Junior

• Members

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:43 AM

THE SLIPSTREAM

By RedTribeLink

2kj4gf16kwq8g9kzg.jpgtu16jmmbuaala7fzg.jpg

pxk8eeng2vjl9nazg.jpgnzzbz41cg38z4dczg.jpg

INFORMATION:

In the land of Glenridge, there lay a tear in space called the Slipstream.  Whatever brave or foolish soul entered into it did not return.  For years, it laid dormant, until it began unstable and monsters began to emerge from it.  They began attacking villages, kidnapping people, and throwing them into the Slipstream's vortex.

You are Hirota.  The people closest to you have been kidnapped and you have willingly jumped into the vortex to save them.  Travel through 8 miniature realms throughout the treacherous Slipstream in this metroidvania adventure.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

https://www.dropbox....weeks].qst?dl=0

I hope you enjoy!

TIPS AND TRICKS:

- This isn't your regular hack and slash game.  Each item and enemy has a specific damage type that determines how much damage is done to a certain enemy with a certain item.  An NPC in the town details this a little more.

- If you feel overwhelmed or stuck in an area, try a different area and come back later with better gear.

- The town is important.  Don't forget to level up and pick up supplies in the shop once you've unlocked it.

LASTLY...

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask.  Any criticism is welcome.

• The Satellite and Shane like this

#2 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

For a two week quest, this is really enjoyable. RedTribeLink makes a strong effort to get the most out of fairly simple changes to the ZC formula, and for the most part, it works! The elemental system is fun, and each area feels satisfying and has its own unique gimmicks. Aside from a couple of shortcomings, it feels like a fairly complete, satisfying adventure. There's a number of bugs, probably due to the two week thing, but nothing too frustrating. With more time, the elemental system could be better balanced and fleshed out so that you don't end up using the same old sword and boomerang in the end. But overall, this is a short, fun quest that's definitely worth a playthrough.

Oh, and one more thing ...  Play this in 2.5.1! If you're in 2.5, Zelda Classic will crash during the final area!

• RedTribeLink and Logos like this

#3 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:13 AM

Play this in 2.5.1! If you're in 2.5, Zelda Classic will crash during the final area!

:(

Well I hope my saves can carry over.

Anyways, I just thought I should point out that this is a super fun quest. I'm three areas in and have no real complaints aside from that the enemy editor bosses are rather dull and the warps to/from town are easy to use by accident.

• Evan20000 and RedTribeLink like this

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

What can I do here?

sliphelp1.png

if I melt the block from the bottom, the key appears, but by the time I get here from the right, everything is reset...

I finished the other line, through (the other set of areas).

This is FANTASTIC for a 2 week quest, I can't believe how could you fit it in.

EDIT:

Ok, I got that screen, but now where to go?

I went through all areas I found. At the two water areas, it said there weren't any portals, I should explore elsewhere. But as I know, I found all portals in the other areas, too.
I have 5 artifacts, I'm missing the upper right of a six-pack. according to the description, there will be 2 more even after that, but I just can't imagine where.

Can we get some chart that which areas have portals to where?

Edited by CastChaos, 16 August 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#5 a30502355

a30502355

Hi

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

auqtGt1.png

Hi, enjoying this quest so far. But what do I do here? I have 6 artifacts. And this seems like the only place I could go. I don't know if I have to collect more artifacts, but this pit is blocking my way.

Spoiler

Edited by a30502355, 16 August 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#6 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Press Ex3.

I finished this quest yesterday and I like it a lot, though I agree with Moosh about the bosses.

• RedTribeLink likes this

#7 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

For CastChaos and anyone else searching for new areas, here's a quick thing about how the levels connect:

Spoiler

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Got to the final boss. Which I don't have the mood to endure, especially if I suspect well that being grabbed by a summoned like like is instant death (I couldn't get out from there anyhow).

Otherwise this is superb, the element system is wonderful and the areas (especially the non-later ones) are very thought out. The desert was my favourite, maybe.

I liked the bosses, they fit in well. That kind of "level up" system was a nice thing for one, too.

#9 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

@CastChaos: the summoned like likes are not instant death. Since they are a radiant enemy, the hammer or bombs will take them out in one hit. Thanks for playing. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

#10 a30502355

a30502355

Hi

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

Finished the quest. I really enjoyed it. I'll try to post a review somewhere today! :)

#11 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

I started today, and I'm partway through the fire area.

I'm not too ken on the initial enemy balance, but this, you need to fix:

block_trap.png

The player can easily trap himself. Note, that I did not yet find the solution to this one, as it seems to be an extremely precise puzzle, with no alternative paths; unless it's a troll puzzle.

Another problem, is that until I acquired to weapons, I was constantly warping meself, unintentionally. This is why I advise a 'None/Empty Hand' item pair, for games that start like this.

It does seem that people have been enjoying the game, and have progressed farther than I, but I gave it 30 minutes today thus far, so I'll come back to it later.

The revival item is a pure waste of rupees, as it doesn't revive you where you died.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 17 August 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#12 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

@ZoriaRPG: I tried my hardest not to make it to where you can get stuck, but I guess trying to make it quickly let that slip in.  As for solving the puzzle, you have to use a specific item that you obtained recently.

What I might end up doing for the town warp when I release this to the database later this year is to just move it to the Ex4 button.  That way it's hard to accidentally hit.

As for the revive, I've tested it multiple times and it works on my end.  The only thing I can think of that would cause this is if you play this in 2.5.  I'll continue to look into it, though.

#13 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

@ZoriaRPG: I tried my hardest not to make it to where you can get stuck, but I guess trying to make it quickly let that slip in.  As for solving the puzzle, you have to use a specific item that you obtained recently.

What I might end up doing for the town warp when I release this to the database later this year is to just move it to the Ex4 button.  That way it's hard to accidentally hit.

As for the revive, I've tested it multiple times and it works on my end.  The only thing I can think of that would cause this is if you play this in 2.5.  I'll continue to look into it, though.

Using 2.50.1, (build 28), so that shouldn't be the problem. I don't know where you have the revive function, but it could have a conflict.

I have a series of Resurrect() functions in RPG.zh, if you want any of those.

I could have sworn...

Spoiler

Question: Should I have the bow, before reaching 'Harbor Cavern'? I hadn't seen it, but I was able to get a bow upgrade...?!

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 17 August 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#14 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

I'll be sure to check out those functions whenever I get the chance.

The "bow" is optional for the Harbor Caverns.  The game is fairly non-linear, so any area you can access is fully playable upon first entrance.

#15 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:58 AM

I'll be sure to check out those functions whenever I get the chance.

The "bow" is optional for the Harbor Caverns. The game is fairly non-linear, so any area you can access is fully playable upon first entrance.

Found the bow, and the fire rod; but you know, I still have not found bombs. Enemies drop them, but I've not discovered the bomb item. Do you've any hints on that?

RPG_Player.zlib

I've completed four areas: The initial area, the fire area, the desert, and the harbour. My inventory screen looks like this:

zelda047.png

Two questions:

1. Have I missed items, and
  2. is there a slipstream open that I've missed?

The only one I seem to be able to find at present, goes to the underwater stage.

Edit: I just now found the swamp. I thought there was another slipstream that I saw earlier, but I wasn't sure if I had rightly remembered where.

The game would absolutely benefit from either in-game maps of some kind, or just allowing the player to use the spacebar map.

I completed the swamp, and I enjoyed that raft, although being a sitting suck on it was a bit of a trial. Now I'm back to not knowing where to go, other than the underwater stage; which I'll admit, although I love the idea, I'm dreading doing it.

I hope that you release the code for the raft, and the underwater action though. Both are wholly new executions.I made it through to 'Moon Meadows', and I must say, the difficulty spike is rather intense. Opting for power, rather then protection, many enemies are nearly one-hit-kills. Even with a book, life refill, and boosted power, needing to jump, and use multiple weapons per screen, is rather taxing.I'll let that one wait until tomorrow. If there is another area that I can explore, please let me know.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 August 2015 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users