#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

The Unofficial Winter Expo

One-Month Crossover Quest Competition

Information
This is a one-month long quest contest, and exposition for the Winter of 2015/2016. Prizes include a one-way trip to Jupiter's moon, Io, where you can see the large black Monolith, an assortment of 50,000 Lira that are moth eaten, and a hover-conversion kit made by Goldie Wilson III.

Hosts
ZoriaRPG, and others to be added.

Time Schedule

This event begins on 1st, January, 2016, and all quests must be submitted by 10th February, 2016.

Start Date: Quest development (other than graphical dev, such as sprite/tile/combo design and importing; and script development) bust be started no sooner than 1st January, 2016.

Due Date: Quests must be completed, and submitted by 10th February, 2016. Why the extra days? Well, New Years Day and the day following are usually nights that many of us will be busy doing one of two things. (Drinking, and curing hangovers.) + Extra days for PZC downtime.

Voting Starts: On 14th February, 2016, we will open a public voting poll. Voting will be permitted until 15th March, 2016, at which point all results will be made public, and we will determine the winners.

Theme of The Expo
Entries must include, be based on, or be set in the world of any video game franchise (including multiple franchises) that you desire. (A pure Zelda setting, from multiple Zelda games, does not count).

The quest must therefore, include at least one video game franchise other than Zelda, such as Metroid, Mario, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Man, Final Fantasy, ... whatever you wish. You may include multiple crossovers, and you may (of course) have Zelda characters, and a Zelda setting, but you must include at least some crossover material.

For the purposes of franchise differentiation, the 'Tingle' series games do not count as Zelda games, and you may select this as your theme.

Anime crossovers are also permitted.

Some good examples of crossover themes are:

• The Amy Rose series (by Eddy)
  • The Doctor Wiley and Ballad games (by CastChaos)
  • Link Stuck in Castlevania (by Alucard)
  • Dragon Quest Adventures (by Umbrello)
  • Attack of the Sprites (by Xenomicx)
  • Asshole.qst - the Castlequest clone (by Geoffrey)
  • Ice Climber (by Geoffrey)

Rules/Guidelines

• The quest must be made with ZQ 2.50.0, 2.50.1, or 2.50.2. Quests made in, or requiring an RC, or other Beta/Gamma release will be rejected.
  • You may receive feedback from others if you so desire while making the quest.
  • Any tileset, tile, script, and piece of music that is available in the database may be used.
  • You may create your own tilesets, tiles, scripts, and music to use in your quest.
  • Do not start working on your quest until 1st January, 2015. If not, people will view it as unfair.
  • You may work on importing graphics, making combos, and doing testing for scripts before the start date.
  • All entries must match the contest theme.

How to Participate
Post in this topic if you are interested in participating! I will add you to the list of participants below. You may change your mind about participation at any time.

Participants

• Avataro (Submitted on 01-Feb-2016, 32 days)
  • Dimentio (Submitted on 10-Jan-2016, 40 days)
  • Eddy
  • Geoffrey (Submitted on 30-Jan-2016, 30 days)
  • grayswandir
  • HeroOfFire (Submitted on 09-Feb-2016, 39 days)
  • Lejes
  • Lunaria (Submitted on 08-Jan-2016, 38 days)
  • Moosh
  • Octorockoncrack (Submitted on 10-Jan-2016, 40 days)
  • Russ
  • SpacemanDan
  • ywkls (Submitted on 09-Jan-2016, 39 days)
  • ZoriaRPG

Bolded names have submitted a quest. Strikethrough have withdrawn. If a name is italicised, then their intent to participate is unclear.

How to Submit Your Quest
Post your intent for participation in this thread. We will add your entry directly, and you should send it to one of the hosts as a PM.

• Editing Procedures: If you need to edit your submission post, either contact a host.

Finally, all submission topics are due when the quest development period finishes (10th February, 2015 at 12:00 A.M. PDT). We will probably be somewhat loose on this, however, as we understand that creating the topic is pretty much last minute in most cases.

Thank you for your participation, and good luck in the polls!

*Deadline extended to cover PZC downtime: http://www.purezc.ne...040#entry984937

Entries are now CLOSED.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 February 2016 - 07:41 AM.

• David likes this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'd be interested in participating, seeing as my idea that is most likely to get done in a month would only require me to create screens since I already have combos, tiles and most of the scripts for it. I've been meaning to make another game in a non-Zelda genre anyways and kept putting it off because I had Zelda stuff to do.

But... my current Zelda project is on semi-hiatus whilst I decide how I'm going to proceed with it. (I finished one-fourth of the overworld, then stopped because I realized how bland the next section of the overworld was probably going to be. And because of the fall expo.)

What is my theme going to be, you might ask? Metroid. As much as some people hated my previous attempt at this genre, I have a sufficient amount of work done on the internal mechanics to feel comfortable trying to do a new one.

With regards to feedback, that wouldn't be bad... though I'd mostly be looking for ideas for things that I hadn't yet thought of including. I actually planned this quest out on paper a while back but never got around to making it. So the creation of it will simply boil down to me taking the time and actually making this thing.

I don't know if I can finish, but I'm going to shoot low on the total number of screens and if I finish that many, then I'll expand it.

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Prizes include a one-way trip to Jupiter's moon, Io, where you can see the large black Monolith, an assortment of 50,000 Lira that are moth eaten, and a hover-conversion kit made by Goldie Wilson III.

A one-way trip to the most volcanic object in the solar system sounds great. Wonder how long I could survive for :P

I'm not sure if I'll be able to take part. I got lots of stuff happening right now and there's something else I want to see completed first, so I dunno if I'll be able to make it in time. We'll see I guess.

#4 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Do not start working on your quest until 1st January, 2015. If not, people will view it as unfair.

Don't you mean 1st January, 2016? :P

#5 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Some good examples of crossover quests are:

• The Amy Rose series (by Eddy)
  • The Doctor Wiley and Ballad games (by CastChaos)
  • Link Stuck in Castlevania (by Alucard)
  • Dragon Quest Adventures (by Umbrello)
  • Attack of the Sprites (by Xenomicx)
  • Asshole.qst - the Castlequest clone (by Geoffrey)
  • Ice Climber (by Geoffrey)

Those are some very good examples crossover quests, but you're forgetting the best one! Mario Quest.

Anyways, I don't think I can join the contest. But I'll definitely play some of them once they're out. :)

• Eddy likes this

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

Those are some very good examples crossover quests, but you're forgetting the best one! Mario Quest.

Anyways, I don't think I can join the contest. But I'll definitely play some of them once they're out. :)

Shockingly, I did not forget that exists. I just refused to acknowledge it as a good example.

Don't you mean 1st January, 2016? :P

Why, yes... Yes I did. Unless you have a TARDIS.

#7 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

Okay, I guess I'll submit something cool. Count me in.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

So question. Moosh and I were considered entering this, but I wanted to get a bit of clarification on the rules. The premise of our quest is based on a video game... but a video game that was featured in an anime, rather than actual game you can play. So it's still technically based on a non-Zelda video game, but yeah. Would this be allowable?

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

So question. Moosh and I were considered entering this, but I wanted to get a bit of clarification on the rules. The premise of our quest is based on a video game... but a video game that was featured in an anime, rather than actual game you can play. So it's still technically based on a non-Zelda video game, but yeah. Would this be allowable?

Send me a PM with the details, so that I can look up whatever it is that you want to use as a basis.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Now that the contest has been going for a few days, how's everybody doing? I just finished the first of three major "overworld" areas for mine, if they can be called that. The quest eschews the traditional overworld/dungeon scheme for the most part, and the are contains what could very well be considered a dungeon, so I'm not entirely sure what to even call it. I've also got the initial sprites for both playable characters in place and got the basics of the character swapping system in place. Haven't actually gotten to scripting their gameplay differences yet though. One thing at a time.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hi Russ... Sounds quite interesting, and I look forward to it.

What I'm doing, is Donkey Kong (arcade series) crossover, with a lot of my usual wit.

A few people have raised interesting questions, regarding rules, and I'm going to post my decisions here:

Q: 'May I use a video game as a base that is from an anime, and doesn't have a real-world analogue.'

Initially, I was against this, but I'm going to permit it. In fact, I will permit anime crossover in general, as a basis here.

Q: 'May I use a ZC quest setting, not Zelda-based, as a crossover basis:'

I'm unsure about this one, as it opens up some loopholes, but those asking are questmakers that I trust to produce something genuinely interesting. My ruling is thus far, undecided, but I'm considering allowing it, as long as it is clearly evident that it's a crossover.

I may require at least some mainstream crossover content there, though, and I'd appreciate some feedback from other participants, or members who wish to participate.

How do you feel about this one?

Again, Anime series crossovers now are permitted as a general rule. I doubt this will affect any plans of participants adversely.

Next

I will be adding three, or four voting categories to the poll. 'Best Overall' is the main one, and I will post my final decisions on the rest once I determine them, but I think 'Best gameplay', 'Best graphics & sound' and 'Most original/unusual' will be the others; with an honourable mention for 'Best scripts'.'

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 04 January 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

I'm probably going to do a Zelda 1 remake, with your choice of either playing "Link" or another undecided character (probably female named Terra). 

Choosing Link will give you an unscripted quest that relies on everything else ZC 2.50 has to offer, like FFCs, Enemy Editor, String Codes, etc...

Choosing "Terra" will allow you to play as a character from the game "Terraria", and the quest will have a bunch of scripts, like boss scripts, item scripts, and general scripts..

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

A Zelda 1 remake is a bit ambitious, I feel. You only have one month to work. While I'd love to see you pull it off, I simply don't think that's possible. I'd advise you pick something a bit more doable in such a short time period.

#14 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

A Zelda 1 remake is a bit ambitious, I feel. You only have one month to work. While I'd love to see you pull it off, I simply don't think that's possible. I'd advise you pick something a bit more doable in such a short time period.

Hey, it's not a timed contest if I can't pull off something epic, right?

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hey, it's not a timed contest if I can't pull off something epic, right?

How is a one-month event 'not timed'?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Expo, Winter, One Month, Quest, Contest, Crossover, Mashup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users