Photo

[POLL] 24 Hour Quest Contest - Quests

Contest

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: 24 Hour Quest Contest Poll

Best Overall

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Creative

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Best Mechanics

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:54 AM

24 Hour Quest Contest - Quests
Hosted by Gouanaco and Polaris

Hey everybody!

As most of you know, Gouanaco announced the 24 Hour Quest contest which you can look at here. As the name suggests, it's a contest where you have to design a quest within 24 hours. Surprisingly, we have received nine entries! We thank each and every person who submitted. There's a catch however to this contest: Everyone is anonymous until the contest is over! There's even someone who didn't sign up that submitted, the mystery intensifies!

I know a lot of you are excited so I'll keep the following short so you can get to the quests: The poll will be up in a few days and the poll will last a week and then we announce the winner and reveal the names behind each entry. Feel free to discuss the quests but make sure to leave any speculation on authors until the voting begins! Without any further delay, here are the entries!

Story of 24 Hours
Download here.

The Tail of the Dragon Slayer
Download here.

Description: Due to the time constraints, this quest is mainly a proof of concept of a game idea. The quest is very short; there isn't any dungeons, but there is a final boss (which isn't anything spectacular, sadly). To make the most of this quest's main concept, some grinding is required.
Tips:
Pay attention to your counters.
Stock up on stuff before fighting the final boss.
Beating the quest reveals the cheat codes.
There is only one trigger-able secret in the entire quest, and it reveals a helpful item.
Lastly, so it isn't a surprise, the final boss is in the snowy area, past a moat.

What You Deserve
Download here.

The Moblin Question
Download here.

Anemoi
Download here.

The frigid North Wind blows...
Anemoi is a short Metroidvania quest heavily inspired by Hitodama and Yuurei. Calais, a young human, finds himself in the realm of the wind spirits, the Anemoi. Before him lies Mt Boreas, but to reach the peak, he'll have to face off against powerful foes. Explore, collect powerups, and ascend Mt Boreas! With an 8x8 world, multiple areas, three difficulty settings, and a high degree of nonlinearity, Anemoi offers about the most expansive experience that's possible to create in only a single day.  :P

d6GaB5p.pngCLfNv2O.png

Redemption
Download here.

faster
Download here.

Description~
5 by 5 nonlinear overworld
2 truly challenging dungeons
Many Secrets
Unique gameplay elements
At least 45 minutes of gameplay the first play through
Replayability 

Purpose~ 
The quest is intentionally designed to be speed run, including several built in strats with various difficulties. It is very possible to beat the game in under 15 minutes. I am still not sure what the lowest time is, but it is very low. This game was built with intentional exploits to remove time. I would love to hear people's times from speed running and see how it compares to mine. I still haven't made a run I am satisfied with though.

Tips~
Gibdos are invincible and kill the player in one hit. Their only immunity is silver arrows. The first dungeon assumes the player does not have silver arrows, but you can buy them in a shop to the north if the first level is feeling too challenging. 

The more intense fights found on the over world are optional and reward heart containers. I am referring to the Gleeock fight and the Mirror Wizzrobe fight. 

The quest features four hidden heart containers.

Eternal Curse
Download here.

A Metroidvania inspired by quests like Rite of the Storm and Yuurei.

Well there's the entries, we hope you enjoy! If you have any questions about the contest itself, please ask away! :)

• Avaro and Gouanaco like this

#2 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:06 AM

Great to see so many entries, dig in everyone!

• Shane and Avaro like this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

Well, it should be painfully obvious who submitted one of these .. I'm curious to see what everyone else came up with.

• Eppy, Shane, Jared and 3 others like this

#4 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

Hmm.... I'm really having a hard time figuring out who made Anemoi... oh well, guess I'll just have to play them all and find out!
  • Avaro likes this

#5 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:27 AM

Is Anemoi self-explaining to someone who never even touched Yuurei? And did you - whoever you are - really start with an existing database-tileset (rule #1) and imported/created all the yuurei-content from scratch, set up the subscreen, combos, items and so on? Not that I would really care - thank you for this new quest anyway - but I doubt I could have done so in 24h and if you really did so I'm rather shocked and want to say I admire your effort - and maybe beg for some tips ;)

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

Is Anemoi self-explaining to someone who never even touched Yuurei?

It just uses Yuurei's tileset. The story is completely standalone.

• Naru likes this

#7 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

I don't have access to Zelda Classic right now so I can't play these quests- but how are they? Which ones are people having fun with? Which ones are interesting? When I get home I am going to take a shot at about three, not including my own. I'm looking forward to playing : )

-Strike

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

I don't have access to Zelda Classic right now so I can't play these quests- but how are they? Which ones are people having fun with? Which ones are interesting? When I get home I am going to take a shot at about three, not including my own. I'm looking forward to playing : )

-Strike

Anemoi is the clear winner of the bunch. It's the only one that feels like a completed quest to me. The others are pretty experimental and short for the most part. If jokey quests are your cup of tea there's Capture the Flag and The Moblin Question.

#9 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Wait, so we had 9 entries? I thought the contestant list said we were down to 7.

Not that I'm complaining, just wondering who else joined that wasn't on the list.

Anyway, gonna get started playing these...

#10 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Whoever made faster: I hate you ;)
  • strike likes this

#11 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

And did you - whoever you are - really start with an existing database-tileset (rule #1) and imported/created all the yuurei-content from scratch, set up the subscreen, combos, items and so on?

From now on, you are allowed to prepare the following before the 24 hour mark:

Scripts
Tile-set (TILE EDITS ONLY! NO EDITING THE QUEST)
Sprites
Music
Strings (OUTSIDE OF ZQUEST!)

If we have enough people request to not have this then Ill swing it back round.
Thanks everyone!

This seems to suggest it's totally okay. This was an existing tileset with no edits made before the contest started, different from any other tileset only in the fact it's not available in the database at this time. All scripts existed previously, like some of the script resources used by other quests. Any building in the quest file itself took place within the 24 hours.

I also wanted to comment on a few of the entries.

What you Deserve - This one is one of my favorites of the bunch. It's not exactly innovative, but it's 24 hours, what do you expect? It's a full, relatively satisfying quest, and that's not easy to do in this time frame, so props there. For some reason, even your starting sword absolutely slaughters enemies, though, making the whole thing much easier than it ought to be.

faster - This was the only one of the bunch that had a prevalence of what I'd call unfair design. A lot of things in this just felt unfair and irritating to me, I'm afraid. It also ended rather abruptly, though in the end it was a fairly complete adventure, so I'll give it that.

The Moblin Question - Definitely a highlight. It's good for a laugh, at the very least, and has social commentary, too!

Eternal Curse - This had a really cool setup ... and unfortunately never delivered on it. It's understandable in a contest like this. You sort of have to choose between focusing on unique new content vs. making a complete, satisfying adventure, and this errs on the side of being unique and innovative. I like what's there and it left me wanting more, but it's clearly a demo, when I wanted a more substantial quest that makes the most of the 24 hours in terms of producing playable content. I'm excited to see where this goes if you keep working on it after the contest, though! Seems like very much my type of game.

• Avaro, strike and Deedee like this

#12 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

ill check these all out either tonight or tomorrow.

#13 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

4/9 quests done. Just played through capture the flag. It has some really nice mechanics, but the theme is... the description above says it very well. I have to say I don't feel very well after playing the game, if you have like me problems with self-hatred this quest might push you mentally in a direction that you don't want.

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

Just a note: After receiving at least one report about and being made aware of questionable material in one of the quests, we reached out to the creators, asking if they would change or remove the content in question. They instead requested it be removed from the contest, which we have obliged. Just updating you all so no one is left wondering what happened to one of the quests.

• Moosh, Deedee and Matthew like this

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

Is Anemoi self-explaining to someone who never even touched Yuurei? And did you - whoever - really start with an existing database-tileset (rule #1) and imported/created all the yuurei-content from scratch, set up the subscreen, combos, items and so on? Not that I would really care - thank you for this new quest anyway - but I doubt I could have done so in 24h and if you really did so I'm rather shocked and want to say I admire your effort - and maybe beg for some tips ;)

I have to ask the same. I turned down the very idea of this, because the rules excluded using a pre-existing, custom tileset, and the goal was to show a style within a time limit.

The stated rule was a 'database' tileset, and that to me precluded many styles that require a custom graphics set, that may not be in the hands of the whole community.

I look forward to an LP series of these. I wish that I had time to enjoy the lot of them, but the hard reality is that--at present--I barely have time to eat and sleep.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users