[Alpha 92] Slashable combos backwards incompatibility

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:15 AM

Slashable combos don`t reveal secret combos if flagged with 16-31.
Play this test quest in 2.55 -> Link finds nothing under grass.
Play this test quest in 2.53 -> Link finds treasure chest under grass.

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:50 PM

I agree something should be done about this (if it's possible?) to ensure compatibility with older quests.

However, regarding the issue I had with your quest in that one room, this could be fixed by changing the secret bush combos to other bush combos that have the secret combo as the next one. That should make it compatible with both 2.53 and 2.55.

#3 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 June 2021 - 08:48 PM

I agree something should be done about this (if it's possible?) to ensure compatibility with older quests.

However, regarding the issue I had with your quest in that one room, this could be fixed by changing the secret bush combos to other bush combos that have the secret combo as the next one. That should make it compatible with both 2.53 and 2.55.

Unfortunately, this old feature is in heavy use in later rooms, and fixing it requires complete revamping of those puzzles.

Edited by Alucard648, 20 June 2021 - 08:48 PM.

#4 ElvenPsychoRanger

ElvenPsychoRanger

ElvenPsychoRanger

• Members

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:25 AM

About the claimed "backwards compatibility" of the newer builds,

Am seeing it is still best to just use the same build as what each quest was designed on. Very unfortunate, when playing the majority of a quest, only to get to a point where you are not sure if there is something you're missing or if it's a compatibility glitch. Then, you dig through the gameplay forum comments, usually finding someone else hit the same spot, and it is because you should have not used the later build.

I have seen some old quests get updated to the newer builds. Love those people! I really do! But, is it safe to say, that if the designer hasn't explicitly stated that the quest has been updated and will work in a newer build, then you shouldn't trust the "backwards compatibility" ...fully. Right?

Also, am aware that some quest designers are never gonna be checking back into the database, is there perhaps a list somewhere of incompatible quests, with notes on where found problems are located?

...was gonna start another thread, but this was so recent and relevant.

E

#5 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 July 2021 - 05:07 AM

About the claimed "backwards compatibility" of the newer builds,

Am seeing it is still best to just use the same build as what each quest was designed on. Very unfortunate, when playing the majority of a quest, only to get to a point where you are not sure if there is something you're missing or if it's a compatibility glitch. Then, you dig through the gameplay forum comments, usually finding someone else hit the same spot, and it is because you should have not used the later build.

I have seen some old quests get updated to the newer builds. Love those people! I really do! But, is it safe to say, that if the designer hasn't explicitly stated that the quest has been updated and will work in a newer build, then you shouldn't trust the "backwards compatibility" ...fully. Right?

Also, am aware that some quest designers are never gonna be checking back into the database, is there perhaps a list somewhere of incompatible quests, with notes on where found problems are located?

...was gonna start another thread, but this was so recent and relevant.

E

If you run into an issue, then it's a bug that should be reported. Here's the conundrum: If no one plays the quests in the newer version and finds the issues, we can't fix them. So, it's best for everyone to use the latest builds.

For the record, this is an intentional change (slashable combos becoming secret combos was, in itself, a bug); however, old quests should obey the rules from the version they used, and that part is a bug.

• ElvenPsychoRanger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users