forum open source zelda zquest classic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:45 PM

While the OpenZC.org website and the OpenZC forum have been live for some time now, I feel that I may as well canonically announce them.

This is a brand new, and neutral site, that ultimately takes the place of AGN forums for all future official ZC development, news, and discussion. The main website focuses on the present, open nature of ZC, and its assets; while the forums primarily focused on ZC itself.

If you are looking for another venue to meet people, to have goo conversations, and to discuss the software in any regard, please feel welcome to sign up there. The forum uses the most recent version of phpBB, so it isn't running on outdate or insecure software.

The host is very fast, and the forum allows attaching files direct to posts (hosted locally), which is useful for help topics, quest discussion, bug reports, and development topics.

While the intent here is to provide a new website and forum for current, and for future, users of ZC, we do not intend to kill the AGN forums, so if you are a member there, you have nothing to worry about. This simply splits ZC itself into its own entity for forum support, and it is managed by the ZC Development team, not the AGN staff, so it is entirely its own entity in regard to staff and policy.

Those of us running the site intend to remain strictly neutral with regard to current socio-political issues, and will not take sides officially in any such melodrama. The service exists to support a software userbase, and we plead with you to leave any grievances that you may have with members here or elsewhere, in another context. They have no place on a clean and open forum.

In the same light, we do not intend to attempt to supplant, or to replace PZC with this service. OpenZC is merely an alternative, and a place where we hope, that all users will fell welcome, and receive the services and support that they need from using our product. We welcome you to join us.

• Magi_Hero, Anthus, Shane and 5 others like this

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 14 June 2020 - 10:00 PM

i can't believe new forums are still being created in 2020

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:30 AM

I think I might have stumbled across the link to the forums are exactly the wrong time, because "Forum" leads to an SQL error and "Forums" as a URL is a 404 so that's not it either. 

I might've already made my username earlier so there's that.  Just be patient, folks, I suppose. 

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:45 AM

I think I might have stumbled across the link to the forums are exactly the wrong time, because "Forum" leads to an SQL error and "Forums" as a URL is a 404 so that's not it either.

It does that "No such file or directory [2002]" error for a few hours every few days.

Just come back later and it'll be running again.

No idea who fixes it, or how, but submission data is never lost.

#5 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:32 AM

It does that "No such file or directory [2002]" error for a few hours every few days.

Just come back later and it'll be running again.

No idea who fixes it, or how, but submission data is never lost.

Actually, it does it *every* day. No clue why, we've been trying to fix it; but rebooting the server fixes it for the rest of the day.

If anyone is trying to access it and finds this error in your way, feel free to shoot zoria or I a DM on discord; if we're online, we both have the ability to reboot the server.

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

So, uh, will this new site eventually move to have a database for quests as well as quest making resources?

I mean, I doubt Pure's one will be outscaled anytime soon, but it would make sense to host that stuff on the official site. (Which I guess AGN isn't anymore?)

armageddongames_sm.png

Pretty sure this thing still says armgeddon, btw.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:38 AM

So, uh, will this new site eventually move to have a database for quests as well as quest making resources?

I mean, I doubt Pure's one will be outscaled anytime soon, but it would make sense to host that stuff on the official site. (Which I guess AGN isn't anymore?)

armageddongames_sm.png

Pretty sure this thing still says armgeddon, btw.

It does. I received a fixed graphic master file, but I haven't applied it to anything, as there is a lot of work involved to convert it to an allegro packfile sprite object with the appropriate palette, then appropriately crop and edit it everywhere else. I did however, forget that I hadn't done it.

Databases are on the to-do list. Ideally, I would like to port all of the databases use by zc.com, or invisibly access them, but this requires a lot of concerted effort (and time) not only from me, but also from War Lord. Worst case, linking openzc.org accounts to the zc.com databases is on the would-be-nice list.

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:12 AM

It does. I received a fixed graphic master file, but I haven't applied it to anything, as there is a lot of work involved to convert it to an allegro packfile sprite object with the appropriate palette, then appropriately crop and edit it everywhere else. I did however, forget that I hadn't done it.

Nice. Uh, though, you use allegro for web design work? I'm not sure if that is ideal, I'd just slap a png of the image there and be done with. :P

Databases are on the to-do list. Ideally, I would like to port all of the databases use by zc.com, or invisibly access them, but this requires a lot of concerted effort (and time) not only from me, but also from War Lord. Worst case, linking openzc.org accounts to the zc.com databases is on the would-be-nice list.

Nice! Good to see it's on the bucket list.

I can't imagine integrating the ZC.com database being anything but unnecessary extra work. Just from the user side end of it you can kinda tell that the structure of how things are stored in that database is baaaaad. Assuming parity is important I'd just backport the new database to zc.com.

I'm not personally in the market currently to sign up at another forum, but I do think it's a good idea to split the engine further away from AGN, as it could have the side effect of dragging down the engines reputation by mere association. Good luck on the project.

#9 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:43 AM

Nice. Uh, though, you use allegro for web design work? I'm not sure if that is ideal, I'd just slap a png of the image there and be done with. :P

That same image is the logo screen in ZC when you launch it; he may want to update them both at once? :shrug:

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

Oh.

I have never seen that. I mean, I launch via ZC and skip the splash screens, so that makes sense though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forum, open, source, zelda, zquest, classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users