EZGB Palletes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight Hero

Twilight Hero

Heir to the Hero

• Members

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:31 PM

Hi guys! I'm back after my long hiatus. I just downloaded the EZGB tileset and have been playing around with it for the last couple of days, and I want to make a quest with it. I just can't decide which overworld palette to use. Which one do you think looks best for a standard, run-of-the-mill Hyrule?

#2 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:46 AM

If I'm being honest, I would try using Vintage Dreams instead. It has all the same tiles, but immensely better organization and miles better palettes if I'm being honest. Along with the script integration and easily modifiable layout, it's almost a no-brainer replacement.

• Hergiswi and Mani Kanina like this

#3 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:19 AM

If I'm being honest, I would try using Vintage Dreams instead. It has all the same tiles, but immensely better organization and miles better palettes if I'm being honest. Along with the script integration and easily modifiable layout, it's almost a no-brainer replacement.

i would second this, but if for some reason you're dead-set on using the standard ezgb, i would personally say that the holodrum overworld palettes look nicer than the labrynna present palette. obviously labrynna's past palette is quite a change and could be used for different effect. winter & autumn are distinct enough that you could use them for designated areas and then just choose between either summer or spring for the main parts of the overworld. that might be personal preference more than anything.

or you could just go crazy and do full monochrome like link's awakening

• Mani Kanina and Twilight Hero like this

#4 Twilight Hero

Twilight Hero

Heir to the Hero

• Members

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:34 AM

Thanks!

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:35 AM

Most of the accurate to GBC colour palettes are less than ideal on modern screens with backlighting. So while I would, like Hergiswi did, recommend you use the holodrum overworld palettes for this purpose if you're using EZGBZ, I'd recommend tweaking the saturation. The Link's awakening overworld palette is also fine but similarly I would tweak the saturation. The Labrynna palette tend to be a bit brighter so that one needs more tweaking than the others, so if you want to use something out of the box I'd not recommend that one.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 15 June 2021 - 09:35 AM.

#6 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

There's a few quirks with this tileset that you will want to look out for:

-Most enemies and items' colour variants use CSet 6 and separate tiles. Make sure when cloning or creating new items/enemies/misc. sprites to set the CSet to 6 if you want to use the "main" colours of red, orange, blue, green, and beige that many sprites use. Also, you're gonna have to "bake" the colour or flashing that you want into the sprite or combo, or do some reorganizing of the main palette if you want to use actual different CSets or palette cycling for items/enemies (or have Link/enemies flash when they hurt instead of blink).

-Quite a few tiles are uncomboed. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't look in the tile pages for stuff to use and only use the existing combos. I can understand the above issue as a conscious decision to use ZC's improved from pre-2.5 customization of enemy CSets and use the other CSets for more varied combo and item appearances, but I definitely think this issue is time to be improved upon.

-Small gripe but... the yellow in CSet 6 is pukey. I'd recommend improving it if you want to use "yellow" objects or you can just replace these two colours with whatever you need for your quest, since most "golden" things in GBC Zelda are orange and beige.

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users