Zelda Classic on Android?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

I belive Allegro is the only thing keeping ZC from Android.

#32 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

As I said, Allegro v5 exists for Android, and to my understanding, Allegro 5 is backward-compatible with Allegro 4. There are other problems that make ZC difficult to port: I don't even know with absolute certainty if ZC is compiled in gcc, but until recently, there was no gcc on Android.

I would rather have a PowerPC build for OSX/Linux. That isn't even hard to do--ZC for OSX/PPC had existed in the past--but none of the devs have a G4/G5 system. My offer still stands to loan out a G5 to compile it.

You can buy a rather fast dual-G5, or a quad-G5, for next to naught now. I don;t know if ZC could fully-use the CPU engines (Altivec, multi-core, etc.) though, as I don;t know if compilers, or Allegro variants exist for each of these. (I would love a G5 optimised version, as I have seven G5 system, of which two are servers, and two are 2.7GHz models.)

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 March 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#33 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Allegro 5 is not backwards compatible with allegro 4. Fundamentally, they do very different things graphics-wise: A4 uses GDI on Win32, A5 uses OpenGL or D3D. etc.

The main two problems are: 1) moving all the palette related stuff directly to OpenGL shaders, and 2)re-jiggering the packfile formats. There are a few reads on this topic so far:

http://wiki.allegro....g_from_A4_to_A5
https://github.com/k...r/allegro4-to-5

All that is needed for someone to start porting it is the ZC source code. How about this: If it's not done by April 1st, just start spam messaging both myself and Saffith (especially Saffith :D ) on a daily basis until it is. :P

#34 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification. That llegro4-to-5 thing was probably what I was thinking about, when it came to backward compatibility; I think I saw it mentioned in the past, that you could run Allegro4 code on Allegro5, but I didn't remember that yet-another-library was needed.

I further thought that ZC was already using OpenGL (AllegroGL), to some extent. What graphics libraries are in use with Allegro, for ZC on Linux/OSX? Is this where Allegro4-to-5 API translation is happening (and thus, the reason for additional performance problems, because of Yet-Another-HAL), or is something else happening?

As to sources, it's a shame that your agreement with DarkNation precludes making a GPL release, but that's how it is, and how I expect, that it will likely remain for some long time. I can't even imagine what kind of a spaghetti-maze the basecode is, at present; much less the sheer level of work required to undertake changing API framework functions, which are likely required just about everywhere. 

It's not something that I really expect to be done any time in any near future. Perhaps, far, far, along the road, it may, but I don't anticipate it.

#35 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

what's GPL?

#36 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

General Public License, a.k.a. Gnu Public License.

#37 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

Zelda Classic on the 3DS maybe?

#38 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

Zelda Classic on the 3DS maybe?

At present, ZC is patently ignored by Nintendo, like so much other doujinishi. If it was ported to a Nintendo device, I would expect the gloves to come off; as that would directly compete with their 3DS Store.

#39 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

At present, ZC is patently ignored by Nintendo, like so much other doujinishi. If it was ported to a Nintendo device, I would expect the gloves to come off; as that would directly compete with their 3DS Store.

What about the DSi or DS Lite?  

acekard.JPG  

acekard-3-3ds.jpg

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 04 June 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#40 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

It's come up before. Long story short: It's impossible due to the way ZC is coded (it depends on Allegro, and old, computer-only library).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users