Photo

Screenshot of the Week 147

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 147 (67 member(s) have cast votes)

8 entries this week!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Deathbringer @ Dec 4 2006, 03:34 PM) View Post
Revfan9: Very very strange screen. Why would there be water, grass trees and many trees in a Tundra? If I recall, A tundra is a very cold desert like area with barely any water, trees and let alone grass.

Look at the Minimap: It's right on the edge of the Tundra, A bit north from there is Snow Sanctum on the North Pole, which is filled with life. But yes, it is pretty bad...

#17 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:46 PM

No, I mean the trees. They look so similar, to the ones from ZFGC, used by Hero_Of_Fire, and various other members.

#18 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(/M/ @ Dec 4 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post

No, I mean the trees. They look so similar, to the ones from ZFGC, used by Hero_Of_Fire, and various other members.

QUOTE(Dart Zaidyer @ Dec 4 2006, 10:30 AM) View Post

Sharon Daniel's trees are actually rips from Four Swords Adventures. (!!!)

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Dec 4 2006, 10:44 AM) View Post

Yes, the tops are, and they're slightly edited. The tree trunks are my old edits of the original aLttP trees.

Edited by Deathbringer, 04 December 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#19 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Dec 4 2006, 09:11 AM) View Post

EatinCake: Is that a guitar he's got there? I love it, nice sense of atmosphere. Probably not the best composed screen, but I think the colours tie it together nicely *votes*

Yes, the Black 1-stringed guitar of Impending Doom™. Might shorten it later, but for now thats what it is... swords are to generic. Just kinda a random shot, which now that I look at it, I messed up on the walls top left corner. But yeah. Lupin Theives are definatly a force to be reckoned with.

Matt- Woah. Big House/Tree. The only real issue I have with this is that it seems very... thrown together. A bunch of random unrelated sprites are just standing there in no particlar order. Other than that I have no complaints by the Tileset your using.

Pimp- Two things bother me about this shot. 1) This is very easily on the borderline of nicely done, detailed sprites with a dull 2-tone backround. 2) There is nothing else in the shot! I guess youre goal was to showcase off the Goron sprite, and youve done that, but as for bieng the best shot, still needs a lot.

Blue- Hm. I cant really complain about anything. This would be one of those "meh" shots that arent good, or bad. Good job.

Sharon-Nice snow. Im curious what the shot looks like with the snow actually floating down. Overall, nice, but my big (and really only) problem with this is the water, which at first looks nice, but after looking for a good 10 seconds+ it seems a bit empty, and espically next to the detailed snow, seems to be begging for a couple more shades. The trees however are just plain sexy.

Mr.Z- Er. Classic. Ok. Youve got good arrangments, but the fact that theres nothing attractive in this shot turns it into a "meh" shot. Or would if you had taken it in a game instead of just cropping it from Zquest. This took you what, 7 minutes?

Moon- Yeah another snow shot. Hurray for winter. First thing I notice is that there shouldent be leaves on the ground, as all of those should be covered by the snow. If they were protruding out of the snow it would be one thing, but laying on top for mes a no-no. Other than that the shot seems to be lacking detail, although when I consider that there arent many snow doodads I guess I cant ***** about that. "Meh" Shot easily icon_smile.gif.

Rev- The arrangment of graphic is what kill this. The pallete is sweet, graphic work incrediably well together, but the setup is rather unappealing. Fix that and youd have a SoTW Shot easily.

Hoha! I reduced all of todays contestants to 4 letter words or less. µy life is complete.

Edited by EatinCake, 04 December 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#20 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

The screens are all pretty much the same this week.

I suppose Sharon is the winner since his trees are another thing I have proposed to.

#21 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(Dart Zaidyer @ Dec 4 2006, 10:30 AM) View Post

Sharon Daniel's trees are actually rips from Four Swords Adventures. (!!!)

I never played FSA, which is why I wouldn't have known. Thanks for pointing that out.

#22 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

I voted for Blue Link 2007 - although it may look a little boring when looking just at the walkable area itself, me thinks that'd look very fun... and a little hard as well. The background water area works well and is pretty cool, so uhh... yeah, that's just me. Critisism... well, I suppose that you could have made it less symmetrical, making it a little more difficult and also allowing more background water area to come in. Maybe some obstacles in the way too... which would come to both advantage and disadvantage.

I almost voted for EatinCake... but in terms of gameplay... it just didn't look as fun. Great layout though! I'd comment on the other shots, but right now, I really don't feel like it.

Uhh... Hero Link, I know for a fact that I sent you a shot for this week's. Did you not see it or accidentally dump it? Or did I do something wrong somehow - all I know is that I sent that shot correctly.
Fyi, I did it back on... Wednesday or Tuesday I believe... maybe Thursday.

There's some good stuff this week. Hope the competition gets less one-sided, because it seems Sharon Daniel is owning everyone with 8.

#23 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Dec 4 2006, 04:03 PM) View Post
Rev- The arrangment of graphic is what kill this. The pallete is sweet, graphic work incrediably well together, but the setup is rather unappealing. Fix that and youd have a SoTW Shot easily.

I suspected that. The problem with those small trees is that they look bad if you have more than 2 or three of them in one place... The shot also looks bad because I don't have many small ground objects in the LoP set yet... Thanks for the compliment on the palette, I personally don't think much of my Wintertime Night palette.

I know! I'll rip in a bunch of stuff, then make an autumn forest shot for the next SotW!

#24 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Dec 4 2006, 07:44 AM) View Post

Yes, the tops are, and they're slightly edited. The tree trunks are my old edits of the original aLttP trees.

My question now is, how the hell did you manage that? Is there a resource site around here or something?

#25 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

Well, there are many resource sites that you can get them. Such as ZFGC, which is what I just mention quite sometime already.

#26 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

We all want to know...

Unless he got it from the Spriter's Resource, but I never saw them there...

#27 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

I voted for Mr. Z because his shot is showing that a good, detailed shot can be done with minimalist limitations.

Matthew:
I have no real complaints other than the path and grass tiles may be a little too repetitive.

EatinCake:
It's s good shot, but I've never really liked that perspective.

Sir Pimpalot:
Hmm. Other than the Goron, the shot is pretty bland. Mix up the sand and mountains a bit.

BlueLink2007:
Is that one mole, or two facing each other, and slightly overlapping?

Sharon Daniel:
Are those trees from FSA's frozen Hyrule? I love the snow texture too. The gray tint is more realistic than the blue seen in other winter shots. Second place.

Moonwhisper:
This is a another nice winter shot... No real complaints.

Revfan9:
The colors are a bit confusing. Is that greenish stuff tall grass, or dirt? I thought it was water untill I saw Link and a Shyguy walking on it.

#28 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

Like always, I choose to vote and comment before looking at what others have to say.

Matthew - It looks very organized and well planned for the limitations of game boy tiles. I am not sure what else to say though.

EatinCake - It looks very well planned out and you certainly seem to fulfill your vision. I like the amount of detail present.

Sir Pimpalot - You did a very good job on Ingens, but the rest of the shot can easily have more pizazz to it.

Blue Link 2007 - Good job on Mr. Mole and for adding other details. However, the shape of the battle area and the waterfall exterior could certainly look more interesting. It just doesn't feel completely right to me. I wish I could explain it better.

Sharon Daniel - Fantastic usage of some fantastic tiles. It all seems to flow very well with each other. You got my vote.

Mr. Z - Clearly you did this to try to prove a point that classic tiles are worthy of a competition. While they probably are, I don't feel as if this makes it to #1 among the selections. It is certainly very good considering the limitations of classic tiles, so I give you a lot of credit for at least trying. I would certainly love to see more people up for such a challenge in the future.

Moonwhisper - Good effort and decent usage of tiles. I can't say that it is good enough to be the best, though.

Revfan9 - Not bad. Not bad at all. I love what you did with those tiles, but like many others, you had tough competition.

Applause goes to everybody who participated. Remember: Not winning is never a reason to quit. It is great just being part of the competition.

#29 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:04 PM

Like always, I choose to vote and comment before looking at what others have to say.

That's what I do. Then after reading replies, I feel dumb for saying things that have been said eight times already.

#30 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

That's what I do. Then after reading replies, I feel dumb for saying things that have been said eight times already.

XD
Well, it's better than allowing others to influence your opinion, I suppose.

I nulled, by the way.
(Sharon FTW!) icon_heh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users