Photo

The Myers Briggs Personality Test

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Test Result Poll

Which personality type did you get from the test?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

It's very interesting to me to see that INTJ is the most common result here. I remember reading somewhere that INTJ is generally the rarest result for the population as a whole.

Anyway this is the third time I've taken the test.
Over 4 years ago I was INTJ.
About 3.5 years ago I was ISTJ.
This time: INTJ.

INTJ
Introvert(100%) iNtuitive(25%) iNtuitive Thinking(50%) Judging(22%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

#32 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(Red Phazon @ Jul 25 2012, 01:23 AM) View Post

It's very interesting to me to see that INTJ is the most common result here. I remember reading somewhere that INTJ is generally

I think that Wikipedia has it as the 2nd rarest of all types (with INFJ being the rarest). There might be something to say about an INTJ having a higher probability of communicating through message boards compared to most other personality types. The opposite, the ESFP, is a type of person who enjoys being the center of attention (could be good or bad, depending on how it's done), and thus are spending a lot less time communicating through the internet (with the exception of maybe something like Facebook or Twitter).

Oh, and for a little humor (nothing to take seriously):

There are other videos like this one, with two different types in a conversation. Some are getting along, and some are not (or only one tolerates the other), but I am sure that opposite types can still get along fine, or at least under the right circumstances.

#33 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

I have taken at least two variations of this test, and the professional one gave me INFP ( http://www.personali.../html/INFP.html ). This website calls them "Idealists," but I think I have heard INFPs referred to as "Healers." Idealist is a pretty accurate description of me, though, as some of my major life decisions have been idealistic in a way that some other people had a hard time understanding.

I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm right on the borderline between extraverted and introverted. Ultimately I "recharge" better alone, but I also crave regular human interaction, so I'm not a complete hermit. icon_smile.gif

It is pretty amazing how much INTJ has dominated here. Part of it may be coincidence, part may be the type of people who are attracted to PureZC, and part may even been the type of people who are simply likely to take a personality test when they are referred to one on PZC. Who knows? icon_razz.gif

Yoshimi:

Yes, boiling your personality down to just four letters is a little bit too simplistic. But that's why they give you all those other percentages... for instance, I may be INFP, but I know I am borderline between E and I, and that is a defining factor in my life.

You can always refer to the detailed information if you want. I think it's hard, though, to write general summaries of personality types without dividing them into a small number of categories (like 16).

#34 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

Yoshimi:

Yes, boiling your personality down to just four letters is a little bit too simplistic. But that's why they give you all those other percentages... for instance, I may be INFP, but I know I am borderline between E and I, and that is a defining factor in my life.

You can always refer to the detailed information if you want. I think it's hard, though, to write general summaries of personality types without dividing them into a small number of categories (like 16)

Oh, I do understand the approach and why it makes sense to take this route. At the same time I am always somewhat suspicious with psychological tests. They don't fall out of the sky, after all. I would like to learn a little about the research that went into this and the research methods that have been used. Things like these can very easily break the validity of tests such as this and I'm not going to believe in this test's merit just because some scientists (assumingly and hopefully psychologists) named Myers and Briggs put their name on it. That alone doesn't tell me anything. I would for example like to know why they have chosen the categories they did (Did they analyse factors? Did they just engage in theoretical guess work?) and why they think that these categories are better suited to describe personality than the good ole' big five (that already explain a lot of variance in the research data).

And then my general gripe with the analytic approach where enteties are cut into nice observable bits is that so much information gets lost due to disregarding interactions, associations and other links between the units of any entity. The world, as we percieve it, doesn't consist of bits but of enteties. Observing the bits can help an understanding of this world, I very well acknowledge this. But it's not taking a look at the big picture and thus I wonder whether we really should blindly trust in it (= the analytical approach).
Can you truely describe a personality by seperating it into a set number of personality traits (and the same traits for each individual even!)? Isn't personality much rather a dynamic process (some would say merely an illusion even)? The personality I have while taking this test must not forcefully be the same personality I have while talking to my dad or sitting in a lecture, for example.

Edited by Yoshimi, 29 July 2012 - 04:33 AM.

#35 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Myers-Briggs doesn't try to categorize every aspect of people's personalities. It just marks their preferences for how they interact with other people and accomplish things.

It makes sense to question what the tests are based on, but it's your responsibility to go find out. I haven't investigated much myself, but seeing as this test has been recommended to me by multiple professionals, I'm sure the research documentation has been published.

#36 MaximusFred

MaximusFred

Zelda Master Of Science

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm nearly a 100% INTP. (95 % introverted)

But.. Did you notice that the most part of ZC players voted here are generally introverted?!

Interesting.. Does that mean, that ZC are generally more imaginative and introverted?

I think that would match very well or even perfect with the game character of Zelda if you think ..(mysterious, alone, fighting, thinking, solving puzzles)..

What do you think?

PS: 100th post! ;-)

#37 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

10 INTJs and 7 INTPs. This wouldn't normally be this common in the real word. NT types are what are considered the Rational temperament, which is one out of four temperaments. The others are NF (the idealists), SJ (the guardians), and SP (the artisans). That probably says that many who are drawn to a place like PureZC are abstract (rather than concrete) and pragmatic (rather than cooperative). There is a lot more that can be said about that, which can be found here.
  • Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#38 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Well, the SP artisan thing pretty much nailed it, at least for me.

#39 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

Introvert(50%)  iNtuitive(41%)  Thinking(3%)  Judging(12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (50%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (3%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (12%)

#40 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Introvert(41%) Sensing(12%) Thinking(6%) Perceiving(25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (41%)
  • You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition(12%)
  • You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (6%)
  • You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (25%)

There were only 64 questions though.

[Edit 1] What have I done wrong? Looking up what ISTP is, half of the points pretty much are the opposite of me, the others are very accurate though...

[Edit 2] From checking the 15 others I can tell I have a huge liking for IN people. No wonder I have such issues to find people IRL I feel really drawn to, surely not the kind that roams the streets. And why I like many people here so much.

[Edit 3] I thought it over and it's really frustrating. I am anxious and haven't a strong body, both things that explain why I am not sporty and don't like risks. I also like to look into things, but my wits aren't the best and my hand to eye coordination is horrible. This fits quite well to the observation I made thanks to some members here - my interests and talents don't fit. Makes quite a lot sense with how difficult it is for me to find things I really like...

Edited by Chris, 02 May 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#41 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

I will say that this is probably the kind of website that draws IN people.

I can't remember my exact percentages, but I do remember taking issue with a point that it gave, saying that I didn't commit to things (people, causes, what you will) or if I did, that it was really temporary. That's so against my character that I actually got angry at it.

EDIT: forgot to say, I'm supposedly INFP

Edited by klop422, 02 May 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#42 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

From my experience, most people who are active on forums are going to be Introverted.

INFP

Introverted(22%) iNtuitive((38%) Feeling(69%) Perciving (41%)

For the most part, after reading the profile, I feel this personality type accuracy describes me. Funny thing is, I could go to a majority of those personality types, read their profile, and point out accurate facts about myself.

"When it comes to the mundane details of life maintenance, INFPs are typically unaware of such things. They might go for long periods with noticing a stain on the carpet, but carefully and meticulously brush a speck of dust off of their project book" This is me :lol:.

The Myers Briggs Theory is interesting and it goes much deeper than a simple test and profile, however, it may not be the most accurate way of accessing a person's personality. 

#43 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Introvert(75%) Sensing(16%) Thinking(12%) Perceiving(38%)

I don't feel comfortable with taking a clear position and prefer going the middle way and don't really know who I am. This time I was a lot more daring, no real difference in the result though.

I know I shouldn't take this test too serious, but it feels like a slap in the face. I have a lot of the negative points of the ISTP, but lack the positive points (being an athlete or skilled with mechanical stuff).

From the description I can tell that I am not too fond of ISTP people, though that fits with me not liking myself very much.

#44 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:25 AM

When I took this years ago when this thread was first posted, I think I was scored INTJ and I was much in all those directions. I took it recently-ish and got INTP. Just took the test now, it says I'm an ENTJ now, but all the numbers were very low, 3% each.

I'm not a fan of many of the questions, it's too often where a question has a clear positive/negative bias where I could see someone not wanting to admit that they cannot "grasp new concepts quickly" for example.

I actually have that issue with personality tests in general where I think someone's preconceived notion of themselves rapidly corrupts the answers as well. Also for me, my answers can change depending on the day, some days I feel more introverted and some days I feel more extroverted. On an introverted day when I see the question "after interacting with people, I feel the need to be alone for a while" and think "YES! Nothing sounds more wonderful than that right now" but on another day that sounds like the worst thing ever.

Anyway, whatever, it's just a fun online personality test :P

#45 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

I will say that I've pretty consistently gotten INFP, but a good test should take into account how people's answers may be affected by their personality type. Maybe by their moods as well, depending on if you can ascertain that (maybe some 'how are you feeling?' questions in there somehow).

I agree that it's just a fun personality test, but it is taken too seriously and that annoys me.

I had friend who had a school research project where he used the MBTI for his data. Fine, it's not that serious a project, but it did hinge on that website.

Game Theory have used it for three of their theories (polling the audience between theories), and, while they're questionable a lot of times, I do enjoy the show. However, they do read a lot into the data, and based all three theories around the test. Annoys me to no end.

Also, I've heard that a lot of workplaces use it. That's a little worrying.

Anyway, rant over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users