New to scripting, need advice.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:31 AM

Like the title of the topic states, I need some user input on Scripting. last time I used Zelda Classic and Zquest was 1.92, from what I can tell, alot has changed since then... Well over 10 years...

On topic though, I'm currently building a ALTTP style game and I'm wondering what's possible after I finish the Light and Dark World overworld maps... I familiar with the older stuff, tile cycling, layering, and the old method of cutscenes, and other tricks.

But, scripting has me wondering if I even need to use the older methods on everything...

What's possible in Zquest using scripts to make a "A Link To The Past" style game.

Have you used C or C++? ZC (2.55) is particularly adept at allowing the user to make games that were possible on the NES, and to a certain extent, on the SNES, albeit with some limitations in colour.

The limitations are usually imposed by the technical knowhow of the user,.

If you want to wor5k on a Z3 library for 2.55k, and you have the needed expertise, I'll work on it with you. I have a github repo of scripts for such a thing, and reasonable expertise in engine design. :P

I have some scrolling models in place, but they will need refinement if you want animated backgrounds.

Please view this YouTube Playlist.

Pay careful attention to the stuff near the end, and at the beginning.

GH repos:

https://github.com/Z...RPG/ScrollingZC
https://github.com/ZoriaRPG/Zelda3.zh

You will also want to join the Official ZC Discord Server, where we actively discuss development f the Z3 module for 2.55.

If you need help using or learning the language, or if you need assistance with comprehension of the repo scripts, send a note to me on Discord, or post here.

Using 2.53.x fr a Z3 quest would be extremely unwise. You absolutely want access to the new features in 2.55.0, and we can add in things that you may need at any time.

I will be posting another 2.55 update this week.

#17 masterlink3000

masterlink3000

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:47 AM

Ok, thank you for that info... I've been away from zc for so long, theres alot I have to recap on.

It's amazing what's been done by the developer's since 2002...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users