The Cambria Tileset

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:10 PM

A compilation of dozens of community-sourced assets, edits, and palettes...

qXrxYtZ.png

• â€¢ â€¢

What is Cambria?
Cambria is a tileset created by Shane and I, with the help of countless community members. Our goal was to compile years worth of classic-styled assets into a single cohesive package, set up for immediate use.

Why make Cambria?
Many wonderful graphics have been created by many people, but these graphics end up buried in private Discord PMs, servers, or even on the loose tile database. By creating Cambria, Shane and I have put the best of these assets in one place, saving you hours of headache when it comes to setting up a pretty classic quest from scratch!

Whose work is Included?
The credits list is fairly lengthy. A bulk of the custom assets were created by members such as Shane, Joelmacool, Jenny, Lightwulf, Anthus, and TheBlueTophat. I have personally spent many hours editing existing graphics for use in this set.

When will it be ready?
The tileset is basically already complete. There are some minor tweaks that I could stand to make in the organization of tile pages, but what you see here is more or less final. That said, the answer to, "when will this be ready," is given in the next section...

What's the point of this thread?
I am making this thread to not only showcase Cambria, but also to provide a download of an open beta for the set. It can be easy to overlook some necessary features during development. My hope is that interested users will mess around with Cambria and provide feedback concerning how to improve the tileset, and then I will submit it to the database.

Enough BS, what does it look like?
Click here to view an imgur album. Alternatively, have a look below!

sSKHOfN.png    5JOM2GQ.png    fJCfwQA.png

ol9axrc.png    wzrdEhp.png    LCVE8gQ.png

aUt4VPU.png    VerR4ze.png    PwlpAO4.png

sutnNHN.png    vEqE34X.png    bZ6akdK.png

PbTkLeX.png    feuFEYf.png    IihqWN5.png

Download Link
Download the tileset here. Credits are bundled in. Thank you for your time and attention! 

IMPORTANT NOTE!

The set was made in 2.53 but should be forwards compatible. We plan an alternate version of the set for the new ZC 2.55 fork, spearheaded by Emily and Dimi. Ideally, this 2.55 version will be the new default ZC tileset.

• ShadowTiger, bigjoe, Rambly and 18 others like this

#2 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:43 PM

yeah great looks great

• Rambly, Anthus, Shane and 3 others like this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:44 PM

yeah great looks great

gulps ya

• Hergiswi, Anthus, Aslion and 3 others like this

#4 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 13 August 2021 - 02:00 PM

This tileset is too big to be gulped!

• Hergiswi, Anthus, Shane and 2 others like this

#5 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 13 August 2021 - 02:13 PM

cumbria

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Hergiswi and 6 others like this

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:30 PM

This might very well become the defacto classic tileset going forwards.

• Magi_Hero, Anthus and Matthew like this

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:07 PM

Where do I subscribe!?
  • Anthus and Matthew like this

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:33 PM

Well this is an amazing tileset!  Thank you all for the immensely hard work you've put in!   I've got a few questions or suggestions.

1)  The very first 8 combos - What are those?  Just different-colored floors for various things?

2)  Normally, in the beginning of a tileset, I put a few "utility" combos that are used all over the place, but usually below some layer or other.  I've got stuff like combo 0 being blank and walkable, combo 1 being blank and unwalkable, combo 3 being a save point that would go beneath a layer, then four or five variants of Stairs[A-D+Random], Direct Warp[A-D+Random] etc.   Will there be any accommodations for that?

3)  What's up with Combos 636 through 667? - Those black pits. They're fully walkable, but only the last few are shallow water and the rest aren't. Is that unfinished, or...?

4)  Combos 762 - The Whirlpools.  Any plans to have a Warp[A-D] variety of those?  Somehow I feel compelled to just have those available wherever there's any kind of warp.

5)  Combos 844 through 879 - They're clouds, but they're also "No Enemies" types.  What are their functions and placement  intentions, especially with that no enemies type?

6)  Combo 114 (The skeletons, etc.) - Do you think those would be better off with transparent-background varieties for placement on all sorts of floors?  It seems like the perfect doodad for that.  I see a lot of combos in that area that would be pretty useful with transparent background variations.  I'd be happy to volunteer to make those if you want.

7)  Looking at the lavafalls on example screen 0x06, I'm wondering if a lavafall + bubbles tile could be useful. It looks a bit odd for a lavafall to just end in bubbles with no transition.

8)  Given the advancements in the very, very latest ZC 2.55 Alpha 92 builds regarding signposts and chests, do you think you'll be adding more combos to accommodate?

9)  Same question for things like snow with footprints or cracked floors.  Maybe sound effects could be included.  Who knows. Folks love little details like that.

10)  I see that combo 304 is tall grass.  Is there any accommodation for slashed grass tiles?  I'm not sure if I see one on that tiles page.

11)  Under the "Structures" area of the Combo Pages, I see multiple "Cave Walk Down [A]" Combo types.  Because all of those are just black combos of a Cave Walk Down type, would it be beneficial to just have one row of those four [A-D] combo types at the beginning of the Combo Page section and have them applied through-out each to save space?  Feels odd to have multiple copies of the same combo and then have another same [A] type next to the [B-D] types.

12)  Chest combo 498 - In your opinion, could it use more of a "Key-Hole" graphic on its front instead of a little horizontal slit and some fancier markings?  As a first impression, "fancy" doesn't necessarily mean "needs a key."

13)  Any plans for ruined houses and other similar ruins?

14)  After combo 1871, those Sideview tiles, I might recommend putting a spacer between the walkable and unwalkable combos so they're very easily differentiatable. 

Okay, that's it for now.  Really cool tileset! :thumbsup:

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Mitchfork and 2 others like this

#9 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:36 PM

this looks awesome, can't wait for the coheed tileset

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Anthus and 2 others like this

#10 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:50 PM

May I suggest tossing in those Classic-styled Letter Floor Tiles, to be used in puzzles?

https://www.purezc.n...e=tiles&id=1382

https://www.purezc.n...e=tiles&id=1395

https://www.purezc.n...e=tiles&id=1399

• Matthew likes this

#11 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:29 PM

ShadowTiger - Those are a bunch of really good suggestions. Some of the things you pointed out are errors on my part and I'm glad you caught them. Others are ideas that I hadn't considered, but would like to add. I'm too busy at the moment to answer all of your queries in depth, but know that they will all be considered. Thanks again for taking the time to provide your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Alucard - I like those tiles, and they definitely could have a place under the "FONTS" section of the tile pages. I likely won't combo them, since there's a lot of them. However, having them present for users within the tile pages will certainly be helpful.

• ShadowTiger and coolgamer012345 like this

#12 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:31 PM

Alucard - I like those tiles, and they definitely could have a place under the "FONTS" section of the tile pages. I likely won't combo them, since there's a lot of them. However, having them present for users within the tile pages will certainly be helpful.

One more small conribution:

Spoiler

Edited by Alucard648, 13 August 2021 - 10:19 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 August 2021 - 03:16 AM

So cool seeing the reception for this tileset. Matthew really went above and beyond with organizing my mess of tiles and adding in things I was too lazy to add myself.  :P Going to be looking into making more tiles based on recommendations. 

12)  Chest combo 498 - In your opinion, could it use more of a "Key-Hole" graphic on its front instead of a little horizontal slit and some fancier markings?  As a first impression, "fancy" doesn't necessarily mean "needs a key."

Matthew! I had locked chests of both designs for this purpose.  :blah:

Locked_Chests.png

• ShadowTiger and Matthew like this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 August 2021 - 07:09 AM

Hello new default classic set!

• ShadowTiger, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

#15 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 14 August 2021 - 04:37 PM

My attempt to draw boss-locked chests.

rPjrhKF.png

Edited by Alucard648, 14 August 2021 - 04:40 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Shane, Jared and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users