Photo

Best/Worst Zelda Classic quest you ever played?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

OK, I think this is the right thread for it....

What is your favorite and least favorite quest you ever played? It doesn't have to be based on length, gameplay, etc...but overall feel of it.

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I've only played a few. So far this is my list:

#1 - Depressive Donuts: I Hate Mayonnaise 2 (by Rambly)
#2 - The Islands of Zelda (by Lightwulf)

I haven't really played terrible quests yet, but I've played quests that were well made (but dull)
and I've played quests that annoy the heck out of me because Link doesn't have freedom of movement,
and the the overworld is a pain in the *** to walk around because every 5 out of 6 screens is a dead end.
Not naming names. I worry that naming "worst quests" will only arouse indignation.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Best: Bikdip's Adventure 2: Electric Boogaloo
Full screen cinematics and long cinematic scenes in a ZC quest? I was in love so much... and I just love the extreme unique themed dungeons... Jish was probably making this quest entirely for fun... fun to make and fun to play.

Worst:
Who knows? I played tons of quests, and among them, there were quests with only a few screens and quests that are all were made for the same template. There wasn't one standing out that much, nor I would want to name one's quest as worst, since they might have evolved since then, maybe making something wonderful now...
In fact, I should probably say Eight Stars... it would have been my next quest after Shadow Wars, but it was so full of bugs that it was easier to cancel than anything else...

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Call it a hunch, but this seems like a recipe for disaster. The best quest I've ever played would probably be either Hero of Dreams or ToTheTop. I'm not gonna give a worst quest.

#5 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jan 24 2012, 12:31 PM) View Post

Call it a hunch, but this seems like a recipe for disaster. The best quest I've ever played would probably be either Hero of Dreams or ToTheTop. I'm not gonna give a worst quest.
You're not the only one. Some feelings may be hurt here. There is no problem with doing a 'Best quest you ever played" thread though. Currently I don't have a best or worst. I've never actually finished a ZC quest in all these years.

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

My favorite was "The Fort Knights" by Joe123. One hell of a nice, short quest.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Best is Hero of Dreams. I honestly like it better than any 2D Zelda Nintendo's put out. Great story, spectacular design... Lost Isle and Link to the Heavens are runners up, even if LI's difficulty curve is a bit frustrating at times.

Worst... I've played some bad quests before, but not sure if I have a worst. Probably one I vaguely remember that was thrown together in the NewFirst tileset and was just horrible.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Dunno about best, but worst, do I even need to say it? I'm not even sure that counts as a quest, but there you go.

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

Best Quests:
* Link's Birthday DX by Mr. Z
* Hero of Dreams by Shoelace

Worst Quests:
* Any quest in which the questmaker does not put effort into.

Seriously though, I smell flame/troll-baiting if someone even dicusses the worst quests. icon_shrug.gif

#10 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Best Quest: TLoZ: Fort Knights

Worst Quest: Hero of Dreams

I'd go into depth about my views on these quests, however, I'd likely FLIP OUT MAN. And flame/troll.

Edited by Marco, 24 January 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#11 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Aside from Darkflamewolf's quests, I did enjoy End of Time and it's DX version by Pineconn.

As for quests I didn't like....well....Pure Quest had WAY too many bugs...XP

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

I've always championed The Revenge 2 by PrinceMSC as the best quest. It's a bit dated now, and doesn't offer much in the way of unique gameplay mechanics (was done in 1.90), but as a standard "quest" (different coloured dungeons scattered around a single overworld with little to no dialogue/cutscenes/story) it's about as close to perfection as I've seen. If you have 2-3 hours to spare and feel like knocking out a solid retro-style quest, look no further.

As for the worst... I haven't played many quests over the last few years, but I remember a fair few average ones back in the day. Not by name though. They were unmemorable icon_razz.gif

#13 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

My favorite quest is Link's Awakening Birthday DX. It was well-designed, epic, and challenging.

My least favorite quest is any quest that is poorly playtested. Getting stuck in a wall at any time is simply unacceptable, as are clearly unreasonable difficulty spikes.

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jan 24 2012, 12:31 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Franky @ Jan 24 2012, 12:36 PM) View Post

You're not the only one. Some feelings may be hurt here. There is no problem with doing a 'Best quest you ever played" thread though. Currently I don't have a best or worst. I've never actually finished a ZC quest in all these years.

It feels like we complain about problems before they're even present. Give this thread a chance.

#14 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Ever since I read these previous "favourite/best" threads I saw a few problems that just made me turn against these types of threads. But I'll give it a try:

Best: Nothing
Worst: Nothing

There is no best for me nor the worst. icon_shrug.gif

#15 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hmm... Well, I guess I'll give my opinion here. Note that this is entirely my opinion, I do not intend to offend anybody by my choices, and I will not take it back so don't try to make me. (Sad that I feel that I have to say that beforehand)

Best quests: Hero of Dreams, Lost Isle, Link to the Heavens DX

Reasons: Each of these quests has something they did exceptionally well, to the point that they stand out to the front of my mind. Even so, I still find them flawed. I have yet to play an absolutely perfect quest that truely captures the "Zelda Spirit" if you get my point.

Hero of Dreams worked fairly well. The dungeons were well designed and creative, and I was able to navigate the overworld without a problem. My main issue with the game is the sense of humor it tries to get across. 99 percent of the time, my immersion in the game was torn away by a horrible attempt at a joke, and I just couldn't get back into it. The only other major complaint I had was that the bosses didn't have much by way of artwork. They simply didn't match the rest of the game very well.

Lost Isle is another favorite of mine. The dungeons were large and creative, even down to the themes for most of them. Honestly, I have never played a quest that had a working factory as a dungeon before, and I fell in love with the idea behind the sky dungeon's gravity flipping layout.

The killer to this game was two parts, both fairly minor but enough to hurt it for me. First off, the overworld was simply far too big and too easy to get lost. I like that they tried to make an Metroid-esque overworld, but at the very least a bit more direction would be nice to have. The second issue is much more minor, but the raft paths in the first dungeon could benefit from not being as winding. I already know what I'm aiming for, I don't need a 3 minute "cutscene" of rafting in circles each way if I took the wrong raft path. Make them straightforward and add some sort of indicator if there's a branching path.

Light of the Heavens has to be the closest one to the perfect quest as I have been able to find. Every single screen on the overworld is Screenshot of the Week quality, and the dungeons are a joy to explore. The storyline was fairly good, if not slightly cliched in spots, but that's easily forgivable.

The faults I've been able to find here are few. For one, a more obvious sign that a wall is bombable on the overworld would be appreciated, especially since there are many lost-forever type secrets to find. Again, like Hero of Dreams, a couple bosses have odd artwork choices. Not all of them, though (Stallord looked amazing, although some slight movement would have been nice). Finally, in my wandering around for secret places, I accidentially wandered off the map into the dark abyss beyond. A bit more work on blocking off the edges were obviously needed.

Now for the worst. I've struggled through a handful of quests, and I'm not going to take the lazy way out and claim a quest that was too bugged to play. I'm going to pick a quest that was fully playable, but just too horrible to want to play it. My choice has to be "The Tao of Link"

I did not even finish the first dungeon, it was so bad. I've heard some good things about the quest, but I couldn't handle it. For one thing, the music was completely screwed up on the overworld. Not a bad music choice, but it didn't play correctly no matter what I did to try to fix it. Even restarting it had no effect, and I had to start playing with the sound muted.

Second of all, the overworld was horribly designed. Now, I have a problem already with walking behind the GB-style treetops, because that is not how they worked in the original games. The reason behind this complaint is most obvious in this game. Most quests I've played have the bad design choice of clumping trees close together and hiding items behind paths that are only hard to find because the trees appear to form a solid wall and it's hard to easily distinguish a narrow path behind a group of treetops in the clumping. The ENTIRE OVERWORLD was build behind this design choice for this game. Every single screen I traversed was a headache-inducing "Where's Waldo"-feeling visual pain to pick out pathways through the endless trees.

Next, the dungeon itself. The dungeon's exterior appeared to be a tall Asian-style tower, and I already felt myself looking forward to a unique dungeon. I was expecting custom art of rice-paper divider walls and Asian artwork decorating the rooms. Instead, I ended up with an ugly version of the overused bland LttP dungeon tiles with nearly no decorations on the walls. If I'm exploring a "Rice Padoga", which was the name of the first dungeon, I don't want it to just look like another brick hole in the ground! I want it to actually look like what it claims to be!

The final nail in the coffin had to be the dungeon design itself. I had to try to navigate unmarked walk-through walls and bombable walls, with absolutely no hint as to them being anything out of the ordinary. At that point, I just gave up and stopped playing.

If anything, that game pretty much served to teach me what NOT to do in a quest. I simply could not get any enjoyment out of it at all.

EDIT: Wow, I did not intend for my post to be that long. To think I was using "Fast Reply" and only expected a couple lines...

Edited by kurt91, 25 January 2012 - 03:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users