Terraria!

• Please log in to reply
691 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

It looks like it's going to be similar to Minecraft, but in 2D. It's produced primarily by Redigit, the sole creator of SMB X, which recently got shut down by Nintendo and its lawyers.

The plus sides of Terraria looks like it will have many more features than Minecraft in terms of interactivity. Almost everything Minecraft has now, Terraria already has, and so very, very much more.

Whereas most people like Minecraft for its ability to create a 3D world you could explore, Terraria will be the equivalent of a 2D platformer landscape RPG that you can create and alter, while still maintaining that multiplayer world theme.

I don't know about you, but I'm very excited about it. So much progress has been made since January when its production began.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm really excited about this game. I think the feature that really got me interested in the first place is that NPC's will move into the villages and castles you build, and will in return sell you things "you will need on your journey". I think that's really cool, as you can make a village and have it populated, and then go off on your own personal little adventures while of course making sure no one attacks the town or anything.

I don't know why this hasn't been added to Minecraft yet, but it does look like it's going in that direction, or at least a similar one. Either way, when this comes out, we totally have to set up a PureZC-server.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

I'm also looking forward to this game. If there's one thing Minecraft has always been missing, it's giant worms and the Eye of Cthulhu.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Aye. Basically, if given a choice between Minecraft and Terraria, it'd be the latter.

With the "moving in to your castle," you actually need to build some furniture for the NPCs to use. For a nurse to move in, you need to increase your maximum health via finding crystal hearts and smashing them with a hammer type item.

There's already well over 200 items you can craft. Compare that to Minecraft's barely dozens. I ran out of things to do so quickly.

Also, to make a house "secure," you need to hammer away at the dirt background (If you dug it out) and replace whatever background was there with a non-dirt background. It takes a lot of materials to build that background, too. Check some of the Let's Plays that are out there already. They gave a copy of the Terrarium Alpha to some of the Minecraft Let's Players to document it.

#5 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

It looks just like mincraft. But, I don't think I'll like the whole 2D thing. It seems that there would be less to explore that way.

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

This looks like it'll be totally fun =D. It's SOOOOOO freakin' obvious that their sprites are Final Fantasy 5 battle sprites edited, but meh.

#7 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

That looks amazing. After watching one video I already want to play, badly.

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ May 2 2011, 09:44 AM) View Post

Aye. Basically, if given a choice between Minecraft and Terraria, it'd be the latter.

With the "moving in to your castle," you actually need to build some furniture for the NPCs to use. For a nurse to move in, you need to increase your maximum health via finding crystal hearts and smashing them with a hammer type item.

There's already well over 200 items you can craft. Compare that to Minecraft's barely dozens. I ran out of things to do so quickly.

Also, to make a house "secure," you need to hammer away at the dirt background (If you dug it out) and replace whatever background was there with a non-dirt background. It takes a lot of materials to build that background, too. Check some of the Let's Plays that are out there already. They gave a copy of the Terrarium Alpha to some of the Minecraft Let's Players to document it.

Freaking this. Minecraft can sorta be credited to making this type of game popular, but it's seeming like its lagging behind the competition. What I really like about this is how it doesn't take the whole world made of blocks as literally as Minecraft. Pretty much everything is like 5x as complicated as Minecraft despite the fact that this game is in 2D.

#9 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:46 AM

Looks good, but everything seems too small and there's too much going on at once. I prefer the simplicity of Minecraft, but there's certainly things that could make it better (such as stumbling upon a massive sleeping dragon whilst exploring the caves. Do you tread softly, or try to fight it and steal its treasure?).

Terraria looks like a lot of fun anyway, and more geared towards action than building. I'll give it a go icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 2 2011, 12:03 PM) View Post
What I really like about this is how it doesn't take the whole world made of blocks as literally as Minecraft. Pretty much everything is like 5x as complicated as Minecraft despite the fact that this game is in 2D.
Notch's earlier game, Wurm, was a 3D MMORPG that let you sculpt the terrain and craft items very similar to Minecraft, though it wasn't a "world made of blocks" approach. It was more like moving vertices on a 3D model, rotating the polygons and stuff to create a different shape. I much prefer the voxel design of Minecraft though.

#10 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

I like how nowhere on the guys website does he even bother siting Minecraft as a primary influence. Not that he has to, but comon, when you base your entire game around something, at least a shout out would be neat.

It looks really really lame to me though to be honest. Whereas Minecraft is just like playing with a box of legos, this looks like Megablocks. Whereas one is a incredibly versatile tool of creation that gives you just enough to build whatever you want with just a little imagination, the other just provides you with more fleshed out pieces that come pre-made to look like what you want, no creativity or imagination needed.

I'll go back to digging holes now. icon_deformed.gif

#11 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

I was ready to tear it apart for being a shameless Minecraft ripoff, but after watching the full trailer, it looks significantly different. Terraria looks to be based on combat a lot more than building stuff.

Needless to say, I'll be following this one closely. Although, for a sandbox-style building utility, I'll still stick with Minecraft. icon_razz.gif

#12 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

I dunno. Sure, it has more features than Minecraft, but I like Minecraft for the fact that it's 3D. It makes it seem more real, and that's a big part of what I love about it. I actually feel like I'm constructing an entire world. I don't think I'd get the same feeling by playing this. Dunno. Just not for me, I guess. :/

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ May 3 2011, 10:56 PM) View Post

I dunno. Sure, it has more features than Minecraft, but I like Minecraft for the fact that it's 3D. It makes it seem more real, and that's a big part of what I love about it. I actually feel like I'm constructing an entire world. I don't think I'd get the same feeling by playing this. Dunno. Just not for me, I guess. :/

A world of blocks feels real to you? XD.

#14 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ May 3 2011, 11:04 PM) View Post

A world of blocks feels real to you? XD.
You know what I mean. I never said it feels real, but the fact that it's 3D just sort of gives that impression, to an extent.

Edited by Beta Link, 03 May 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:38 AM

You really can't think of Terraria as a 2D Minecraft. You just can't. It's like saying that a bookshelf is a dinner table for books. ... ... (Wow, that is the worst analogy I've ever made. Retract it! RETRACT IT!!!!)

If anything, you build to get NPCs and shopkeepers into your homes. You forge to actually accomplish things. You alter the terrain for specific purposes, rather than merely constructive. It's an adventure game and a building game in one.

In fact, check out this playthrough (Warning: It's a full hour long...) which explains a lot of things, while one of the Developers (Sort of) is there with the talkthrough host.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users