Photo

Silhouette of Panic - First Demo!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

That's right, the first demo has now been released! And joining us today to kick off this announcement with a bang, special guest, Hugh Jackman!

IPB Image

... But yes, this demo contains:
  • Crackers
  • Hummus
  • Doritos
  • Bacon
Oh wait, that's my shopping list. Here's what the demo contains:
  • A quick walk through the graveyard.
  • A placeholder cave because we were lazy and wanted to get this demo out.
  • The first level of the game, which doubles as an introductory level of sorts.
  • Custom scripts and boss fights.
  • Bacon.
... Not sure how that last one got in there, but, sorry to disappoint, there is no bacon in this demo. icon_cry.gif

And now, without further ado, the demo!

DOWNLOAD IT HERE, YOU N00BS.

... Sorry for yelling. icon_sorry.gif

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

!~~ah~~ha~~!

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

I feel like I'm supposed to have a sword at this point. I can flick the first switch with the boomerang, and the water levels rise a bit, and then that's it. That's all I can do.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Nope, no sword yet... icon_wink.gif

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

!~~ah~~ha~~!

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Well now I just feel dumb. All I can do is kill three keese and walk on everything I can find. I have a boomerang, and my wits, and the boomerang is thus far proving to be more useful.

I mean am I supposed to be able to walk down this vine one screen to the north of where you arrive in L-1? The other vines are walkable, when leading to walkable places. This one isn't, when leading to dry land near the dam.

EDIT: Clever. Tricky, and clever.

I hate you.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hey, maybe that boomerang could be used to trigger certain things... not just switches...

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

!~~ah~~ha~~!

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I had this really weird glitch after lowering the water for the final time after the three-arrow puzzle. Link's sprite would appear two tiles to the right of where he actually was, from then on for the rest of the demo. Very bizarre.

But yes, very lovely demo, and great concepts. I wonder what would happen if those statues shot magic or something instead of spears. I feel like that end-boss could deflect those spears easily, being of the same general material as the wooden slivery sword he claims to be laughing at.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jul 3 2012, 02:27 PM)  

I had this really weird glitch after lowering the water for the final time after the three-arrow puzzle. Link's sprite would appear two tiles to the right of where he actually was, from then on for the rest of the demo. Very bizarre.

icon_eek.gif That's... bizarre. I've never had that happen. Might have to look into that.

But yes, very lovely demo, and great concepts.

Why thank you.

I wonder what would happen if those statues shot magic or something instead of spears. I feel like that end-boss could deflect those spears easily, being of the same general material as the wooden slivery sword he claims to be laughing at.

Hrm... I didn't think about making them magic. Arrorw/spear traps just seemed more fitting for an old shrine in the woods. The boss could be explained by saying if you tried to hit him with the sword, he's obviously know you were going to attack (like Ghirahim in SS), but the arrows/spears caught him by surprise. Or something.

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

I played through the whole thing. And guys, that was amazing! The temple was a little short, but it was planned out very well! The switch thing was genius! At first I thought it was an Armos, because I pushed up to (And hit the boomerang I'm guessing) then died. icon_razz.gif

Can't wait for more!

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks! Yeah, the level came out a bit shorter than I was hoping for, but it's just the intro level, so I can guarantee the rest will be much bigger. And your story with the "Armos" made me laugh quite a bit. icon_razz.gif

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Would I be wrong in assuming this demo was somewhat rushed? I really liked it, but some of the stuff felt...meh. The dungeon entrance on the overworld for example, looked really derpy. There were also a few bugs in the design and scripts. On some of the screens where water floods the room, you could walk off the edge of the screen during the cutscene. The arrow statues were also somewhat buggy as they'd shoot when arrows crossed the tile adjacent to them. Might wanna tune down the sensitivity a little bit. Other than that, I really liked the dungeon design and creative puzzles you incorporated into the dungeon and boss battles. I kinda wish they weren't basically both the same thing but with the second boss shooting fireballs, though. 4/5, nice solid demo.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Jul 3 2012, 03:03 PM)  

Would I be wrong in assuming this demo was somewhat rushed?

It actually wasn't too rushed, aside from the placeholder cave and music. Hrm...

The dungeon entrance on the overworld for example, looked really derpy.

Blame TS for that, he drew that... five years ago. It probably should be updated...

On some of the screens where water floods the room, you could walk off the edge of the screen during the cutscene.

icon_doh.gif I can't believe I did that. Gah. At least it's an easy fix...

The arrow statues were also somewhat buggy as they'd shoot when arrows crossed the tile adjacent to them. Might wanna tune down the sensitivity a little bit.

Hrm... once again, easy fix, at least.

Other than that, I really liked the dungeon design and creative puzzles you incorporated into the dungeon and boss battles.

Thanks! Blame yourself for those; it was your review that said I should try to apply some scripting to the dungeon puzzles that led to that. icon_razz.gif

I kinda wish they weren't basically both the same thing but with the second boss shooting fireballs, though.

Well, the boss was originally completely different... but it sucked. It really sucked. So we scrapped it and replaced it with the current one. I guess we might be able to change him up a bit...

4/5, nice solid demo.

Thanks!

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Stop stealing all the replies. >:(

Anyways.
QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jul 3 2012, 05:27 PM)  
Never had that happen to me either. O_o
QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 3 2012, 05:39 PM)  
I played through the whole thing. And guys, that was amazing! The temple was a little short, but it was planned out very well! The switch thing was genius! At first I thought it was an Armos, because I pushed up to (And hit the boomerang I'm guessing) then died. icon_razz.gif
Yeah, what Russ said, it's mostly an introductory level even if it's an important level...
QUOTE(Moosh @ Jul 3 2012, 06:03 PM)  
Would I be wrong in assuming this demo was somewhat rushed?
Just a tad rushed, yeah.
The arrow statues were also somewhat buggy as they'd shoot when arrows crossed the tile adjacent to them. Might wanna tune down the sensitivity a little bit.
QUOTE(Russ @ Jul 3 2012, 06:16 PM)  
Hrm... once again, easy fix, at least.
Oh sure, don't listen to me when I say the sensitivity's too high. icon_glare.gif
I kinda wish they weren't basically both the same thing but with the second boss shooting fireballs, though.
What he said, the original fight was just bad, at least for so early on. Don't worry, I've been putting my foot down; you'll be getting no stupidly and unnecessarily difficult bosses in this quest as long as I can help it. icon_razz.gif
QUOTE(Russ @ Jul 3 2012, 06:16 PM)  
Blame TS for that, he drew that... five years ago. It probably should be updated...
No. Don't blame me. The pedestal looks fine. It was Russ who decided to just carve out the middle and put the stairs in. icon_blah.gif

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. We collaborated on the ideas, though the design was split between us. Russ took care of the dungeon, the graveyard was designed by myself (though Russ did the ground detail and stuff since I can't do that well in DoR to save my life yet). And I wrote all of the strings except the intro text, the placeholder cave text, the ? item text, and the end demo text. Oh, and speaking of the graveyard, here it is again, in a past form...

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Nice. I liked the ambiance (following a character has been done before but I always love it - that's odd, I know).
The temple with plants was very well designed visually, just the right amount of vegetation. Like others I got
stuck after raising the water the first time icon_redface.gif but I played through to the end, where you get the item
with all the censored profanity. I'm gonna have to go back through again, because I didn't 100% it - I found
the doritos and bacon, but somehow missed the hummus.

Edited by Cukeman, 04 July 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#14 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

I've shared my thoughts with this demo on IRC.

All in all, I can't wait for the finished product! Well done guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users