Photo

Screenshot of the Week 68

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick your favorite screenshot. (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick your favorite screenshot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 October 2004 - 06:03 PM

The sand in my shot is on the normal level of ground, and is a thin layer of it. The darker walls are below the normal level going into the abyss.

#17 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:21 PM

Just some info for those of you who were wondering.

Yes, the giant toad is ripped from Mystic Quest, but it only had two still frames originally. I animated it heavily, including a full tongue animation. It also "croaks," and blinks, and recoils when hit.

Yes, credit for the little frogs goes to Mr. Z and the Lufia game he ripped it from, but I animated them to jump out of holes that appear in the ground, then jump back in again and disappear. Mr. Z had them set as tektites, but that didn't work at all well for a boss, so the little frogs are now actually custom enemies. icon_smile.gif I'd really like to see what you think of them in action.

The octorok is sticking its head out of the water and spitting fire at you, because it's technically the "Zora" enemy. However, in OoT Hyrule Zoras are friendly, and I wanted to keep it consistent. I couldn't change the fireballs to rocks, so instead I introduced "Pyroctos." icon_smile.gif

Lastly, this shot is the boss room of Deluge Temple. It isn't a sewer, but I can see why you thought it might be, as the entire place is flooded and dripping.

Edited by Radien, 24 October 2004 - 07:23 PM.

#18 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:24 PM

what killed Vargen's shot for me was that waterfall. And the massive background looks extremely pixelated. I'll go for Masterlink3000, even though I know it won't make a damn difference.

#19 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:24 PM

Guess what, I voted for Radien. I liked th eshot, because it has an uber big froggie. Cool. I liked all the shots though. Great work people. I will make comments later if people aren't chatting.

#20 DragonAtma

DragonAtma

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:26 PM

I voted for Radien. The vote would've been for Vargen, except that his shot was previously a jpg, and jpg loss ruins the picture. icon_cry.gif

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 October 2004 - 12:51 AM

In this case, believe it or not, I'm actually wondering if JPG compression is aiding Vargen's picture. Yes, it pixellates parts, but the sunset sky is so smooth that I'm wondering if there's some blurring in effect.

The sky still looks great, but I'd like to see it in the quest itself.

As for the whole shot... it's not doing anything terribly exciting besides the sky, but I do like that it uses some of the less-commonly used database tiles (mainly the mountains). I'm guessing it's from Descendant.

Wow, we're still neck and neck... It seems lots of people voted for Vargen without posting, because I thought I was probably a few votes ahead after only reading the thread.

#22 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 25 2004, 01:51 AM)
Wow, we're still neck and neck... It seems lots of people voted for Vargen without posting, because I thought I was probably a few votes ahead after only reading the thread.

*raises hand* icon_heh.gif

Yeah, I voted for Vargen. I was too stunned by the sky to look at anything else on the screen at all, so naturally I voted for him. Yeah, that was pretty stupid of me. icon_sweat.gif

Poly would've definitely been second. icon_smile.gif

#23 Vargen

Vargen

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:52 AM

I think the jpg compression is making my picture better than the original. But I´m innocent icon_biggrin.gif the original is a bmp. The pic is from my new quest, who can be downloaded on my page:My Webpage

#24 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:12 AM

I like the original one Vargen, but that's me. icon_shrug.gif

I knew I was going to do bad this week just because, but damn, not this bad. This SotW has like two Princes... killing everybody by several votes.

I think a new topic is in order... "Who will win? Radien or Vargen?" j/k

But imo, Radien's is truly the best here. Awesome frogs, bad-ass dungeons walls, definitely some nice custom work here.

#25 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:12 PM

.BMP will always be distorted if you email or upload them on the Internet. To get around this you need to zip your .BMP screenshots and then email it or upload it as a zip file. Once I get it, nothing will be distorted and I can easily make it into a picture perfect .GIF. icon_wink.gif

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#26 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:20 AM

That's not entirely true. My bmp's always show up normal, even when I upload them:

http://img.photobuck...ortraitPURE.bmp

See, nothing distorted about those. It depends on what you use to save them, but mine have never been distorted icon_shrug.gif

#27 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:08 AM

... OMG. Has NOBODY heard of IRFanview? icon_odd2.gif .. It's the best program I've ever seen to alter images quickly and efficiently. Do yourselves a favor and download this cheap and easy program. (By Cheap, I mean free. icon_wink.gif icon_biggrin.gif ) It'll make your lives a WHOLE lot easier.

It can do the following, and more.
  • Convert any standard image to any other standard image, quickly and efficiently.
  • It can resize images with no problems, including a "half" and "double" feature. You can also turn on or off "proportions" which resizes both the X and the Y at the same time in the same respect. VERY nice feature. icon_thumbsup.gif
  • It can dispose of your Mother in Law for you without any of the mess.
  • It can swap Red, Blue, and Green colors. I've turned that purple Demon Avatar of mine flesh colored, green, red, etc.
  • Effects, such as sharpen, blur, button, etc.
... Oh god.. stop wasting time reading this, and get this program! O_O It'll make everyone's lives much easier! You shouldn't make others convert files for you when you can do it yourself. icon_wink.gif

#28 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:23 PM

user posted image
icon_smile.gif

Do you work for the guys at IRFV? icon_razz.gif

EDIT:...uh..yeah, Rad's shot rocks.

Edited by IaN, 26 October 2004 - 12:23 PM.

#29 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:39 PM

I don't get what's so great about Vargen's. It's just a rather blandish screen set against some cloudish background. Anyone can do that.

#30 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:11 PM

IaN that .bmp screenshot is still distorted to me. icon_shrug.gif

And I have adobe 7.0. So there is no need for any other program. icon_cool.gif

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users