Photo

Screenshot of the Week 369

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 369 (58 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Wow, PrinceMC. Eveything is just so beautiful. The water and waterfall remind me of Animal Crossing. icon_smile.gif

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Prince, the black looks too sharp to me. I'd throw in a good heap of brown and grey into that black to make it a lot more pastellish. Other than that I love it. Got my vote of course icon_smile.gif I love how you enhanced on the BS tiles/style.
Edit: Your water tiles are always incredibly nice. The AI water was great already but this here takes things to a whole new level. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Yoshimi, 04 June 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Pinkie Pie @ Jun 4 2012, 02:15 AM) View Post

PrinceMSC
IPB Image
"Are you curious?"

Looks like someone's finally breaking out of DoR and making their own, albeit mixing graphics. I smell a new overused tileset coming to PureZC eventually icon_wink.gif. But seriously, I suggest going full custom, because style mixing usually leads to perspective and/or style clashing, and that is starting to look too awesome to have any of that going on.

PrinceMSC: Mountains are a bit straight, but otherwise, very excellent. Seems like you've learned the awesome use of non-pure-black outlines against certain parts of tiles, thus making them flow better. Are you using 256 colors on tiles? If so, I recommend continuing treading down that path and showing everyone here that it's not a curse, but infact, a tileset buffer.

Norlonbon: The perspective there is VERY confusing. I can see what you're trying to do, as I'm also doing a top-down platformer perspective in my own game, but seriously, something needs to be done here. First and foremost, the background needs to either fit the tileset or be removed completely, because it totally overshadows everything else which is never a good thing. But keep going and making it work, I can see you're making some progress.

Ventus: DEM MOUNTAINS! Kidding in a way, but really, they're a tad too straight. Try making them buldge out a bit in places and you've got it!

Shane: It's extremely empty. Nice use of the tiles you did use, but that whole bottom is just void. It doesn't even need villagers like your caption suggests, but rather something to fill the space...crates, barrels, pots, bushes, tallgrass, etc. SOMETHING. But overall it's okay.

Everyone else: Nothing to say specifically, they're decent screenshots.

#19 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

icon_smile.gif

The creator of Revenge quest is back . and of course i voted for PrinceMSC. Really love that screen
i hope i see a quest with that screen design icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

#20 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Jumping on the bandwagon and voting for PrinceMSC. Stunning work. icon_smile.gif

#21 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

PrinceMSC - I like those mountains. A lot. In fact it's a very lovely shot in general and I like what I see; I definitely notice the TMC style but this is definitely much better than TMC. My vote went here.

Nolornbon - The perspective is all over the place in this shot. The background, the little pillars to the right of center... it really messes with everything and it's hard to tell what's going on. icon_unsettled.gif

Jared - I feel like it might have too many trees in the underbrush, other than that, looks good.

Ventus - It's got a nice simplistic look to it, but it also kind of feels empty. Needs something else in it...

Keiichi123 - Classic DoR style. I like it. Used well, looks nice, good use of shadow.

Shane - I feel like the grass detail could be more evenly spaced so it looks a little less empty in spots, but other than that, nice shot.

#22 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Jun 4 2012, 02:28 AM) View Post

Jared: Nice shot. No complaints.
Thank you, Hergiswi. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Shane @ Jun 4 2012, 02:30 AM) View Post

I can easily tell PrinceMSC has got this in a bag. But as much as I love his if I didn't enter I would have either voted for Keiichi123 or Jared as they both made very well designed screens.
Thank you, Shane. ;D

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 4 2012, 02:48 AM) View Post

Jared: Very well designed screen. Nothing else to say.
Thank you for your kind words, Shane!

QUOTE(Fausch @ Jun 4 2012, 08:38 AM) View Post

Jared and Shane, I'm assuming these shots are part of the same deal. Nice work, not a whole lot else I can say.
It may not seem like it, but these are two different projects. Thank you, by the way Fausch.

QUOTE(Marco @ Jun 4 2012, 09:53 AM) View Post

Jared: This screen is decent, but not the best. The southwest area is enhanced and has that wonderful modernized LttP look. Though, the northeast are is too bland and simple. They do not necessarily blend, but the bottom left is more loud. If the grass had more detail and or patterns in the top right it would work well. Otherwise, the flow is just alright, a little too crammed. Also, that flower. No. 6/10
Thank you for your critique. There's nothing I can do right now about the top left, simply because of the tiles that were used. The top right is supposed to be crammed, and that flower has a reason. I honestly thinks it looks okay. But I'll see if I can fix it up. You'll see what's going on in that screen soon. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Rambly @ Jun 4 2012, 12:05 PM) View Post

Jared: It's interesting. The idea of using basic shapes for patterns like that is neat. The screen design is kind of cramped and a little bit messy, though. I feel like it could benefit a lot from giving Link a little bit more walking space and breathing room.
Thank you, Rambly! I'll see what I can do about the walking space. It might be the big tree. I'm not sure.

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jun 4 2012, 03:41 PM) View Post

Jared - I feel like it might have too many trees in the underbrush, other than that, looks good.
Thanks, TS. I actually thought that a bit, myself. I'll remove one, I guess.

#23 MasterPlayer2342

MasterPlayer2342

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

PrinceMSC I like how Link gazes into the ocean wondering what is coming up in h is adventure.

#24 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

*Votes for PrinceMSC*
*Sees poll results*
youhavegottabekiddingme.jpeg
In all seriousness, despite how much I wanted to vote against Prince out of jealousy, it still was the best shot and I wasn't going let the jealousy beat me to the punch. Seriously, that is a darn good shot you have there.
If he didn't enter, Keichii would have had my vote.

#25 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Prince, the only thing that bothers me about the shot is the cave entrance. Its clear that you took it from the cave interior tiles, and it looks like it uses a slightly different perspective. Almost like its leaning a little more to the south than the mountains. You still got my vote, but I'm just sayin.

#26 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

IPB Image

Hey, PrinceMSC. You know, when I first clicked this topic and noticed your nickname i really believed someone revived an older topic or something. Its nice to see a former member with a tremendous amount of talent make a visit along with a visually pleasing screenshot. You easily won my vote here. I hope to be seeing some more of your work, it always give a very professional vibe. icon_thumbsup.gif

Edited by /M/, 04 June 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#27 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Vote goes to PrinceMSC, not just for the graphics but also for the layout that's pleasing to the eye. Others should learn to not try adding so much detail into one single shot in order to make it beautiful...

Although, from one graphics designer to another, there seems to be a perspective problem with the stone. It's a bit flat compared to the entrance that's on it, and the transition at the top doesn't compliment the transition at the bottom. Perhaps you could try inverting their styles?

#28 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Here’s the deal, there is no point in fixing minor details if the end result doesn’t get you anywhere. I’m more focused on completing the set, rather than polishing the set. And there is a huge difference between the two. But you guys are right, regarding the perspective on the door. And you may be pleased to know that it has been fixed. So, in the future, you may continue to see tiles that need a little more attention. Just know this; I probably won’t do anything about it at the current time.

QUOTE(Koh @ Jun 4 2012, 02:22 PM) View Post
Seems like you've learned the awesome use of non-pure-black outlines against certain parts of tiles, thus making them flow better. Are you using 256 colors on tiles?

Yeah, I’m not big on black outlines. I believe those are best used in coloring books. And yes, I am using 256 colors on these tiles. It’s the only way to go.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#29 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(PrinceMSC @ Jun 5 2012, 11:08 AM) View Post

Here’s the deal, there is no point in fixing minor details if the end result doesn’t get you anywhere. I’m more focused on completing the set, rather than polishing the set. And there is a huge difference between the two. But you guys are right, regarding the perspective on the door. And you may be pleased to know that it has been fixed. So, in the future, you may continue to see tiles that need a little more attention. Just know this; I probably won’t do anything about it at the current time.

Yeah, I’m not big on black outlines. I believe those are best used in coloring books. And yes, I am using 256 colors on these tiles. It’s the only way to go.

I take it that you use really dark colors rather than black for your outlines. Dark colors that match the tiles. I tried doing that with tiles I made once, but the results were not pretty. By the way, would the background in my screen match your tiles if it was colored similarly? My background is such a novel idea, and I would hate to see it die. I would like to get your take on this, considering the fact that you are one of the elites of Zelda Classic.

#30 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Jun 5 2012, 11:56 AM) View Post

... I would like to get your take on this...
Okay, so the main problem is that the background is too distracting, verses your foreground that lacks detail. Observe an object up close, and you will notice the detail. Look at it from a far, and the detail is gone. So, what I’m trying to say is; the foreground should have more detail than the background. And the foreground should have a darker color to it too. You my friend, have a screenshot that is the very opposite.

Now I’m aware that you really like your background, and if you really want it to work, you are going to have to do one of two things. Stretch your background to fit in a 4-by-4 screens, maybe more, anything to reduce the detail. Or, get some really good tiles for your foreground. They need to be so good, one doesn’t even notice the background. But I’m sure that would then defeat your purpose.

Now answer my question; Do you like what you’ve done? If yes, then nothing else matters. Everything that anyone has said you should ignore. However, if you have mixed feelings, you should either keep working at it to the point where you do like it, or move on to another project you can appreciate.

Edited by PrinceMSC, 05 June 2012 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users