Photo

Screenshot: Challenge Accepted #1

Matthew Joelmacool Haritiro Orithan BigJoe TheManHimself

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot: Challenge Accepted #1 (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your favourite!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shane

Shane

❤ Love Beats Hate ❤

• Contributors

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

Five unique entries! Be sure to give your vote and maybe even some feedback for our lovely contestants. :)

Requirements:

Type: A dark overworld or dungeon.

On-Screen Requirements:

• Must have some kind of navigational puzzle.
  • Some sort of visual cue to help navigate through this puzzle.

Entries:

Matthew

J9MHhZJ.png

No mockup to be seen here!

Joelmacool

0NR0bwa.png

dungeon with puzzle

Haritiro

ysWUxGN.png

Remove the blinding light and reveal the way through the dark.

Orithan

044jC4S.png

Not pictured: The Yuurei screaming in agony upon seeing this place.

BigJoe

SpxqNPq.png

TheManHimself

oNxMkyT.png

Lost woods in the Lunar Valley, follow the movement of the fog through the woods to reach the chasm of Iapetus.

Next Challenge:

Recreate the following screen in any tileset. You have until the 7th of May, good luck!

StQlMiS.png

• Anthus, Eddy, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#2 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:42 AM

Why is the rebirth screen so good to begin with? Shouldn't they be simple and easy to improve/build upon?
  • Mani Kanina and Joelmacool like this

#3 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

JMC

• Forum Staff

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

Why is the rebirth screen so good to begin with? Shouldn't they be simple and easy to improve/build upon?

I will rebirth it by turning it into a very simple screen... to be improved/built upon!

#4 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

rebirth it in the fzero tileset

• Jared likes this

#5 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

Ooof, assuming it's too late to add a submission? I'd meant to submit this, but it slipped away from me.

545_qrwmpf.png
Lost woods in the Lunar Valley, follow the movement of the fog through the woods to reach the chasm of Iapetus.

Edited by TheManHimself, 23 April 2021 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Shane

Shane

❤ Love Beats Hate ❤

• Contributors

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

That is so good? :P I made it in like 3 minutes lol. But yeah base screens in the former contest have been complex and specific, this is nothing new. I never considered "rebirth" an improvement contest, more like a reimagining contest. Don't let any specific details get you caught up; as long as it resembles the base screen it's acceptable.

Ooof, assuming it's too late to add a submission? I'd meant to submit this, but it slipped away from me.

545_qrwmpf.png

After some hesitation, I've decided to add it since it wasn't that late. But please be sure to submit your screens on time in the future! ;)

• TheManHimself likes this

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

Hey Shane, do you think you could scale the images up 2x in future constests, similar to how SotW does it?  These are a little difficult for me to see on a small laptop screen.

I voted for BigJoe in this contest.  I thought the tileset and overall shot balance was really strong here, but really I liked everyone's.

I'm curious to hear from the shot creators - what are the visual cues and solutions that you designed these screens around?  Some are more obvious than others.

#8 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:38 PM

I'm curious to hear from the shot creators - what are the visual cues and solutions that you designed these screens around?  Some are more obvious than others.

My screen is basically a lost woods setup with side warps. It's not readily apparent in the still, but the fog rolls up from underneath the crevice and moves in the direction of the next screen. I figured it would be a more natural solution than having some old man in a cave explicitly telling you the way through the maze. 

#9 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

I think mine's fairly obvious. Basically there's glowing arrows on the floor that aren't visible when the torch next to it is lit, and blowing out the torch makes it visible. (the arrows show the maze path directions)

The idea is kinda a mutation of the gimmick in the palace of darkness from ALBW.

• TheManHimself likes this

#10 Matthew

Matthew

Tree Grid Enthusiast

• Forum Staff

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

The coffins in my screen have little arrows that show you where NOT to go. Some are repeated. You want to head in the direction that no coffin arrow is pointing towards.

#11 Shane

Shane

❤ Love Beats Hate ❤

• Contributors

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:02 AM

Hey Shane, do you think you could scale the images up 2x in future constests, similar to how SotW does it?  These are a little difficult for me to see on a small laptop screen.

Not a bad suggestion, I'll do just that. :)

#12 Deft War

Deft War

Vagabond...

• Members

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:43 AM

This was an amazing turnout and it is always nice to see a wide variety of styles and flavors. That said, I like Haritiro's shot. It has a unique gimmick to it that is sure to offer an interesting gameplay experience.

Mine, if it isn't obvious, is that the feather can be knocked down from above using sprint boots. I still have to make the sprint boots so it is in essence, a mockup :P

#13 Shane

Shane

❤ Love Beats Hate ❤

• Contributors

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:38 AM

Congrats to our first winner: Matthew!

J9MHhZJ.png
No mockup to be seen here!
  • Matthew (9 votes [33.33%])
  • Joelmacool (3 votes [11.11%])
  • Haritiro (3 votes [11.11%])
  • Orithan (2 votes [7.41%])
  • BigJoe (6 votes [22.22%])
  • TheManHimself (4 votes [14.81%])

• Matthew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Matthew, Joelmacool, Haritiro, Orithan, BigJoe, TheManHimself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users