1785 replies to this topic

#1711 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

The Great Deku Tree:

WD2VGyT.png

Finaly got that stupid Maku Tree graphics fit for ZC screens... it's been bugging me for ages.

Very nice! Now I wish the game text had been:

"I have been cursed...

I need you to break the curse
with your wisdom and courage.

Link... I mustache you a question.
Dost thou have courage enough
to undertake this task?"

Edited by Cukeman, 11 July 2017 - 06:57 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, Sheik and 2 others like this

#1712 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

I see what you did there.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#1713 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

http://www.purezc.ne...ic=71336&page=3

So I have this problem with grabbing colors into ZC. The advise of the Blue Topaz improved the results, but the color is still not correct. I hope this is the right topic to ask for help, the bug-report surely isn't.

#1714 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

http://www.purezc.ne...ic=71336&page=3

So I have this problem with grabbing colors into ZC. The advise of the Blue Topaz improved the results, but the color is still not correct. I hope this is the right topic to ask for help, the bug-report surely isn't.

Can you be more specific? That link doesn't say anything about colors

#1715 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

For example Orithan posted a picture of his c-sets 10 and 11 for firebird in the Firebird-topic. If I grab them with ZC the colors are similiar but not the same like the ones in the picture. Or I played around with the main-palette for a long time to add a 4th brighter color for some of the tripple-sets from c-set 5-8. I made a screenshot and saved the colors like this (the main-palette was a complete mess after playing around), but after I tried to grab them from the picture, again the colors did differ slightly. And since I am not good with colors I can't just swiftly change the 0-63 values to get the color I want.

#1716 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Grabbing colors works best if you're using a tile page exported from ZQuest Editor.

I have arranged an image so that the colors are lined up for ZQE grabbing using photoshop, but it's a ton of work.

Edited by Cukeman, 18 July 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#1717 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Do you know a way to get the 63-values of a color? Saffith explained to me something like most programs use 255-values and the problem is that ZC uses 63-values and that creates the problem. TheBlueTopaz suggested to devide the 255 values through 4 and reduce the result by one, that got me better results, but most colors are still slightly off.

#1718 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

If each number is off by a digit or two it's going to be extremely hard to tell.

You can always import a  single color image and grab from that to see what numbers ZC comes up with, but I'm sure that ZC is just going to be doing the same math division they told you about to get as close as it can.

#1719 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

So I have no idea what ZC is doing when grabbing colors, couldn't find something in the Internet and the values are messed up and I can't see a pattern how... Though it seems I just have to multiply the 63-values with 4, 05 and just deviding the 255-values gives me the correct numbers so far. And I can honestly say that figuring that out was a lot easier compared to recreate the colors in ZC for me.

#1720 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

Image files in certain low-color formats (such as .gif) have something called a color table, listing all the colors (up to 256) in order. You can view them in programs like Photoshop. Other image formats don't have a color limit, and when you import them the colors get assigned to a color table in whatever order the program decides, which is not the order you want.

#1721 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

From reading all this, I have to ask; what format are you saving your ZQuest screenshots in? Or the screenshots you're trying to grab colors from? Because if you're trying to get a specific color from anything other than an un-edited ZC or ZQ screenshot, you have a 1-in-4 chance of getting the color exactly right, at best. 

It would help to know exactly what colors you're trying to grab into ZQuest, or post a picture of the source.

#1722 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:51 AM

I actually just use paint. Still didn't get myself a better program, but right know I sprite (or fail trying) mostly things only one tile big. The problem with the colors seems to be solved, the 4, 05 does the trick.

#1723 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

DON'T USE MSPAINT! :whap:  Paint is terrible for importing to Zelda Classic.

Here: https://graphicsgale...s/download.htmlEven better, the full version of this recently became freeware!

Open up a ZC screenshot in Graphics Gale and you'll see the complete palette, all in order, with each row of the palette being a cset in ZC. If you want to draw a tile that uses cset 2 for example, just use the colours in the third row of the palette. If you're creating a tile and palette from scratch, just create a new 16-colour image, make your palette just as you would with a new cset, draw your tile and save the file, then simply load the palette and image from that file directly back into ZC. Don't need to mess around with recolouring (manual or automatic), reordering colours, multiplying colour values or any nonsense like that.

Super simple and lightweight program, super-duper simple for importing/exporting to ZC (just make sure you're in 16 or 256 colour mode (the palette will look like individual squares of colour rather than a continuous gradient)).

(EDIT: Reading that bug report thread and seeing that ZC only has 0-63 instead of 0-255 for RGB means a palette created in GG then imported in will most likely be slightly different to the original, but certainly not distinguishable to the human eye. Even with a direct side-by-side comparison they'd be practically identical, so nothing to worry about there.)

Edited by NoeL, 24 July 2017 - 10:24 PM.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#1724 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

I found the solution like said in my previous post. I am thankful though for the recommendation. What is the difference between install and portable version?

Just wanna say the differences are visible. Sometimes I can't tell the difference and have to check the values, but often it is a clear difference if the colors are next to each other and especially if you have multiple colors (like 3 different reds from light to dark) the package looks off, it is not like all three get darker by a similiar amount or so... Once I importet a set of 5 very close colors with close values for ground from a picture - ZC made the same color out of all 5 of them ;)

#1725 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

What is the difference between install and portable version?

Install version will integrate itself into your operating system in some way - it will likely add data to the registry file (assuming Windows OS), add file associations (become the default program to open certain files), right-click menu options, put core files or drivers in the Windows system directories, and so on.

Portable version installs every single thing to one folder with no operating system integration - you can add start menu shortcuts later if you want.

I have started using portable versions wherever possible, because you can run the entire program off a flash drive if you want, meaning you can bring it wherever you want (public library, internet cafe, friend or family, or school) without having to install it on those computers and you'll have all your options and settings ready to use the way you want. But mostly I just like having my programs self-contained. All the configuration and file data and whatever else is all in one folder ready to be copied anywhere, and it makes for easy backups, and you don't have to worry about a failed upgrade because you can try a risky upgrade using a copy of the main folder, and if you ever need to format your computer or reinstall your operating system, it's much easier to copy a folder back to your drive instead of reinstalling and re-configuring a whole program.

• coolgamer012345 and Naru like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users