• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

WHISTLE:
When I first played the original Legend of Zelda, I was in middle school. I didn't own an NES, in fact no one did, cause it was far beyond its time. What did have was an iPhone, and on that phone I had a good old GBA Emulator. My friends and I mostly used it to play the Pokemon games of our young childhood, Fire Red, Ruby, Gold. However, one game I found and loved was the GBA port of the Legend of Zelda for the NES. Playing during the time of the internet meant I had easy access to the game manual that would have come with the game had I bought it on the NES, this also meant I was easily able to learn about one item that always disappointed me: the Whistle.

The reason the Whistle upset me so much was because it always felt unfinished, like it was not fully implemented. Sure it was cool to dry one or two lakes and have a way to warp around the map, but once I read the game manual and heard of the stuff the whistle was supposed to do on top of all this, I felt upset. Specifically, the fact that the whistle had no affect on Pol's Voices really bugged me. Since that time, I have always thought that if I had the power to make a Zelda game, I would do right by the whistle, and give it the magic it deserves. That is what I hope to have accomplished here in this quest.

First and foremost, I have made sure that Pol's Voices can be beaten with the whistle like they should have been from the start. In fact, the inclusion of this was the main reason I decided to make this quest in 2.55. After that, I decided I would give the whistle more use outside of warping and lake drying. First of all, many larger and faster enemies that are not stunned by the boomerang can be slowed down or stopped by the whistle. Furthermore, the whistle in this quest has the entirely new ability to darken certain rooms. This ability allows for more complex light and darkness puzzles, as some clues and markings can only be seen in the dark.

EDIT:

As people as pointed out, middle school me was mistaken, and for that I apologize to the whistle. HOWEVER, I will still try to make this amazing little item even better, and the new abilities it will have in this quest are still coming :)

Edited by SparksTheUnicorn, 29 June 2020 - 12:21 AM.

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:38 AM

The reason the Whistle upset me so much was because it always felt unfinished, like it was not fully implemented. Sure it was cool to dry one or two lakes and have a way to warp around the map, but once I read the game manual and heard of the stuff the whistle was supposed to do on top of all this, I felt upset. Specifically, the fact that the whistle had no affect on Pol's Voices really bugged me.

The whistle was never meant to kill Pol's Voice, the allusions to Pol's Voice being weak to loud noises is a feature that got cut for the western release of the game. In the original FCD release of Zelda 1 you can talk or make noise into that systems microphone in order to kill them. The NES is similar in specs to the FC, but it notably does not have mic input on it. Hench, the feature got axed but the people who translated the manual probably didn't know.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 28 June 2020 - 11:39 AM.

• SparksTheUnicorn likes this

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

The whistle actually does four things:

- dry lakes

- reveal secrets

- warp you around the overworld

- shrivel Digdogger

So I'd say it was fully implemented and had many uses just like the manual promised.

• SparksTheUnicorn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users