#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

Russ humbly presents
Somewhere in Between

General Info

This quest arose from my need to take a break. A break from working on The Darkness Within. A break from using DoR. A break from planning everything out concretely. I glanced at a few screens I'd make for the various screenshot challenges, started forming a story, and soon, a new quest was born. I've been working on it in secret for the past two months, and now it's ready for release.
  • Put together in the PTUX tileset
  • An soundtrack made entirely of original midis
  • Two overworld areas and two dungeons, which can be done in any order
  • There are no items other than the sword; however, over the course of the game, you power it up with the ability to shoot beams, fire, and ice
  • Said sword upgrades can manipulate the environement
  • A new green and blue heart halves system replaces the old heart piece system and encourages exploration of both areas
  • Fully scripted bosses
  • And more!
Story

A young man finds himself trapped in a strange new place and must find his way back home. Starts out nice and simple, and gradually builds up to something a little less simple.

Screenshots

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Credits

Music: All the creators of the songs in the Original Midi Pack, and Alestance for compiling them all into one easy package.
Graphics: Mr. Z for PTUX, Peteo and DFW for the Lost Isle Set, and Prospekt for his edited sprites, which I edited some more.
Scripting: Schwa and SpacemanDan for support and help, Blackbiship and Joe123 for downloaded scripts.
Inspiration: Pokemonmaster64, who encouraged me (both knowingly and unknowingly) to be a bit more script-heavy.
Support and criticism: TS, SC, Schwa, and William, who all gave me support, as well as critique on various things.
Post-release bugfinders: Octorockoncrack

Download Link

http://www.mediafire...jnkbxquau61afmi

Last updated August 2nd, 2012

#2 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Woah. Can't say I saw that coming. But I guess if I did, it wouldn't have been a secret. icon_razz.gif

Looks and sounds interesting. I'll definitely give this a whirl! icon_biggrin.gif

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Having played through this quest, I can say it was, despite how short it was, a pretty unique experience. The dungeons are pretty clever, as is the scattering of overworld secrets. There are a few sections of slight difficulty, but they're pretty easily overcome. The plot isn't the best, but ZC isn't exactly known for Pulitzer Prize material. Either way, nicely done, bro. icon_smile.gif

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Played the game a bit, seemed pretty neat. Then I used a certain sword ability on water and ZOMGTHATWASAMAZINGDOITAGAIN! And believe it or not, Link did it again! This is awesome! icon_lol.gif

A couple glitches though. One cave in silent hills has both exits lead to the same screen and the ice dungeon doorways have some solidity issues (one side of the doorway is fully unsolid and the other is half).

Edit: Yay I beat the game! I really enjoyed it, clever twist on the end there, and OH MY GOODNESS THAT FINAL BOSS! THAT FINAL BOSS! (there's a glitch or two where you forgot a cancel warp, but otherwise, pure win) Let it never be forgotten that Russ knows how to make a freaking awesome final boss. He almost had me there in his final form! icon_biggrin.gif

Now I'm kinda both happy and sad that you didn't get me in on this project. I'm sad because I didn't get to be even a small part of making this (even if it is just writing scripts), yet I'm happy that I got the pleasant surprise of suddenly getting a new Russ quest out of the blue.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 31 January 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Whoops... Can't believe I didn't catch that one. It's apparently a bug in the editor; if I set tile warp A to use warp return point A, and then side warp A to use return B, ZC automatically switches the tile warp to use return B.

Download link is updated, both bugs fixed. Sorry about that... but glad to hear you like it!

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Don't you want to thank Prospekt for the character sprites too?

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Dangit, I knew I was forgetting somebody... Sorry Prospekt, you're added.

#8 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

I haven't played too far yet but I'm really enjoying the quest so far. Well done. icon_thumbsup.gif

#9 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

As I told you earlier, I have this downloaded, and it looks great! Can't wait to play it!!

#10 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

too high for the grocery store

• Members

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

If I may point out... please edit those Link sprites the way they were originally intended. It's a bit disturbing looking at a character whose face, arms, and legs are all the same color if it's meant to look like he has pants and sleeves. Looks like he's a partial nudist.

#11 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Oh lordy this is fun. I'm about half an hour in. Pretty damn good so far.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hmm...all this positive responses! I gotta go try!

#13 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Why so many fireballs? icon_freak.gif

I just ran through this quest a second time last night. I thought you did an amazing job with this, Russ! All those music choices are marvelous, and the new heart peices were really neat as well. Just had one question...

Spoiler

I think I'm going to try a no-death run now...

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(Octorockoncrack @ Feb 2 2012, 06:58 PM)  

Spoiler

Yes! I've been waiting for somebody to pick up on that. Congrats on being the first to notice! And thanks for the positive feedback!

#15 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Just found the last of the heart peices. Beat the game with 0 deaths and 12 hearts in a little more than an hour icon_razz.gif

But I wanted to show you -- I came across a couple places with walkability issues.

Spoiler

Edited by Octorockoncrack, 03 February 2012 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users