Photo

Poll : How do you consider yourself?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you consider yourself?

How do you consider yourself ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

How do you consider yourself ? you think to be skilled ? a Genius ? or a true incompetent ? Choose the one that suits you most.

Some of you may have noticed that the choices are the same as the Disgaea character creation system.

Remember that good-for-nothing is worse than incompetent.

Distinguished is better than skilled but inferior to Genius.

Average is better than incompetent, but inferior to skilled.

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 02 May 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

Skilled where it doesn't matter, average to incompetent everywhere else. I'll take the average of that and say...average. :P

• Anthus, Binx and satokoaddict96 like this

#3 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

I consider myself good at what I like to do and what I care about.

Except when that means being able to sit down and do actual work (i.e. I'm a procrastinator). I'm supposed to be studying physics at the moment.

When I put my mind to it, though, I feel like I'm good at it. Although, it's arguable how good I am at ZC, I'd say I feel like I'm improving.

#4 satokoaddict96

satokoaddict96

.qst

• Members

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

Skilled where it doesn't matter, average to incompetent everywhere else. I'll take the average of that and say...average. :P

I can relate to this.

• Jared likes this

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

Perhaps I'm vain, but I would consider myself distinguished. I know I'm not a genius. I've gone to school with geniuses. Much as I wish I could be, I have to recognize the limits of my own intellect. With that said, I think I'm pretty damn competent where I need to be, and I think my track record speaks to that.
  • Anthus, Adem, Yapollo and 3 others like this

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

Perhaps I'm vain, but I would consider myself distinguished. I know I'm not a genius. I've gone to school with geniuses. Much as I wish I could be, I have to recognize the limits of my own intellect. With that said, I think I'm pretty damn competent where I need to be, and I think my track record speaks to that.

I'm along the lines with you, Russ. While I see myself just as skilled at the moment, one day I will be distinguished as my skills and opportunities grow. Pretty much everyone wants to be distinguished for something in their lives.

#7 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

I will be more than satisfied if I can call myself skilled one day.

I am not sure about my limitations, I can't keep up with a Russ (or various other members), but I also know I have certain talents I shouldn't disregard only because I haven't found a good use for them yet.
  • Jared and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#8 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

I'd like to echo this. Perhaps a couple of years ago, I'd have considered myself average at best. I often used to refer to myself with the "jack of all trades, master of none" cliché. However, after gaining more professional job experience and continuing my pursuit of higher education, I've realized that my versatility in itself is a rare strength. I'm proud of the work I do and I'm excited to continue to challenge myself moving forward. I enjoy exposing myself to as many new avenues as possible, and I'm a pretty damn good problem solver.

Y'all have confidence in your abilities! I've come to learn that appreciating your personal growth or skills is not something of which you should be ashamed.

• Cukeman and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#9 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

I'm a genius. I wouldn't say I necessarily am in every field. But I have a very high ability to retain knowledge.

I also am technically a legal genius as well. 

#10 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

It is important to recognize your own talents and accomplishments. "Know thyself" and all that. If you are not sure of your own capabilities and limits - then you will not be able to push yourself further in your weaker areas nor strive for excellence in your field(s) of expertise. Self-recognition is a perfectly healthy thing. Now vanity is when you start getting full of yourself and letting it all go to your head. But, Russ, since you have not gone around the forums making Ganonesque speeches about your excellence and/or building statues in your own honor, I do not think we have to worry.

As for myself - I am overall skilled (mostly in the Math/Computer side of things). Decent hand-eye coordination (good for games), but I am not athletic at all. Also a lot of my interpersonal skills are meh, but I get by well enough.  It's good to have friends to back you up in your weaker areas :)

• Russ likes this

#11 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

A bit smelly.

#12 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

https://en.wikipedia...g–Kruger_effect
This poll is moot. The people below average don't realize they're below average, unless your goal is to get data about perception rather than actual competence. :P
  • Aevin and Deedee like this

#13 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

I mean, the topic title is 'how do you consider yourself?', not 'how skilled are you?', so I'd say it's pretty functional.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#14 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

https://en.wikipedia...g–Kruger_effect
This poll is moot. The people below average don't realize they're below average, unless your goal is to get data about perception rather than actual competence. :P

I think the Dunning-Kruger effect is frequently misapplied.  I think it's meant to describe a general trend that's been observed without implying any sort of causation, and it's certainly not meant to be applied as a hard law.  People frequently take it to mean that anyone who recognizes their talents must somehow be untalented, or that it must mean they're not challenging themselves to be better.  The inverse is true, as well -- people tend to assume that anyone who assesses their talents to be low must be some kind of hidden genius.  I think I'm terrible at quantum physics, but this isn't some Einstein-esque declaration that my knowledge of physics is low because I only have a sliver of the available knowledge in the universe; it's just me saying I know fuck-all about quantum physics because I've literally never studied them at all.

Misapplication of Dunning-Kruger is why you get people thinking they're geniuses because they know about Dunning-Kruger (for the record I'm not accusing you of this, I'm just saying it's common on the Internet and that it frustrates me).  For every Rick & Morty guy who postures themselves as a high IQ genius for reading these bizarre obscure high art references in a cartoon, there's flimsy accusations that someone who has a good vocabulary or uses technical language that's specific to a volition must just think they're smart, and not that they're just using language that's natural to them because they've spent hours and hours soaking up specialized knowledge.

Anyway, I like to think I'm fairly smart -- at least, smart enough to pick things up relatively quickly -- but I have, like, no discipline.  I'm terrible at applying myself to things and sticking with anything long enough to get to deep, high-level knowledge of anything.  So I'm not really all that deeply skilled at anything, just kind of decent at a lot of things.  I kind of recoil at the idea of describing myself as a "jack of all trades, master of none", but that's probably a decent enough shorthand description of me.

• Evan20000 likes this

#15 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Damnit, nice post. Hang on, I gotta properly reply to this.

I think the Dunning-Kruger effect is frequently misapplied.  I think it's meant to describe a general trend that's been observed without implying any sort of causation, and it's certainly not meant to be applied as a hard law. 

Absolutely. My reference of it here is simply to point out that it's the leading reason that the data of this poll isn't useful for gauging talent simply because of biases in perception. A sense of self-worth (or lack thereof) heavily skews these pol--

People frequently take it to mean that anyone who recognizes their talents must somehow be untalented, or that it must mean they're not challenging themselves to be better.  The inverse is true, as well -- people tend to assume that anyone who assesses their talents to be low must be some kind of hidden genius.

Damnit, stop taking the words out of my mouth. D:<

I think I'm terrible at quantum physics, but this isn't some Einstein-esque declaration that my knowledge of physics is low because I only have a sliver of the available knowledge in the universe; it's just me saying I know fuck-all about quantum physics because I've literally never studied them at all.

While I agree that a general question like this is too broad, for reasons you've stated, I'd have interpreted it as "Do you see yourself competent in areas where you actively apply yourself" judging by the phrasing of some of the responses, which ultimately holds a couple implications (How do we define an area that we're knowledgable in? Are we comparing ourselves to what we perceive as the layman or simply the absolute top percentile of our crafts? Which is food for a fascinating other discussion, by the way...)

Misapplication of Dunning-Kruger is why you get people thinking they're geniuses because they know about Dunning-Kruger (for the record I'm not accusing you of this, I'm just saying it's common on the Internet and that it frustrates me).

I'd agree with this overall sentiment and I probably should have left more context in my post.

For every Rick & Morty guy who postures themselves as a high IQ genius for reading these bizarre obscure high art references in a cartoon, there's flimsy accusations that someone who has a good vocabulary or uses technical language that's specific to a volition must just think they're smart, and not that they're just using language that's natural to them because they've spent hours and hours soaking up specialized knowledge.

I actually had a neat discussion about this earlier with some people. Generally, I find it intensely frustrating if someone bolsters their sentences with flowery language in an attempt to socially posture when their exact sentiment could be conveyed much more concisely without any loss of nuance. I'm sure you've seen the company memo that's like 3 paragraphs to just say what you could sum up with in a sentence or two written by some insecure middle-manager who's more interested in his image than actually getting his point across (which I find funny, since their lack of linguistic efficiency quickly betrays their facade).

Anyway, I like to think I'm fairly smart -- at least, smart enough to pick things up relatively quickly -- but I have, like, no discipline.  I'm terrible at applying myself to things and sticking with anything long enough to get to deep, high-level knowledge of anything.  So I'm not really all that deeply skilled at anything, just kind of decent at a lot of things.

Well that's the other part. "Deeply skilled" is relative to who you're defining as deeply skilled. To bring this back around to ZC/ZScript, I feel like I'm shit at scripting often, yet Russ tells me I'm amazing at writing complex shit efficiently, so :shrug: . The take-away from all of this is that our own self-image skews the origin point that we evaluate and compare most aspects of things we're trying to learn and not always in good ways I guess. Human psychology is kinda dicks, but again, that's a discussion for another thread.

I kind of recoil at the idea of describing myself as a "jack of all trades, master of none", but that's probably a decent enough shorthand description of me.

I don't really see anything wrong with that, but I'd guess from your phrasing that not being able to claim to have mastered anything bothers you? While in zero-sum situations (warfare/competitive vidya games/other contests), I'm a firm believer that specializing is better than generalizing most of the time once you hit the apex of your specialization, but thankfully IRL isn't inherently zero-sum, at least not in terms of self-perception and that's a fact I'm quite thankful for! :P

(The irony that I criticize linguistic inefficiency while reiterating the same point several times isn't lost on me either. :( )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users