DoR Lost Hills

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

First of all, please read the rest of the thread. I already mentioned that I dislike what most people mean by the term "ground detail" and find it unhelpful as a suggestion.

The term "bland" is also vague and unhelpful and, ironically, leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

Apologies, but it's a long thread and I didn't feel like reading all the replies. Sorry if I offended you or you thought my post was unhelpful, I was just stating my opinion. If you would like me to be more helpful...

Dirt-patches, flowers, plants, shrubs and the like need to be a little more abundant. I realize the area is supposed to look dead but there has to be something that stimulates my aesthetic interest and it just kind of isn't there. You have a great, comprehensive set you're working with so if you rake through it and try to find a few more tiles for variety I'm sure it won't be that hard for you, but it would do loads to make the area look better.

As for Status Report, I meant something more like a regular updates thread. I realize that giving estimates and percentages typically doesn't work so well but if there was a place that told people what areas were planned, what was done, what you were planning to do... it could keep people more interested and it would give me a better idea of what's going on in the progress of the game.

Once again, sorry if I offended you with my comments and I hope you find this post more helpful.

#32 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Jun 30 2009, 01:45 PM) View Post
Apologies, but it's a long thread and I didn't feel like reading all the replies. Sorry if I offended you or you thought my post was unhelpful, I was just stating my opinion. If you would like me to be more helpful...

Dirt-patches, flowers, plants, shrubs and the like need to be a little more abundant. I realize the area is supposed to look dead but there has to be something that stimulates my aesthetic interest and it just kind of isn't there. You have a great, comprehensive set you're working with so if you rake through it and try to find a few more tiles for variety I'm sure it won't be that hard for you, but it would do loads to make the area look better.

As for Status Report, I meant something more like a regular updates thread. I realize that giving estimates and percentages typically doesn't work so well but if there was a place that told people what areas were planned, what was done, what you were planning to do... it could keep people more interested and it would give me a better idea of what's going on in the progress of the game.

Well, the thread was only two pages long when you posted. You may want to try skimming it next time. If you don't like reading replies from other members, it often helps to only read posts made by the original poster. Yes, it takes a couple of minutes, but it also takes me time to repeat myself to different people so often. I wasn't offended, but I am a little bit exasperated.

Dirt clumps, flowers, plants, shrubs... I'll keep those in mind, but since all of those are 1x1 combos big, I probably won't use them excessively.

I've tried having a single update thread before, but that kinda negates the purpose of having a QPF, in my opinion. About half of the topics are DoR-related in this QPF, so why cram it into a single thread, which will probably end up being 20+ pages long? icon_shrug.gif Anyway, if you want DoR updates, just go to the Blue Crescent Quests forum index and look for DoR threads. I'll try to put "DoR" or "Dance of Remembrance" in the title of each update thread from now on, so it will stand out. Will that help? Or are you asking because you want to rely on topic subscriptions?

#33 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 30 2009, 06:37 PM) View Post
There doesn't seem to be a way to make LTTP-style full-screen moving mist with FFCs

What kind of motion are you after?
Just movement in one direction that wraps around the screen? 'Cause that's definately possible with FFCs.

#34 Prophecy Face

Prophecy Face

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

In aLttP the mist moves in a diagonal direction, which might be more complicated.

#35 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Not really, just set a X speed and Y speed. But perhaps you mean the mist has to "connect" well with other screens, because that indeed would be harder.

#36 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

Well, I would like continuous diagonal movement that wraps around to the other side of the screen once it reaches the edge (completely and seamlessly connected in all four directions), and also carries over seamlessly to the new screen during screen warp.

Part of the problem is that the repeating portion of the mist would be quite large. LTTP's is about as big as the entire screen.

#37 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

Ah, well having it connect between screens isn't really possible no.
Although you could script it to work properly like that, it wouldn't show up while you were scrolling between screens which looks pretty horrendous.

#38 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Okay... it's actually comforting to know that it is indeed impossible, because I've already dedicated a lot of time to an alternative.

I do know wraparound is possible to an extent, though...

#39 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

I'd say leave it the way it is then if its impossible. Will link's pallete at least change when he's underneath the mist clouds?

#40 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Jul 8 2009, 04:01 PM) View Post
I'd say leave it the way it is then if its impossible. Will link's pallete at least change when he's underneath the mist clouds?

Well, the transparency filter affects Link just like it affects everything else. Have you seen it in action?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users