BassMIDI driver for Better MIDI sound

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

I had the same problem, but I thought it was always like that because of Windows 7.... So it seems music in 2.10 won't work with this Bassmidi. Then simply change the Bassmidi driver off by configurating, going to advanced and then changing it back to the Windows driver. 2.10.2 does work with Bassmidi though.

#32 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hmm. That's strange.

Try activating BassMIDI through PLW-Vista MIDI Mapper (I used then when I was using Windows 7 to get TIMIDITY working, should work the same way for getting BassMIDI?)

If that doesn't work, check in the Windows Mixer to see how BassMIDI's volume levels are.

#33 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

That control panel file is useful, thank you. This way I can switch between the two drivers (old and bassmidi) quick, because seems like I will need it (to have the original when running ZC2.10.2 and have Bassmidi otherwise).

Because using this control panel file to select bassmidi didn't solve the problem and I don't see volume settings specifically for Bassmidi among the sound options and management anywhere. But it's funny that while ZC was running, there was a separate volume scale for it, that will be useful to remember.

If everything is fine from 2.10.2 onwards, then maybe it's not a coincidence that 2.10.0 has the midi bug, maybe the issue is related.
(I was so waiting forward to listening to an enhanced Doctor Who New Seasons 4 title while in 2.10...)

#34 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hey again, I'm liking this engine (with a different soundfont - still looking for one I really love), but I wonder... what's the easiest way to play MIDIs in it? Timidity had its own player that was simple and worked. With BassMIDI I have resorted to playing in Anvil Studio which is not optimal. What app plays MIDIs with BassMIDI (besides ZC)?

Edit: Woah, WMP actually works with it! Who knew? Here's hoping it doesn't invoke the old MIDI mute bug from my other comp...

Edited by MoscowModder, 30 August 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#35 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

you can play midis fine in Windows Media Player if you have bassmidi enabled as your default MIDI device. Also for some reason, BassMIDI isn't tied to the SWsynth slider, so adjusting volume for it is near impossible on XP and earlier Operating Systems. However in Vista and 7 it might be a possibility.

#36 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Gamefront link for the "really nice" sound font is dead. What's it based on if anything and where to get it?

How do you get the soundfont from sflib10c.zip? It contains an old exe file that doesn't work under 64bit windows D:

Edited by franpa, 25 September 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#37 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Sep 25 2011, 05:13 PM) View Post

How do you get the soundfont from sflib10c.zip? It contains an old exe file that doesn't work under 64bit windows D:

Can you possibly provide a link to this?

#38 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

I found the soundfont from it, you had to install the exe file but I found someone who just had the soundfont and got it from them. http://heretics-hexe...oz.com/1mgm.sf2 (I believe the webhost has updated the link to this too since I last contacted them)

Also all links to github and mudlord etc. should be updated as the download link for the latest BASSMIDI driver is now here http://www.mudlord.info/crap/audio/ (v2.03 is expected soon which fixes volume bug)

Edited by franpa, 28 September 2011 - 06:24 AM.

#39 Warrior_of_Death

Warrior_of_Death

Majora ban evasion

• Banned

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

That link for the recommended soundfont in your original post is broken, alestance.

#40 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Norton Safe Search says that the site where BassMIDI can be found is unsafe (red circle with a white X in it next to the site's links.) Going into unsafe sites is VERY dangerous. I noticed that the link to the nice soundfont doesn't work. I have heard that Windows 7 64bit doesn't allow you to change the default midi synthesizer.

#41 Warrior_of_Death

Warrior_of_Death

Majora ban evasion

• Banned

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

http://dl.dropbox.co...g/SGM-V2.01.sf2 Here's a semi-permanent mirror for the soundfont. uncompressed .sf2 file, 241 MB

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V5YNBFRO Here's another semi-permanent (probably less permanent than the dropbox one) mirror (courtesy of Alestance) for the soundfont. Google for a program that deals with the file you end up downloading from here (it's also compressed here to 107 MB

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Nov 19 2011, 10:41 AM) View Post

Norton Safe Search says that the site where BassMIDI can be found is unsafe (red circle with a white X in it next to the site's links.) Going into unsafe sites is VERY dangerous. I noticed that the link to the nice soundfont doesn't work. I have heard that Windows 7 64bit doesn't allow you to change the default midi synthesizer.

http://dl.dropbox.co...mididrv2.02.exe

I ran this on my Win7 64 and it installed with no problems. I get to enjoy MIDIs that don't sound like crap. Also, BAD NOLORNBORN. uninstall Norton this instant. and get something better like Avast!, Microsoft Security Essentials, or if you can afford/"Afford" it something like ESET or Kapersky.

Edited by Warrior_of_Death, 08 December 2011 - 01:27 AM.

#42 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

I have a few questions. Sorry if they are obvious or have already been answered, I have never tried changing drivers before and I don't want to break my new Laptop.
1. On the download link on the OP, which file do I need to download?
2. How do I install it? The page that says how to install it is broken.
3. If the driver does not work or causes massive amounts of slowdown, how do I get my old MIDI driver back?
4. Does it need a more powerful laptop/computer than the default MIDI driver?
5. Do I need to install anything else before the driver will work?
6. Will Windows 7 cause the driver to break?

Thanks for any answers!

#43 Reese_Kaine

Reese_Kaine

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

What is the best place to get soundfonts?

#44 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks a ton for this great driver! It'll come in handy with ZC and other things too.

I came across an annoying problem with it though. Unfocusing ZC makes all the instrument tracks use the acoustic grand piano preset.

It seems the link to your soundfont you provided is no longer available. I am curious which soundfont you linked? Do you know the file name?

I use soundfonts to make music, and I came across a great free one a long time ago. It's like 140MB, but when dealing with a sound library with good quality, that's to be expected.
If anyone wants it, feel free to check it out, I recommend it for sure.
It's called FluidR3_GM.sf2

This link I provided should work:
http://www.musescore...oundfont.tar.gz

Edited by Lemmy Koopa, 01 August 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#45 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I tried installing that soundfont, and nothing changed. I then realized that BASSMidi's default driver synth option list only had "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth". Why is BASSMidi's driver not appearing there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users