It also only has about 4 or 5 level palettes...

I guess it's fair to point out that Super Mario World has much better tiles. But most later SNES games wouldn't have anything like that in the game at all.

Anyway, it seems like you're using the tiles correctly, regardless.

QUOTE(Russ @ May 20 2010, 07:44 PM) View Post
Not so much frustration. It just took a whole long time for me to do. DoR might not be made for you, but you can force it to work like that. And it looks good, I think.

Yes, the grass borders are on layer 1 and 2. Why?

Well, I'm glad you're patient, but if it takes so long to do, maybe there's an easier way around it. It depends on how flexible you want the graphics to be. Ironically, flexible graphics sometimes take longer to work with since you need to use a wider variety of tiles.

For instance, I realize you are using the SD3 grass borders and water from the DoR tileset "right-out-of-the-box," but it would be possible to combine SD3 grass borders and water into one layer if someone employed 8-bit mode to create some new tiles. It might limit the flexibility, though, so whether or not that is worthwhile depends on how tight you want your control over the appearance to be.

Make sense?...

#30 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

Sephiroth - 16 votes = [35.56%]
Russ - 20 votes = [44.44%]
ChunkeM0nkey - 9 votes = [20.00%]
Total Votes: 45

Russ
IPB Image
This is what happens when you take a detailed Pure screen and try to turn it into a detailed DoR screen...

Russ wins this installment! Now onto Screenshot of the Month for even greater glory!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users