Photo

Screenshot of the Week 315 - Anions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (55 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Avataro @ Mar 29 2011, 08:18 AM) View Post

With link & enemies, screens have more life in them, and they look more "real".

Thank you Radien! I did not make the shadow in the water though. icon_smile.gif

Personally I prefer Giggidys screen. I just love the MC tiles, it would look so great ingame!

lol i understand that but i just dont feel like this screen needed any thats all :3

#32 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE(catfriedrice @ Mar 28 2011, 08:15 PM) View Post
Close, the player gets the ladder. In this particular room, the heart cannot be reached no matter which direction the player comes through, save for that left middle platform (which makes it ideal for a bombable wall/secret wall/etc that the player has to research) Also, the stair door can only be reached by the top right door, and the top middle door can only be reached by the bottom right platform. Makes for interesting mazes.
But I do like your idea with the rocs feather, and the template design.

Ahaaa, I see. I have never put the ladder in a quest that was not a remake of the original LoZ, so I unintentionally ruled out the Ladder when I saw the DoR graphics.

It's not that I hate the concept of the Ladder; I just find that it is really buggy in ZC, particularly when used in combination with the Flippers. And I'm not sure how the Ladder responds to walkable water....

QUOTE(chainswap @ Mar 29 2011, 02:39 AM) View Post
i completely agree for me screenshot of the week doesnt have to have link in it its not called "screenshot of the week with enemies and link" now is it Xb

anyways voted for Giggidy very nice screen and i like the feel of it

Well yeah, but the contest also doesn't bother to say "well-designed screens only." Good screenshots show something happening. Without action, it's not a screenshot so much as a "mock-up."

You're perfectly free to enter every SOTW with nothing more than a tile demo, snapshotted straight from ZQuest. And we're perfectly free to never vote for them. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Mar 29 2011, 10:17 AM) View Post
I am horribly offended and will never forgive you. Ever. icon_glare.gif

Naw, I'm kidding. icon_razz.gif

I think it may be that my concept didn't come out the way I had hoped; it's supposed to be a flying temple. Thing is, I wanted to add a little extra to it, so I made it a forest temple as well, hence the overhanging leaves. (Since regular flying temples have been done plenty of times now) The 'fog' are actually clouds to help with the sky feel, but since I felt it would be too obstructive, I decided to make them transparent. (As with the clouds underneath, though I may have been able to get away with not making it transparent.

Actually, after I had submitted the shot, I started questioning a few things like the torches and the brown vines/roots.

Thanks for being receptive. icon_smile.gif Now that I hear what you were going for, I totally understand how you would encounter difficulty.

Might I suggest that you could alter the palette? Minish Cap's sky temple had a different palette for the outdoor areas, even though the outdoor wall graphics were similar (and in some ways identical) to the indoor walls. If you use the Forest Temple palette, which is rather dark, it will look like nighttime. The overworld Cset I included in DoR's Forest Temple palette was primarily intended for showing shrubs and greenery inside the temple, rather than overworld tiles outside of it.

Anyway, keep at it. It's okay to use some overworld tiles inside a dungeon, or some dungeon tiles outside, but there's an art to determining which graphics will look best outside of their normal environment.

#33 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

Moo2wo - 1 vote = [2.22%]
Yoshidude - 2 votes = [4.44%]
catfriedrice - 2 votes = [4.44%]
Saffith - 7 votes = [15.56%]
Giggidy - 9 votes = [20.00%]
SpacemanDan - 20 votes = [44.44%]
Total Votes: 45

SpacemanDan
IPB Image
Staring down the glowing eyes...What? A forest temple in the sky?

Congratulations to SpacemanDan on a meaty victory over a plethora of competitors!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users