ZC player on MIPS architecture?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:38 PM

So, over the last year or so there's been a bit of a resurgence of MIPS-based handhelds coming out of China (the top end running ingenic jz4770 SOCs). There's been quite a community swell, particularly around Anbernic's RG350 line, and it would be awesome to get the zc player on there in some sort. The front end is a modified Linux distro called open dingux.

I think I asked a few years ago and Allegro doesn't play well with MIPS, just wondering if there was any differences with more modern builds that might allow it to be ported?

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:37 PM

Sorry but this is not possible unless you want t volunteer to port it. That requires porting abut a dozen different deps, compiling, static linking getting proper compilers to accept them, then trying to build the engine. The source is strictly i386 at this time. I had toyed with cut down/stripped PPC that did not support a lot of stuff but that was for personal use and with things that I didn't need (like any music other than MIDI) completely pulled and it still failed to work. 

Beyond this, ZC itself these days requires a lot of space, RAM and CPU power, and the MIPS arch can;t cut it. Even on Linux. running a single instance eats a whole core (allegro thing). 

In the next few years that arch will be dead anyway, so by the time anyone ported it, it wouldn't be useful. ARM is another target out of our reach with legacy/bluebox. Once we get to v3 or v4 and we have yellow/bluebox, it is possible that yellowbox only wiil run on other systems, but not support any legacy quests. 

We'd basically need an entire team of 6+ people dedicated to ports to even think about non-i386 arch. 

Perhaps in the future WINE on such platforms might cut it, but I doubt it. 

Beyond all of this, touch screen support in ZC is extremely limited.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#3 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:49 PM

Thanks, that's kinda what I suspected but wasn't sure. Shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users