Official 5th Quest Contest

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#31 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'd say go for it with your overworld palette, strike. If your entry gets rejected because of it you can easily switch back to NES palette and resubmit.

#32 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

So... maybe I'm the odd one out, but I really don't see the point of celebrating how far ZC's come by essentially restricting ourselves to the limits of ZC 1.0 (with a few little exceptions). That sounds... very boring, to be completely honest. We already have 4 official NES quests. Do we really need a 5th? Wouldn't everybody's time be better spent working on an official ZC quest that shows what ZC is capable of now, rather than what it was capable of ten years ago? I dunno, the whole contest just seems very arbitrary and counter-intuitive to me, not to mention it could easily make a new-comer to ZC thing we haven't really evolved much past Zelda 1 clones.

You literally took the words out of my mouth.

#33 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

You literally took the words out of my mouth.

In a bad way or do you agree with him? ;)

EDIT: Never mind. You agree with Russ, no? :)

Edited by DaviAwesome, 23 August 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#34 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

So... maybe I'm the odd one out, but I really don't see the point of celebrating how far ZC's come by essentially restricting ourselves to the limits of ZC 1.0 (with a few little exceptions). That sounds... very boring, to be completely honest. We already have 4 official NES quests. Do we really need a 5th? Wouldn't everybody's time be better spent working on an official ZC quest that shows what ZC is capable of now, rather than what it was capable of ten years ago? I dunno, the whole contest just seems very arbitrary and counter-intuitive to me, not to mention it could easily make a new-comer to ZC thing we haven't really evolved much past Zelda 1 clones.

Well we're planning multiple contests; this is just the first of the lot.  We went classic because it will be auto-loading after the player beats the 4th quest and to stray too far from NES style would create a jarring experience.  Classic style quests are also the fastest and easiest to construct (especially with a locked overworld) so it will let this contest end quickly.

The contest you'd probably be interested in is called "Brave New World".  The goal will be to--using a flexible tileset determined at the contest's start--build a new template overworld which can then be used to make a new line of numbered quests.  Said contest will likely begin sometime after this one has been judged (probably next Spring?), and would welcome (if not require) all the bells and whistles a trained ZC 2.5 quest maker can muster.

The name to unlock 5th Quest in ZC will most likely be DarkNation.

EDIT: Whoops, Gleeok and SUCCESSOR both covered this already.  That'll teach me to skim threads instead of reading cover to cover!

Edited by Cjc7988, 25 August 2013 - 01:56 AM.

• strike and David like this

#35 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Cjc7988- I'm glad we are to commemorate DarkNation. It seems only right that he should be remembered in this way. :(

I like the Brave New World idea. If the community comes together for this it will be fantastic. Why have one overworld map? Might as well have nine. We could make something amazing.

-Strike

#36 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

I just realized I put the submission date wrong. :x It was supposed to be 6 weeks, not 10 weeks. So unless the majority feel that Oct. 5th is not enough time, assume that is the deadline. Sorry about the mix-up.

#37 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Oh. Count me out. I'm not going to be able to finish by that deadline. I'm pretty busy with school. :/

Hope everybody else is able to finish! :)

-Strike

#38 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ya, I have to say the same. The only time I can make the quest is during the weekend, so I'll only have like 18 days to do it instead of 30, so ya. I won't be able to finish. School gives me like 4 hours of homework each day, and then I still have to practice my piano and cello, and then it is basically time to go to bed. So sorry, I'll have to drop out unless the time is extended back to November :D Hope everyone else finishes! :)

#39 BtjCraft

BtjCraft

Praise Double Helix!

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

This really seems like an opportunity of a lifetime, I'll make sure that I'll officially join as soon as I can.

Three questions though,

1. Are we allowed to change very popular/traditional quotes in the game?

2. Are we allowed to duplicate the "bug" script for the first quest to only a couple other places?

3. Who/What determines the "key word" for the quest (like Zelda for the 2nd quest)?

#40 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Ya, I have to say the same. The only time I can make the quest is during the weekend, so I'll only have like 18 days to do it instead of 30, so ya. I won't be able to finish. School gives me like 4 hours of homework each day, and then I still have to practice my piano and cello, and then it is basically time to go to bed. So sorry, I'll have to drop out unless the time is extended back to November :D Hope everyone else finishes! :)

Yes, I am quoting myself. XD

Anyways, another reason I have for dropping out (I MAY BE COMING BACK PEOPLE) is that I already am helping like 7 people with their quests and I am also making my own quest. So I think that if I try to do this I will fail miserably because I will not have enough time, due to obvious reasons. And since I don't want to not help the people that I said I would help, I am sort of forced to drop out. I would really love to do this, but I think I am going to wait until the other contests are made, since by that time I will probably have much more time. I am particularly interested in the "Brave New World" contest :D.

Anyways, guys, thanks for the opportunity and I hope everyone else has time to do this and does great! :D

#41 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

As for the deadline issue I just posted this:

That was a stupid typo, so yes. The general consensus was that 4 weeks is not enough, and 8 weeks is more than enough time, so we went with 6. Although, an extra week or two might be really useful since school has started for some people, and that's about how long it takes to balance, bug-fix, and polish.

I can see the benefits of extending the deadline though. It's going to take a while before voting to allow people to play the quests anyway, so the people that finish early can "get the best seat" so-to-speak simply because they can make their 5th available before others have finished, and have more time for tweaking. ...What do you guys think?

If enough entrants need more time I think that should be respected.

This really seems like an opportunity of a lifetime, I'll make sure that I'll officially join as soon as I can.

Three questions though,
1. Are we allowed to change very popular/traditional quotes in the game?
2. Are we allowed to duplicate the "bug" script for the first quest to only a couple other places?
3. Who/What determines the "key word" for the quest (like Zelda for the 2nd quest)?

1) Please do!
2) By all means.
3) You ever watch Star Trek II - those little ear/brain things? Those do. :P

#42 Travster

Travster

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Does the quest have to be harder than quest 4?

#43 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

I am going to enter the 5th quest contest.  But I have a feeling that even though I am staying in the rules you guys will disqualify me for too much puzzles. >_<

#44 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I am going to enter the 5th quest contest.  But I have a feeling that even though I am staying in the rules you guys will disqualify me for too much puzzles. >_<

Hey theres no rules about puzzles so why should they disqualify it then? Whats wrong with puzzles :lol:

#45 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

If they are anything like the puzzles you've made before, I would not complain a bit. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users