ZCs existential problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:16 PM

There's been a lot talk lately about what to do now that Zoria is gone.  Migration, the "council" of elders, new developers and such.  But I would like everyone to consider that none of these will solve Zelda Classic's current existential problem.  And if this problem isn't solved, then all the work will be for nothing.  The dog's brain is likely to bark its head off at this one but I have to try:

1. There are a new generation of Zelda players.  The modern type A Zelda player wants their quest to resemble Link's Awakening, The Minish Cap, The Oracle of Seasons and the Oracle of Time.  They don't want their quest looking like NES Zelda - that was for the oldies.

2.  Scripting is 100% necessary to make modern type A Zelda quests.  There's no way around this one - if you want any new features you must script them.

3.  Most people can't script.  Most people are script illiterate and won't spend 6 months or so learning how to script.  If people find out that scripting is necessary to make their dream modern type A Zelda quest then they'll just quit or keep trying and keep cancelling like certain type A players here.

4.  To remedy point (3), requires modular scripting.  This involves pairing a complicated script with its own automated setup instructions so that a script illiterate user can simply run the modular script and have it do everything for them.

5.  Modular scripting is too expensive.  The cost of this is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Not only must you pay for the developer but you must also pay people who write modular scripts.  Who is going to pay for it?  Certainly not any type B player.

Zoria might have been many things.  But at least he was smart enough to understand this.  Why bother developing ZC anymore if you know that its inevitable end is coming very soon?  Why keep good relations with everyone?  Even if he did the most stellar job he could - he could never overcome this problem.  So why even try?

Perhaps its time for all of us to consider that we should simply do nothing and let Zelda Classic die.  Trying to get it to survive is simply too expensive and too costly and no one's going to pay for it.

• coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#2 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:18 PM

I like new designs but also the "old fashioned" look.

• coolgamer012345 and Emily like this

#3 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:34 PM

zc is doing fine you dolt
siiiiiigh... nobody will agree with me or my hare-brained takes ont he state of ZC., i guess its time to ((sighs))let ZC die. its for the best. its for the best if we just let hte pgorgram die. siighh
  • Mitsukara, Emily and TheManHimself like this

#4 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:36 PM

2.  Scripting is 100% necessary to make modern type A Zelda quests.  There's no way around this one - if you want any new features you must script them.

the devs have been on fire adding cool new features to the base engine lately and honestly I'm excited to maybe make a quest that doesn't have any scripts at all at this point

• Anthus, Twilight Knight and Emily like this

#5 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

Oh money talks doesn't it? Money makes the world go round and round and round and round and round and round and round. The dog's brain does not understand the business language but it does understand money and oh b

• Twilight Knight and Emily like this

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

the-simpsons-principal-skinner.gif

• Twilight Knight, Mitsukara, Erdrick and 1 other like this

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:44 PM

Hey that's three new James24 topics in the span of a month. Let's see what we've won...

TzWgISl.png

oh no

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Matthew and 1 other like this

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:46 PM

1. There are a new generation of Zelda players.  The modern type A Zelda player wants their quest to resemble Link's Awakening, The Minish Cap, The Oracle of Seasons and the Oracle of Time.  They don't want their quest looking like NES Zelda - that was for the oldies.

I'm making a Z1 tileset as we speak lol.

• Mitsukara, Mitchfork, Demonlink and 1 other like this

#9 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:50 PM

yo.gif

• Emily likes this

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:01 PM

I'm making a Z1 tileset as we speak lol.

Scratch that, two Z1 tilesets.

• Matthew and Emily like this

#11 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:11 PM

Oh no, whatever shall we do. People want LA style quests? However can we offer that? It's not like sideview ladders were added last year, or sideview swimming is being currently worked on, or like I added crystal switches, right? Oh wait, it is.

James, to speak my frank opinion here: Shut the absolute fuck up, no one gives a fuck what you have to say, all you are is annoying. You would do everyone here a great service by deleting your account and never coming back. We don't need someone to come in and tell us "we're doomed" constantly, you're just a shit-stirrer who wants a reaction out of people, and all it is is annoying. You speak things that are outright lies as though they are truth, and all you try to do is make everyone feel like shit. Get the fuck out and never come back, you are unwelcome.

If you want to abandon hope for ZC, then go ahead. Abandon it. That would mean, leave ZC and everything to do with it alone, and get it out of your life. We have nothing to do with you, and just because you don't like it anymore doesn't mean no one else likes it anymore. So just fuck off.

• Rambly, Mani Kanina, Erdrick and 2 others like this

#12 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

I am happy with the state of ZC and hopeful for its future.

• Rambly, Valerie, Mitsukara and 3 others like this

#13 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:17 PM

I've agreed for a while that ZC needs more engine features and that offloading such features to scripting is a mistake. Fortunately, the devs have done a wonderful job in 2.55 of adding much-needed features. I, for one, am hopeful for the program's future.

• Rambly, Mani Kanina, Shane and 3 others like this

#14 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:22 PM

Perhaps its time for all of us to consider that we should simply do nothing and let Zelda Classic die.  Trying to get it to survive is simply too expensive and too costly and no one's going to pay for it.

Yeah, perhaps we should let something that is a hobby for many others die because James24 doesn't like what is happening to the program, based on his own theories of what is going on.  Yes sir, oh so omniscient one!

• Rambly, Mani Kanina, Erdrick and 1 other like this

#15 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:26 PM

James24
...if you don't like the programm, don't use the programm.

Non scripters will still love to make old NES styled quests.
The engine features are becomming more extensive, since the 2.55 Alpha Builds.

Scripting is useful, no doubt.
...but one thing that makes ZC so attractive, is that it's very easy to use, for everyone who never tried game-/quuestdesigning before.
and also offers almost unlimited possibilities for gifted programmers, musicians, graphic designers etc...

Edited by Bagu, 22 August 2021 - 10:31 PM.

• Emily likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users