BassMIDI driver for Better MIDI sound

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

That's strange. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling bassmidi? Does it show up on your device list in your operating system's sound properties under MIDI music playback?

#47 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

My problem was resolved, there are apparently variations of the product that accomplish it in different ways and some of them under certain circumstances can result in distortion.

#48 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Does anyone know why ZQ/ZC freezing/unfreezing unfocusing causes all the instruments to become Acoustic Grand pianos? It's really annoying.

#49 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Mudkipz @ Apr 4 2012, 06:58 AM) View Post

6. Will Windows 7 cause the driver to break?

I am running this on Windows 7 just fine with no problems at all. icon_smile.gif

#50 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Aug 8 2012, 01:56 PM) View Post

Does anyone know why ZQ/ZC freezing/unfreezing causes all the instruments to become Acoustic Grand pianos? It's really annoying.

Oh god if anyone can find a fix for this...

#51 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Does anyone have problems even packing it? I can't even play a MIDI or open ZC or it freezes. If I try to alter anything my computer basically explodes. My computer is top notch so it doesn't make any sense to me... All the files I may need apparently don't exist anymore

#52 Darkmatt

Darkmatt

Pastel Heart

• Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hi there. This thread introduced me to this marvelous little device, so I thought I'd help it out by showing it something that might be better.

Getting tired of BassMIDI's shortcomings, (It did not agree with a couple of games and programs I tried running with it.) I thought, "Hey. It's been years since these midi problems cropped up. There HAS to be other solutions."

So I found this:

VirtualMIDISynth:
http://coolsoft.alte...irtualmidisynth

Technically, this is a midi driver that has built upon BassMIDI that is still being updated. (Last update was about a month and a half ago.) It has more settings and whatnot over BassMIDI, however, which one is the better one is really up to you. I haven't found any real superiority yet, and it seems unlikely that I'm going to.

Don't get me wrong, BassMIDI will play Zelda Classic MIDIs perfectly, (by the sounds of it) however, if you're like me, and you want to try something different for whatever reason, this is a good alternative.

#53 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

I tried VMS in hopes of fixing the main-instrument-becomes-a-piano-on-defocus glitch but unfortunately it didn't.

#54 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Dude... even this one crashes! It's hopeless.

EDIT: I got MIDI's playing on it! They sound great! Just one problem... My computer completely breaks down if anything but a midi file is played with them. For ex: If I open zelda classic or zquest, both the mouse and keyboard become completely dead. Shame... it had so much potential.

Edited by Brian, 10 September 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#55 Darkmatt

Darkmatt

Pastel Heart

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

This has nothing to do with anything, but if you are using VirtualMIDIsynth, turn realtime priority off in its settings.

Generally, if you're hearing stuttering and your computer is locking up trying to play MIDIs, it's probably that, and you should try turning it off.

#56 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Aug 9 2012, 03:56 AM) View Post
Does anyone know why ZQ/ZC freezing/unfreezing unfocusing causes all the instruments to become Acoustic Grand pianos? It's really annoying.
It was a bug, it should be fixed in the final version though.

#57 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, I noticed the fix. Glad that's over with!

#58 ekolis

ekolis

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Thanks, this is great! However, I hear what sounds like static or something every time the music gets even a bit on the loud side. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Actually, I think it's only the bass that causes the static...

Apparently, enabling my sound card's "headphone virtualization" feature made the static less grating... it's there all the time, but it's a bit quieter, and just by being omnipresent, it's easier to ignore!

Oh, looks like switching to VirtualMidiSynth fixed it completely! :D

Edited by ekolis, 27 January 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#59 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

I just found a soundfont based on the Roland SC-55. It's exactly the same as the default Windows sound, but with better quality. I'm in love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users