Announcing Melody of the Demon King

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

So this is a quest two years in the making. For anyone who played my dungeon Stalfos' Lair in Anthus' Dungeon Design Weekly #2 from a while back, that dungeon was intended to be the first dungeon of Melody of the Demon King.

Well, I am now coming back to that quest. Stalfos' Lair will be getting a completely redesigned dungeon that will not even be reminiscent of the dungeon I submitted back then.

Although the dungeon from back then got a thumbs up, and had a certain cool factor, it was a bit lacking in substance and atmosphere. This time around I have a concept for every dungeon, every area in the game. And it all starts with a book series known as Pendragon.

Each dungeon/area will be inspired by a different book in that series. But that's not where the inspiration ends. I will keep that under wraps for now though.

The quest will use a Z1 nonlinear overworld style, but take inspiration from the Oracle games with its middungeon quests.

For the time being, here is a list of every area and what books inspires its area.

Midoro Swamp. Inspired by Pilgrims of Rayne.
Royal Graveyard. Inspired by The Reality Bug.
Lake Hylia/Zora's Domain. Inspired by The Quillan Games.
Faron Forest. Inspired by Black Water.
Snowpeak Mountains. Inspired by The Merchant of Death.
Gerudo Desert. Inspired by The Lost City of Faar.
Death Mountain. Inspired by Rivers of Zadaa.
Temple of Time. Inspired by The Never War.
Hyrule Castle. Inspired by Raven Rise.

I have left out Soldiers of Halla, but it will have inspiration of its own.

To get an idea of what I mean by inspiration, I shall draw a parallel between the Royal Graveyard area and The Reality Bug.

In The Reality Bug people have become infatuated with virtual reality. To a point where they have begun living in that reality and abandoned the real world.

Their infatuation with virtual reality is being paralleled to the Royal Graveyard with the undeads infatuation with reality in general, much related to their unfinished business.

Yes. This is a distant prequel to Despair of the Demon King. And no, that project is not cancelled.

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 21 July 2017 - 07:54 AM.

• Anthus, Shane, Lightwulf and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users