Photo

Screenshot of the Week 152

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 152 (75 member(s) have cast votes)

3 shots to choose from!!!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Zemious @ Jan 16 2007, 12:45 PM) View Post

Animus1, not a big effect of the BS tileset.

That's the New1st tileset. icon_dead.gif

#17 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

Revfan9 - Nice tiles, and nice graphics, but it could use more detail to spice it up. Perhaps you could add another table and/or add some stuff behind the counter. You could also put more on the counter.

Animus01 - A functional sidescrolling screen which I believe I have played through myself. As complete as it is, there is nothing totally impressive about the shot, considering what you are up against below.

DarkFlameWolf - A fantastic shot of lava flowing down a mountain! There is nothing cookie cutter about the design of this screen, and the detail is great down to every nook and cranny. It is screens like these that give pure a good name. Also, those are some of the best looking falling rocks I have seen. My vote goes here.

#18 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

Revfan: Just like last week, Graphics are good but design is not there. There is a sense of nothing going on.

Aim: I like the screen. The backgound could use a little something though. I don't like the pallete though. I also like the ice floors, although I think the csiling ones need work, as the ceiling wouldn't be that repetitive.

DarkFlameWolf: While is doesn't jump out at you, the design is the best here. *Votes*

#19 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Revfan9: YOU SUCK. DIE. I probably would have put a rug or something in the middle, but the game doesn't have rugs for that dungeon set. I would have put more people, but I was afraid of "OVERCROWDED. DIE." complaints.

Animus: Umm... Plain graphics+Plain design=Good quest shot=Terrible SotW shot.

DFW: You win. Congradulations. It's sad when SotW can be decided within a single day worth of votes.

*nulled*

#20 Aribar

Aribar

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

They all look like nice shots. Let's see...

Revfan9: I like the graphics. It is certainly different than those used in many of the quests I see while browsing the database. It could use a bit more detail to fill in the empty spaces, though. Maybe some barstools next to the counter and a rug or two?

Animus01: This is my favorite shot of the three I think. A neat underwater scene with (sword-wielding?) fish, peahats, and... A bit of repetitiveness in tiles now that I look at it. While that is a standard in the Zelda side-scrolling areas, I think that even having a second type of icicle hanging down from the cieling would help a lot. Maybe you put ice in between some of the bricks as well, but I'm not a hundred percent sure how that would look. Subscreen-wise, the only thing I have to comment on is that the sort looks a little... Short. I'd say either make the blade a little bigger or the crossguard's tips a little smaller.

DarkFlameWolf: Mount Horgrus certainly looks like a firey place! At first I thought the lava sort of looked like chocolate, but at a second glance I suppose it looks good. The mountainside and subscreen both look nice!

Okay, that seems like enough, ah, nitpicking and critiquing for one week!

#21 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Jan 16 2007, 03:49 PM) View Post

I probably would have put a rug or something in the middle, but the game doesn't have rugs for that dungeon set.

icon_odd2.gif

Yo, Rev, rip it from another game! Or make one yourself... The point is: enhance your tileset. Don't limit yourself to rips from a single game if it doesn't have the tiles you need.

#22 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Well, the point of the tileset is to strictly be a TotR set, and to be more of something to rip from.

#23 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Revfan9: Honestly, you are capable of ripping but from what we've seen, you can't design screens at all for the most part. Try starting with something easier.

Animus: Sorry but I simply hate newfirst for its horrible pallete issues and that the tiles in it are a bit shabby too. icon_shrug.gif

DFW: Like all of your overworld screens, these are fantastic. Awesome use of mountains and a pretty screen overall. Proof that Pure is extremely good if used properly.

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Jan 16 2007, 03:49 PM) View Post

Revfan9: YOU SUCK. DIE. I probably would have put a rug or something in the middle, but the game doesn't have rugs for that dungeon set. I would have put more people, but I was afraid of "OVERCROWDED. DIE." complaints.

Animus: Umm... Plain graphics+Plain design=Good quest shot=Terrible SotW shot.

DFW: You win. Congradulations. It's sad when SotW can be decided within a single day worth of votes.

*nulled*

Not to sound harsh but whining each and every time when you lose doesn't make you look any better but like a fool instead in my own opinion. Why not take the advice we show you and look at previous shots submitted? SoTW isn't all about the graphics but the design too.

#24 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

Deathbringer, I am perfectly capable of screen design, but I haven't exactly learned how to make screens look good with these new graphics I am ripping. My apologies that I am learning how to use these graphics as I go.

And my complaint is that SotW was decided within a single day, and not even that. DFW currently has 22 votes compared to my 7, and Animus's 2.

#25 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

I gave you my vote, Revfan9, since I know you've put alot of effort into this tileset. It isn't a simple task. Hope that cheers you up.

#26 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Well, frankly to say, I'm disappointed. Both Revfan and Animus have contributed better screenshots than these in the past. They've done better, they know that. Furthermore, it would have been interesting to have a awesome screenshot to contend against like something from Radien or Gashin/Relic. Then it would truly be fun to see how my screenshot would fare against awesome entries like that. But here, its really not fun watching my screenshot decimate everything within a couple hours. icon_frown.gif

#27 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

My point exactly, DFW. Losing in SotW isn't any fun unless it's a close race...

And thanks for the vote, /M/.

#28 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

Well, the entire point of the screenshot I sent in was basically because I can't stand hearing so many complaints about the NewFirst tileset. I wanted you guys to go ACK!! NEWFIRST!!! I'M GOING BLIND!!! I HATE IT, ALTHOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHY!!

Yes, it was a joke submission. I liked the other two submissions that I sent but I didn't quite enjoy them too much, because both were directly ripped from video games and adding little originality to them for an SotW submission and that "SotW" I had was only the first side-scrolling screen of Faxanadu, shortened to SC form with an overabundance of enemies.

One last thing. If you're going to complain about quests or screenshots made up of the Newfirst tileset, don't count off points because of that. It's more like destructive criticism than anything else and forces quest-makers who want to be original to have to conform to the overrated Pure tileset, not that I have any problem with those who use Pure, mind you.

#29 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

Newfirst...

The problem with Newfirst is how it is filled with incredibly bright colors against other bright colors....

In essence, it isn't to easy on the eyes. As well, there are many, many more tilesets out there other than Pure. Palette wise, I like the colors of the Descendant set.

#30 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

Besides Palette wise, the Descendant tileset contains many smooth colors.

DFW: Well, It seems every time somebody gets changed from SoTW position, popularity decreases. Now that Gashin back off, it seems we haven't had much stuff since. Or even worst, when PrinceMSC left. Guess people like the competition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users