• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

It's the return of the revenge of this years old contest again!

*ahem* Welcome to the first (and hopefully not last!) Screenshot: Challenge Reborn! This contest is a rebirth of the old Screenshot: Challenge Accepted (which is funny because S:CA used to be known as Screen Rebirth). Would that make it like a phoenix? Do we even have a phoenix? I'll have to go find one...

Anyways, lack of phoenix aside, this contest is like Screenshot of the Week, where you submit a Screenshot to the contest, and after the deadline passes people vote on which one they like the most. However, unlike SotW, you have to make a Screenshot using the current challenge as a guideline (or conveniently have an existing screenshot that fits the contest theme  ;)). If this first contest is successful enough to warrant a second, I'm going to try and branch out from the original S:CA and make this reborn one more interesting. For this first one, however, I think we'll start off simple and familiar. But before we begin: the rules!
Rules
Now, with that out of the way, let's get right to our first challenge!

Challenge #1
  • With the rebirth of an old contest in a different form comes a rebirth of an old legend in a different form! Your screen should have a non-hylian/non-human character as the player character!
  • We're breathing new life into this contest, and thus you should breathe life into your screens! Your screen should look lively and alive! 
If you want to enter, send me your entry via either Private Message here on PureZC, or shoot me a PM with your entry over on Discord! The deadline is 11:59 PM Friday, February 2nd, so be sure to have your screenshot in by then! And last, but certainly not least, have fun! That's what these contests are about at their core!

Spoiler

• Anthus and TheLegend_njf like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Glad to see this contest rise from the ashes. I'll try to get something together. I'm assuming we can use any set for this one?

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Glad to see this contest rise from the ashes. I'll try to get something together. I'm assuming we can use any set for this one?

Yes. I was contemplating banning certain overused/complex tilesets like DoR and PTUX as a third challenge, but I decided that would be too limiting for the first contest what with the current themes. I do plan on using a challenge for that at some point though.

Edited by Dimentio, 27 January 2018 - 04:28 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Would that make it like a phoenix? Do we even have a phoenix? I'll have to go find one...

You could require all shots to use the Phoenix tileset.

Also:

Please try keep image sizes under 350 pixels.

I would sincerely hope you mean 350 pixels vertically.

Which would be 352 pixels in ZC scale (or 336 if you allow the missing 8 pixels on the bottom), and 512 wide.

Which I would highly suggest, since these little 256x168 base ZC output shots look like thumbnails on most modern displays.

In fact I'd just as soon make it a standard that shots are displayed 2x, whether done by person submitting or contest host.

Regardless, nice to see this back, and I think I may have something rather unique to submit. This contest coincidentally happened to start a few days after I began an experimental set based on a relatively obscure game whose tile palettes happen to perfectly fit the ZC CSet standards.

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

I would sincerely hope you mean 350 pixels vertically.

Which would be 352 pixels in ZC scale (or 336 if you allow the missing 8 pixels on the bottom), and 512 wide.

Which I would highly suggest, since these little 256x168 base ZC output shots look like thumbnails on most modern displays.

In fact I'd just as soon make it a standard that shots are displayed 2x, whether done by person submitting or contest host.

I updated the rules. You forgot to account for the subscreen in your calculations, btw.

It's generally a nice standard to have larger images, but I'm not going to enforce it too hard.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

I think all the images should be posted as the same size, if that makes sense.

You could require all shots to use the Phoenix tileset.

Also, this.

• Lüt likes this

#7 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

I think all the images should be posted as the same size, if that makes sense.

Oh, no, that's what I meant. However, I can't do anything about stuff like gifs, and if the person requests their SS to be kept at the original size then I'll do that. I will  resize them otherwise to fit.

• Anthus likes this

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

I knew Dimentio secretly promoted mockups!

I already addressed most of my concerns about the potential future for this contest in Discord, but the optimistic side of me hopes things work out. I wish you the best of luck with this contest and I'll try to enter occasionally. I'd say do not ban any tilesets unless it's part of a unique challenge and image size consistency matters for presentation value!

• Anthus, Russ and Deedee like this

#9 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Thank you! I really hope this goes well too.

Edited by Dimentio, 27 January 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

I happened to have misread. Oh well, my suggestion still stands I guess. :P

#11 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Yeah. The biggest thing that would deter me from joining is that I would have to make assets to fit the criteria this time around. But I will still do it if I have the time.

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 27 January 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#12 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

You forgot to account for the subscreen in your calculations, btw.

Oh yeah I usually cut that out since it has nothing to do with the screen design.

It's also what you'd get from a ZQuest shot. Properly cropped, that is.

Anyway, setup looks good.

#13 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

The deadline for this is in 3 days! If you plan on entering, please enter soon, as we're going live at 11:59 PM EST, February 2nd! There won't be any extensions, so hurry in while you can! You can reach me via site PM, or you can PM me on the Official Pure Discord server (name is "Dimentio Finish 4 Fiends").

Edited by Dimentio, 31 January 2018 - 01:28 AM.

#14 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

All entries are due in 10 hours. There are some people who've expressed interest in joining who have not yet submit, so this is your last warning to submit! 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time is the due date for this, and we have enough entries to go live, so any entries sent after Midnight tonight EST will not be accepted! (I might be a bit lenient by 5 or so minutes, but please try to get yours in before the due time!)

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

I would enter, but honestly, I'm having trouble with the "non-human/ non-Hylian NPC" part :(

I don't want to just stick a Moblin, or Darknut in there, and call it done, but I don't want to make a new character either. 

• Avaro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users