• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

• Forum Moderators

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

The 2015 Summer Two-Week Quest Contest

Information
In case you don't know, the two-week contest is a contest in which participants have two weeks to create a custom quest using ZQuest. After the deadline, the community votes for their favorite quest in a poll after they’ve played the quest. Winners receive $10,000.

Hosts
David (me) and Russ

Time Schedule
You have from now until August 1st to plan out your quest if you so choose. Quest development will take place from August 1st to August 15th. On August 16th, the quests will be released to the database. Finally, on August 30th, a poll will be opened to the public for voting and will remain open for two weeks. Winners will be determined after that.

Rules/Guidelines
  • The quest must be made with ZQ 2.50 or 2.50.1. Please do not use any RC versions as we want to keep things as streamlined and standardized as possible.
  • You may receive feedback from others if you so desire while making the quest.
  • Any tileset, tile, script, and piece of music that is available in the database may be used.
  • You may create your own tilesets, tiles, scripts, and music to use in your quest.
  • Do not start working on your quest until August 1st. If not, people will view it as unfair.
How to Participate
Post in this topic if you are interested in participating! I will add you to the list of participants below. You may change your mind about participation at any time. Once August 1st hits, start working!

Current Participants [Updated August 10th 12:51pm PDT]
  • Astromeow
  • RedTribeLink
  • Jaghnus
  • Nexas
  • Moosh
  • Demonlink
  • Shane
  • Geoffrey
  • bmc10011
  • RedmageAdam
  • KenMeister
  • SpacemanDan
  • GrantGrief
  • SKM2012
  • Dwarlen
  • Lejes
  • Nimono
  • Orithan
  • Scootaloo
  • Logos
  • Dimentio
  • Nightmeres
  • Theryan
  • CastChaos
  • Twilight_Knight
  • Lunaria
  • CyberGamer1539
  • Hergiswi
  • MissingMario809
  • Coolgamer012345
Tips
  • Plan ahead. You have a very long time before the contest actually starts. Plan overworld/dungeon designs on paper, write down your story, write a list of ideas that you want to implement, and gather all your tiles, tilesets, music, and scripts beforehand. This will help you tremendously when the contest actually starts as then all you will have to do is create your quest following the preparation you have made.
  • Do not think too big. Do not overwhelm yourself with something you will not be able to complete in 2 weeks (14 days).
  • Have fun! This contest is not meant to be stressful; just have fun and you will do great. :)
How to Submit Your Quest
Since there is now a dedicated subforum for this contest, we no longer require the main site's database to submit quests. Instead, submissions will occur in a similar manner to that of the ZC Expo. Basically, once you are completely done creating the quest, you must create a topic in this subforum. In that topic, format everything for how you want people to view your submission as there are no restrictions on the format. Basically, design it the way you want to or in a way that suits your quest.

There are a few things to keep in mind, however:
  • ​​​Please upload your images to photo-sharing websites such as imgur. PureZC will not be hosting the images.
  • Hide your signature. It's more professional.  ;)
  • Editing Procedures: If you need to edit your submission post, either contact me or Russ or just simply create a new submission and we will take care of things for you.
The above guidelines are there just to keep things consistent with each submission. Once the topic is complete, post it and the topic should be automatically hidden from public view.

Finally, all submission topics are due when the quest development period finishes (August 15th at 12:00am PDT). We will probably be somewhat loose on this, however, as we understand that creating the topic is pretty much last minute in most cases.

Thank you and we are eager to see everyone's quests!
  • MermaidCim, Shane, Eddy and 7 others like this

#2 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

Great news here! I am very glad to see this community alive and well enough for this event to occur.

I gladly will be participating. This allows opportunity for my new custom tileset to be used. 

Thank you guys for hosting. A new style of quest will be served from me, for I am doing something different than my typical side scroller or post-modern shooter.

• David likes this

#3 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

I'm on the fence about being a part of this at this time. As much as I want to be a part of this, I don't know if I have any ideas that would work out nicely within my limits. I'm also worried mostly because my last entry into anything like this didn't go over so well. I'll let you know if I come to a decision.

• David likes this

#4 RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Count me in!  These are always a lot of fun!  This is a really good opportunity for me to try something a little bit new and to take a small break on Secret Skies.

Good luck to everybody else who will be participating!

• David likes this

#5 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

I've taken 9 years on one quest. If I think I can build something in 2 weeks, though, I'll hit you up.

• Jared, David and Astromeow like this

#6 Einsiety

Einsiety

~ Blaze Fielding ~

• Forum Moderators

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

I'll gladly particpate. I can't really use summer school as an excuse here since it only last like, 4 hours a day, and that's 4 days a week. I should have plenty of time, not to mention my lack of homework.

That said, I can't gurrantee I actually will partipate, since last time, I had to force myself along by streaming myself making the quest.

I've taken 9 years on one quest. If I think I can build something in 2 weeks, though, I'll hit you up.

Me too, but I made Nostalrul. :x

• David likes this

#7 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

Nice to see that the Two-Week Contest returns!

But hey, guess who'll be in Portugal during the quest building period? Yep, me. Because of that, I won't be able to participate in this contest, but good luck to those participating!

(On the bright side, Joel won't be able to make more DayDay quests and add them into the competition :P)

• Lightwulf and David like this

#8 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:50 AM

I probably won't participate, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what projects will come out of this.

• David likes this

#9 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

I find these contests help me to limit myself better. Somewhat. I still tend to do ridiculously stupid ambitious stuff, but the two week deadline helps me know how far to take it and when to stop. Making a simple Classic quest doesn't usually take that long. It might not win any awards, but making a quest is its own reward.

Sign me up for the thing. I may have to drop out, but I always like to be signed up anyways in case I have a sudden two week burst of inspiration as tends to happen.

• David likes this

#10 Dwarlen

Dwarlen

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

I might think about entering this contest, big emphasis on the might though. A couple of questions just in case though;

Are joint efforts allowed? As in, could Zahalfor and I work on a quest together during the two week period for the contest, or would that be considering cheating? (after all, two can get more done then one and that would seem like an unfair advantage)

Are scripts that have already been written but are not in the database allowed? Also, are you allowed to write scripts for the quest prior to the two week work period?

Lastly, whats the deadline for signing up for this contest?

• David likes this

#11 Avataro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

Thank you guys for hosting this contest! I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll not make a puzzle quest this time. (In other words, you can sign me up)

• David likes this

#12 Demonlink

Demonlink

Experienced Quest Developer

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

First time I'll actually participate! :) I'm willing to finish a small project now. So in a few words, count me in!

#13 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

So, what would qualify on starting work on the quest? Is it just designing the quest and its features, or does it extend to anything work-related on the quest?

• David likes this

#14 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

I probably won't participate, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what projects will come out of this.

On second thought count me in, but I can't promise anything. I have an idea though that might work...

• David likes this

#15 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

The Giraffe

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

I'll try to have an entry.

I have some ideas for a game that I want to make outside of ZC, but this contest may be a good way of creating some proof of concept and such.
  • David likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users