• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#16 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Maybe anti-cheat scripts are wrong. But they are just as wrong as hacking through a quest because you aren't willing to play the way the creator designed it to be. :shrug:

Sure, cheating isn't all bad, it's required to beat Mario Quest and if any quest literally forces you to cheat, then it is bad design on their part. But I don't think it's fair to cheat because a quest is intended to be a challenge.

Also I think it is possible. I believe there will be some way for ZScript to outsmart it. :P

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 10:31 AM.

• Haylee and JetBox like this

#17 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Maybe anti-cheat scripts are wrong. But they are just as wrong as hacking through a quest because you aren't willing to play the way the creator designed it to be. :shrug:

The difference here is that one is the player making the choice to deprive themselves of that experience, for whatever reason it may be. The other is the creator taking that choice away. If a player decides to cheat at a game, that's their call, and maybe they have a good reason for it.

• Ventus likes this

#18 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

The difference here is that one is the player making the choice to deprive themselves of that experience, for whatever reason it may be. The other is the creator taking that choice away. If a player decides to cheat at a game, that's their call, and maybe they have a good reason for it.

Exactly well said DCEnygma.

My thoughts though are Its the players choice to cheat. Not the creators choice albeit the creator wants people to play it a certain way, not all people will always play the same way (You know playing fair). people should have a choice on how they want to play a game.

#19 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

If someone feels they have to cheat in my quest, then I'd rather like to discuss it with the player in a private discussion. Then we can work out another solution (instead of cheating) :)

• Shane, Aevin and David like this

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

I guess all I can say at this point is I hope there is a way to disable cheats entirely.

• Haylee likes this

#21 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

I guess all I can say at this point is I hope there is a way to disable cheats entirely.

There probable won't be no way to do that until someone rewrite all of ZC in its entirety. So right no there is no stopping cheats.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

Using the program to enable cheats has no influence on the Game->Cheat variable, and setting it to 0 each frame doesn't work either. ZeldaShark can maintain the scripts enabled for 1 frame or so, enough time to still take advantage of the cheats.

Not entirely, but hey.

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#23 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

There probable won't be no way to do that until someone rewrite all of ZC in its entirety. So right no there is no stopping cheats.

Um there technically are ways to do stop the cheats using ZScript. It's not the best method, but it works well enough that you only have a few frames to enable them (look at above post).

• Shane likes this

#24 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Ah whatever do want you want.

#25 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

I agree with Charizard here. He is not saying that people shouldn't cheat, he's saying that if people don't want others to cheat in one's quest, then disabling cheats should do that. Forcing the cheats is just dumb. As a rule of thumb, unless it's a challenge quest, if you have to cheat to win, then it's not a good quest.

Edited by Nexas, 30 May 2014 - 10:47 AM.

• Shane, Binx and David like this

#26 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

Ah whatever do want you want.

That I plan to do.

I agree with Charizard here. He is not saying that people shouldn't cheat, he's saying that if people don't want others to cheat in one's quest, then disabling cheats should do that. Forcing the cheats is just dumb. As a rule of thumb, unless it's a challenge quest, if you have to cheat top win, then it's not a good quest.

This.

I understand if you need to cheat to pass a bug. But there is no point in playing a game to avoid death, puzzles, etc. It's silly of the player.

#27 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

I'd disagree. Terraria is a great game. I have a lot of fun with it. But I've grinded out most of the equipment before. I've gathered up tons of money in it, which took hours. So next time I want to play through, I might want to cut that process shorter, so I give myself additional resources. I'm cheating, sure, but it's not affecting my enjoyment of the game. I don't HAVE to cheat, I'm CHOOSING to cheat. I really don't see why that's a huge issue.

• Ventus likes this

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

The best games have their own dedicated cheats that players can access through either a key combination or menu.  Infinite Health, Always At 1 HP, No Experience, Max Experience, Instant Level Up, etc. The best games also have difficulty options to accommodate the skill level of most types of players; Easy, Normal or Hard.

Edited by Koh, 30 May 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#29 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

That I plan to do.

Alrighty then.

#30 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'd disagree. Terraria is a great game. I have a lot of fun with it. But I've grinded out most of the equipment before. I've gathered up tons of money in it, which took hours. So next time I want to play through, I might want to cut that process shorter, so I give myself additional resources. I'm cheating, sure, but it's not affecting my enjoyment of the game. I don't HAVE to cheat, I'm CHOOSING to cheat. I really don't see why that's a huge issue.

Yeah but in my opinion, if this is your first play through of a quest and the quest creator wants you to play a certain way, it's not fair to that quest creator if that person cheats because then the hard work the quest creator put into the quest's flow design goes down the drain.

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users