• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#31 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

My quest is very touchy when it comes to the cheat codes. I don't want people sequence breaking my story, and I don't want player confused. If you can choose to use cheats at will, why can't I choose to disable cheats? I don't want to have to clarify something for someone who was abusing cheats.

Koh, it just sounds like you are praising them because they allow cheats. There are tons more other games that are great and don't provide cheats.

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#32 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

I'd disagree. Terraria is a great game. I have a lot of fun with it. But I've grinded out most of the equipment before. I've gathered up tons of money in it, which took hours. So next time I want to play through, I might want to cut that process shorter, so I give myself additional resources. I'm cheating, sure, but it's not affecting my enjoyment of the game. I don't HAVE to cheat, I'm CHOOSING to cheat. I really don't see why that's a huge issue.

I probably should've been more specific. What I'm saying is, if the creator doesn't want the player to cheat, then they shouldn't cheat. I'm mainly talking about Zelda classic quests. For a sandbox style game, like Terreria, I can understand.
  • Shane likes this

#33 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

It's not just the fact they allow cheats.  They allow cheats that won't otherwise break the story telling of the game, if such a story exists.  The player deciding they want all the best stats in an RPG, for example, has no bearing on Party Member #2 getting kidnapped and needing rescuing.  The player deciding they want to disable experience gain, so that they have a low level party, has no bearing on Cutscene #17 executing.  It's not the fact that cheats exist.  It's the TYPE of cheats that exist that allow for the most customizeable gameplay.  If the player wants 999 lives, fine, they'll still have to actually complete the stages to reach the ending, however.

Edited by Koh, 30 May 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#34 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

ZeldaGrabber sounds like a must! :O (For dem quests that have the darn map button disabled XD ) As for ZShark, I also love the idea, but since most disagree with it, i actually do agree with the idea. Why? Well, for one, there are people who like to cheat and other cases where cheating is needed, like in Light of Sora or something like that, a very hard quest or like Armageddon Quest. 

However, I can resume my argue in a few words. You don't want cheating in your quest? Disable them, no big deal  :shrug:

#35 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

The problem is this program ignores your choice if you want to disable them or not.

Koh, ZC cheats suck though, they allow you to sequence break, go off maps, and pretty much make you invincible.

#36 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Shouldn't make such complex things that can be simply broken :P  

#37 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

My quests ins't intended for cheaters though.

Also ZC is intended to "create what you want", so I think I will go ahead and create what I want. ;)

I'm creating a non-linear story-driven quest, I'm fixing story sequence breaking problems without the use of cheats (and I found a functional solution mind you), I find it kind of disrespectful that you would just come along, use cheats and call it broken. But hey, that's just me.

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#38 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

There seems to be some kind of assumption here that if there is a way to use cheats that every single player will use cheats, break the game, and then give out 0 star ratings. Instead, what's more likely, is that a handful of people will use cheats for a variety of reasons. It might even allow some people who had difficulties with a quest (for a variety of reasons, some of which may very well be particular to an individual user) the ability to then play it, which actually increases exposure. If you say in your description "Note: USING CHEATS WILL HAVE UNEXPECTED RESULTS AND CAUSE AREAS NOT TO WORK", that's really no different than saying "YOU NEED TO USE 2.50 RC1 OR THINGS WILL BREAK."

I just feel like people are taking this way too personally right now, and i don't understand why.

#39 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Well it just became apparent if the creator makes a quest that can be broken with cheats that he or she disabled to avoid such game breaking issues but was breached, apparently it's the creator's fault.

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#40 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Pretty sure I literally just said the opposite.

#41 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Shouldn't make such complex things that can be simply broken :P

That's exactly why disabling cheats it's a thing.
  • Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#42 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

This is a violation of people's rights as creators! If you think it's fine to use cheats in your quest, enable them. If you think it's fine to use cheats in people's quests against their wishes, that's not okay! How is this even being discussed!?? 

I REALLY don't understand. If the quest maker doesn't want cheats in their quest, end of story. Their is nothing you can do about it without being messed up.

-Strike

• Shane, Haylee, Jamian and 2 others like this

#43 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

Pretty sure I literally just said the opposite.

My point was, it became apparent that people are implying they will rate the quest based on experiences with cheats on.

#44 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

I REALLY don't understand. If the quest maker doesn't want cheats in their quest, end of story. Their is nothing you can do about it without being messed up.

Gameshark, Action Replay, Codebreaker, TConfig and Cheat Pack, all of which are vastly popular, would like to have a word with you.

Edited by Koh, 30 May 2014 - 11:48 AM.

• Ventus likes this

#45 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I think a good compromise would be making it only work for quests made in 1.9. Why?

1) Most of the quest makers have died of old age and can no longer work on their quests.

2) Most legitimate uses for this program are found there such as fixing broken parts of games.

-Strike

P.S: I guess programs like this are inevitable though :/ Another possible compromise is having the program display a marker in the top left corner showing it's been active.

Edited by strike, 30 May 2014 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users