Official 5th Quest Contest

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#16 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ok, so it seems that atleast 3 people want a contest for showing off what ZC 2.50 uses....hmm....

#17 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'd like to lift the restriction on using Ganon at the end (maybe allow a scripted enemy very similar to Ganon?), but other than that this sounds pretty neat. I think that using scripting and such to break one or two of the rules of the classic setup while still following the majority of it leaves room for a lot of creativity.

#18 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Would it be all right if all the overworld was darker, like it was at night, and all the enemies were stronger? In other words instead of being "the fifth quest", it would be a more clamactic ending to the series. NPCs could say stuff like "NIGHT HAS FALLEN. NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS." All gameplay would keep close to the first quest though. Would points stil be detracted for being unlike the first quest? I mean it feels kind of boring to make the last game in a five long series just like all the rest. If not, I might enter.

-Strike
  • David likes this

#19 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

So... maybe I'm the odd one out, but I really don't see the point of celebrating how far ZC's come by essentially restricting ourselves to the limits of ZC 1.0 (with a few little exceptions). That sounds... very boring, to be completely honest. We already have 4 official NES quests. Do we really need a 5th? Wouldn't everybody's time be better spent working on an official ZC quest that shows what ZC is capable of now, rather than what it was capable of ten years ago? I dunno, the whole contest just seems very arbitrary and counter-intuitive to me, not to mention it could easily make a new-comer to ZC thing we haven't really evolved much past Zelda 1 clones.

I think it'd be kind of nice to have both: that way, you could really see how far things have come.
  • David likes this

#20 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'd like to lift the restriction on using Ganon at the end (maybe allow a scripted enemy very similar to Ganon?), but other than that this sounds pretty neat. I think that using scripting and such to break one or two of the rules of the classic setup while still following the majority of it leaves room for a lot of creativity.

Now that I also agree with :D

#21 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

One question: Could I modify the ring items to make them behaved more like they did in A Link to the Past where they, still halving/quartering, reduce damage taken by a maximum of x number of hearts per hit? I have a script for it.

This is tricky since people expect the original items to work as they have previously. It's also a corner case in the rule "Replacing existing items with another item type is not allowed" as adding a script to change an item could change it's type by nature. I think what you want to do falls in line as an "item variant" though.

I was considering entering, but the rule forbidding the use of ghost.zh and basically forcing me to use the default, poorly designed NES Ganon just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I haven't used the Ganon enemy since YOLO and I don't plan on breaking that trend.

Good luck to everyone else, though. I'm sure you'll all make some fantastic quests...minus the Ganon fight. Have I mentioned how I hate NES Ganon? I can't mention this enough. It rivals my hatred of Aquamentus if that's somehow possible. :P

Of course you have to have a Ganon - the whole point of LOZ is to collect Triforce, beat Ganon, save princess! You need a Ganon type enemy for all the flashy effects, at least. There's a whole lot of area between "no ghost.zh" and "default". Don't be silly!

Question: If we introduce item jinxes, are we allowed to use the rule "Things that remove sword jinxes also removes item jinxes"?

Yes, of course. Silly me. :P

I am thinking about this.... Does someone just submit their 5th quest to the database?

Figured there would be at least a week or two before anyone finished. Don't have the details yet.

So... maybe I'm the odd one out, but I really don't see the point of celebrating how far ZC's come by essentially restricting ourselves to the limits of ZC 1.0 (with a few little exceptions). That sounds... very boring, to be completely honest. We already have 4 official NES quests. Do we really need a 5th? Wouldn't everybody's time be better spent working on an official ZC quest that shows what ZC is capable of now, rather than what it was capable of ten years ago? I dunno, the whole contest just seems very arbitrary and counter-intuitive to me, not to mention it could easily make a new-comer to ZC thing we haven't really evolved much past Zelda 1 clones.

That is planned as well. Without getting into it too much, the difference is mainly development time and effort. Someone adept as NES mechanics and basic Zquest functionality can produce a quality 5th quest in a relatively minimal amount of time, whereas something akin to neofirst - a coordinated, custom, scripted, layered, deeply detailed, and engaging world - takes a considerable amount of time. This is still in the planning phase and likely will be until the contest deadline, and this thread isn't really the place to talk about it either. If you are interested at all, feel free to send me a PM.

One of the great things about these contests is it accessible to everyone, not just scripting gurus or mapping and layering experts. You don't need a year of experience with complicated tilesets either. You only need some imagination, good ideas, know how, and a little free time. This is truly a venue where we can see veterans getting outdone by "unknowns".

Believe it or not, people do still like a good, solid, NES quest, and for anyone that felt they missed out on previous contests, this is most likely their last chance.

Also, my vote for the quest's required name: "OLD MAN"

Please, call him "OLD MAN". :P

• Moonbread likes this

#22 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I agree, though I think it should still happen as long as they remove the many restrictions that were placed! WE NEED TO SHOW WHAT ZELDA CLASSIC IS CAPABLE OF. Please. And when I say remove restrictions I only mean a few (like ghost.zh) but not all of them ;)

You and Russ aren't the only ones who feel that way and there are a lot of people at AGN who support ideas that showcase what 2.5 can do. Unfortunately the discussion about such a project has been lacking. It would be better to go and participate in such discussions instead of filling this topic about 5th quest contest with your disapproval. I mean seriously there are at least 3 topics where your suggestions and opinions about 5th were specifically asked for. One of them right here at PureZC.

Your hopes of getting ghost.zh approved for 5th will most likely not happen. As it is specifically used to create scripts that are not in the "NES Style." The NES bosses are a little old fashion but with a little beefing up and adjusting in the enemy editor they can still provide a fun challenge. Personally I see nothing in the rules barring the use of FFC scripts to "assist" a non "custom" boss, but that may be up to judges' discretion and the particular execution.

2.5 may have opened a lot of possibilities for more modern style quests but it still supports NES features and I see nothing regrettable about a classic style quest being put out and bundled with ZC. A lot of "modern" quests I've seen come out that don't improve and often don't match the gameplay value of the original game.

I so got ninja'd by Gleeok.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 23 August 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#23 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

You and Russ aren't the only ones who feel that way and there are a lot of people at AGN who support ideas that showcase what 2.5 can do. Unfortunately the discussion about such a projecknow, s been lacking. It would be better to go and participate in such discussions instead of filling this topic about 5th quest contest with your disapproval. I mean seriously there are at least 3 topics where your suggestions and opinions about 5th were specifically asked for. One of them right here at PureZC.

Your hopes of getting ghost.zh approved for 5th will most likely not happen. As it is specifically used to create scripts that are not in the "NES Style." The NES bosses are a little old fashion but with a little beefing up and adjusting in the enemy editor they can still provide a fun challenge. Personally I see nothing in the rules barring the use of FFC scripts to "assist" a non "custom" boss, but that may be up to judges' discretion and the particular execution.

This is disscusion. Talking about rules that think should be changed for the 5th quest is discussion. Unfortunately, you were also posting about the disapproval of my comment instead of talking about the 5th quest like you think we should. But you are probably right. They probably won't add ghost.zh ability, which is a bummer. But I'm still going to try out for the contest! ;)

#24 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

This is disscusion. Talking about rules that think should be changed for the 5th quest is discussion. Unfortunately, you were also posting about the disapproval of my comment instead of talking about the 5th quest like you think we should. But you are probably right. They probably won't add ghost.zh ability, which is a bummer. But I'm still going to try out for the contest! ;)

Forgive me if my post seemed to be completely directed at you. Your post was just the most convenient to quote. I was being lazy.

There is a difference between discussion regarding the rules and discussion about how we should be doing something else or why someone might find it irrelevant. Much of that happened in the original threads and that was okay. Here we are a month later with a finalized version of the rules and starting out. I'm sorry if anyone was absent or neglected the original discussions but we aren't regressing now. A lot of work has gone into getting to this point. Gleeok and I in particular argued through a lot of these rules. Let's just say I pushed more than anyone for leniency and I am rather happy with what we've come to.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 23 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

• David likes this

#25 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Forgive me if my post seemed to be completely directed at you. Your post was just the most convenient to quote. I was being lazy.

It's fine, no harm! :D But ya, you are right, I think staring now we should stop complaining about this and actually talk about it :) Sorry if I sounded rude as well... ;)

Edited by DaviAwesome, 23 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#26 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

As for your new edit, sorry, I didn't realize that. I joined this site not that long ago so I had no idea that that occured. Very sorry about that. I appreciate the big effort you guys have made to make this be able to happen :) And generally, I'm fine with the rules. I really wanted to use ghost.zh, but I know is wasn't going to happen anyways as this is meant to be similar to LoZ. I'm very sorry again, but really, great thanks to everyone who helped make this happen! :D

Your second edit: Yes, I'm very happy with it too! :D

Edited by DaviAwesome, 23 August 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#27 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

As for your new edit, sorry, I didn't realize that. I joined this site not that long ago so I had no idea that that occured. Very sorry about that. I appreciate the big effort you guys have made to make this be able to happen :) And generally, I'm fine with the rules. I really wanted to use ghost.zh, but I know is wasn't going to happen anyways as this is meant to be similar to LoZ. I'm very sorry again, but really, great thanks to everyone who helped make this happen! :D

Your second edit: Yes, I'm very happy with it too! :D

ghost.zh is a massive addition and would be excessive for the minimal scripting this contest supports. What you might do is pull some useful functions from ghost.zh as needed in your script. Since you wont be scripting any enemies from scratch I think that would more than suffice. As long as you don't go overboard I wouldn't think the judges would complain.

• David likes this

#28 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

ghost.zh is a massive addition and would be excessive for the minimal scripting this contest supports. What you might do is pull some useful functions from ghost.zh as needed in your script. Since you wont be scripting any enemies from scratch I think that would more than suffice. As long as you don't go overboard I wouldn't think the judges would complain.

Thanks! :D I might try that, thanks! :D

#29 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Gleeok, is my idea okay or not? I'm not in a rush, but I would like to know. Thanks in advance! :)

-Strike

#30 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Gleeok, is my idea okay or not? I'm not in a rush, but I would like to know. Thanks in advance! :)

-Strike

Oh, sorry about that.

New enemies are fine. Editing existing enemies is also okay. You can alter palettes if you wish, but I would be careful about such a few small changes that have such a monumental change in gameplay or feel. If you want to take that risk and think you can make it work then more power to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users