Reikon is released!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:46 PM

It was a long time in the coming, but finally, Reikon is released!

I put a whole lot of work into this one, guys. With that said, in spite of my best efforts, there's a ton of moving parts here, and it's likely some bugs have slipped through. Please post minor bugs here, or contact me with very serious or story-related bugs.

This quest has a very heavy story focus, with a number of twists. Please don't post spoilers, and be careful about watching LPs if you intend to play yourself.

If you need help, find a bug, or just want to talk about the quest, go ahead and post here! Thanks to any players, and I hope you have a good time. :)

Here's some userbars and character quotes, if anyone is interested.

Userbars

• DarkFlameSheep, Anthus, Twilight Knight and 10 others like this

#2 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

I never thought Renkon would be released this month, thank you Aevein so much.Now I just decide Reikon to play and record next quest.

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 20 May 2020 - 12:03 AM.

• Aevin likes this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:08 PM

Oh wow, I knew it was soonâ„¢ but not this soon!

I will be playing this very soon. No but seriously, congrats on finishing this. I'm excited to see what kind of crazy stuff lies within! :)

• Aevin likes this

#4 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:17 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing both of your thoughts. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

I updated to fix a minor event bug. This won't break saves or anything, so if you've already downloaded the quest, please update.

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

Congratulations on the release of another amazing quest!  May you reap every ounce of the rewards that you have earned from such an experience.

So, let's pretend that I've never played these quests but I'm also terrible at following along with the story.  Do you think it would be even  possible to give a summary or backstory that would make the majority of any cut-scenes, areas visited, or plot points make more sense when they're encountered?

When I'm walking around the world, all I see are square blocks.  I have no concept of any kind of terrain like mountains or grass or anything, or something that would define a landmass as being worthy of having a name or title.  Everything looks like part of a block-pushing puzzle game, like Chip's Challenge or Sokoban.

So all I'm seeing is something that reminds me that I'm going around in some perpetual key-hunt and item-hunt without being in a world.  Whenever there's a cutscene, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking "Who the heck are you and why are you talking to me?  Just let me go back to finding secrets so I can feel more powerful and make more progress in the world."

If I feel like that, I think I'm missing something really huge in terms of the plot that unifies everything.  Is that something you think might be accessible to a complete newcomer to the story that has no idea what's going on?  No character I've seen or played as really means anything to me.  They're just a series of colors, pixels, and attributes or powers so far.  I may as well be one of those people that call Link "Zelda" because that's what's on the game title.

• DarkFlameSheep likes this

#6 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:52 AM

ShadowTiger, Aevin made Hitodama series by reference to old NES game Legacy of Wizard. LoW's story is very simple. For story, so I think Hitodama series's very complex story doesn't match with gameplay. And I think Aevin seems to be a good book or novel author, but he mightn't be good at show story with game well, I remember C-Dawg shows Dreams of Yesterdays's simple story well, also Tabletpillow shows complex story well in his ROSEMASTER demo.

For character design, Yuurei's Naiya, Jandra, Tyre are better than other characters. Reikon's main character Holm and Flect look less than them.

So Jandra should be the winner in Yuurei, and we must praise the goddess Jandra.

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 19 May 2020 - 10:34 AM.

• ShadowTiger and Matthew like this

#7 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:56 AM

Well, I can certainly give a summary. There's obviously spoilers here:

Brief Summary

So with that, you may find the whole thing a bit more understandable, though it's certainly no substitute for actually playing the games. I think in context, the "block and pixel" look makes sense, since the entire Labyrinth is meant to be somewhat artificial, and not a big natural area. Some places are illusions meant to evoke outdoor areas, but the entirety of the three games takes place within the labyrinth. I did try to make Reikon's story as self-contained as possible, recapping certain events within it, but it's definitely best enjoyed with some foreknowledge of previous stuff. It's certainly up to you whether you enjoy it enough to continue, though of course that goes without saying. But if you really register these characters as nothing more than pixel blobs with nothing interesting to say after the phenomenal amount of work I put into getting the story right, then perhaps the quest just isn't for you. Thanks for at least giving it a try.

• coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#8 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:55 PM

I don't relate to that experience, ShadowTiger. I'm pretty far into this quest now, I find the story really engaging. :D Definetly think it's the best of the three quests so far. Great level design and fun gameplay.

• Aevin likes this

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

I really appreciate the backstory!  Thank you very much!  :D It's going to go a long way towards my ability to get deeper into the quest.  I was always one of those oblivious kinds of people that always has to take things at face value in a story without any appreciation for what's going on beneath it.  It's why I didn't like seeing operas or those Gilbert & Sullivan plays. I just saw the singing and thought about all the memorization that went into being able to sing it all by heart.  I'd look at a backdrop occasionally and think about the effort that went into those too.  But I also always felt that there were an unlimited arrangement of potential backgrounds for the story.  I never know the backstories of these characters.  I never know their histories, their interactions, their purposes...  I'm just thrust in the middle of it without much of an explanation and it feels like my own unique perceptive needs are being unfulfilled.

It's why I asked for the backstory.  It gives me my own personal footstool to be able to approach the characters and their situation better.

That's not a reflection on anything that you did or didn't do.  You're perfectly entitled to make a quest how you want or need to, and it's not a failing on your part that I wasn't able to dive into the story like so many other people.  That sounds like a me problem rather than a you problem.  :blink:

So now I can go 'Oh wow, this is the part where <thing> happens to <person> with <other person>! That's awesome!"  Instead of going  "Who are these people and why should I care?"

You can easily say that I'm just being oblivious, if it helps.  I'm not nearly as omniscient or observant as I used to be. You've got the entire storyline mapped out in your head during the vast majority of your work while making the quests.  The quest-players only understand what they experience in the quest, unless they read a backstory like that somewhere as a helpful Cliff Notes.  How that knowledge trickles down into the quest-players  is partially up to the quest-player to properly receive it in the spirit in which it's offered.

I know that I'm a lot happier with the background to help me put a label on everything that I see.  It's much more satisfying to me at least to know about what I'm looking at rather than being left wondering and having to interpret it all according to my own silly incomplete whims.

• Aevin likes this

#10 csharporbflat

csharporbflat

Junior

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:41 PM

stuck already. Ok so I defeated the first mini boss, liking it so far, but now I do not know where to go next. I went to the garden area, moved the statue and went to the other section blinked over the first set of hills, then got stuck at a locked door and the key the screen above that I cannot get. 

What is it I am missing?

• Aevin likes this

#11 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Spoiler

#12 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:21 PM

If you didn't play Hitodama or Yuurei, I recommend to play Hitodama and Yuurei's Rhone and Will story before play Reikon.
Or You can see their stories on my YouTube playlist

Hito story unofficial records in Hitodama

Rhone and Will stories unofficial records in Yuurei

I meant everyone have their strong point  and weak points, I would like to fight against very cool custom bosses in Reikon.

Edited by DarkFlame Sheep, 19 May 2020 - 07:51 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Russ and Aevin like this

#13 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

I meant to recommend those along with my summaries above. Yeah, Sheep's videos are a really handy way of seeing just the story scenes if you want to catch up, but don't have full runs of the other games in you.

#14 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:50 AM

I Dont Want Spoiler Anything and i Dont Have Playit it Yet but Does Somen other to See a Similiarity in my Signature :D

• DarkFlameSheep and Aevin like this

#15 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

Wow, that signature sure looks ... populated. And colorful, too!

I just submitted an update that fixes a handful of minor issues. I'd recommend updating for anyone who's already downloaded the file. It's perfectly safe with in-progress saves.

• Lordkronos likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users