Photo

Keyboards Vs. Controllers

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

I am new to ZC and well also new to computer gaming as well. This might already be a topic but I did not see one in my search. Anyways, I was just wondering what other gamers preferred to play on weither it would be KEYBOARDS or CONTROLLERS. Since I mainly have only played consoles my first thought was to look for decent controller for the computer. Which would be the best? Any insight or thoughts would be great!

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

I personally like using the keyboard for Zelda Classic. I found out my GameCube controller works on it too. But it doesn't work as well as the keyboard with diagonal controls for some reason.

• SinSeven likes this

#3 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Do you just use a generic stock keyboard or is it any kind of upgrade one for gaming?

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

It's totally up to you, I prefer controller since theres so many buttons in a small space, but for zc, for the most part, keyboard is ok since you dont need the many buttons

• SinSeven likes this

#5 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks GhostKnight22 which brands do you like to use or model? I seen one that looked like a 6 button Gamecube controller seemed decent. My buddy also wants me to join his Minecraft server and I am guessing thats going to be pretty much a strictly keyboard use only.

#6 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I use a keyboard for ZC if only because I'm used to it. Either way, I don't really know which is better.

• SinSeven likes this

#7 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

well the best brands are the microsoft sidewinder, or xbox controllers, or any generic controller similar to them if your tight on money. When my brother was still here I used a ps3 controller and worked very well. Most generic controllers look like the playstation.

The ps3 controller has like 13 buttons, and a peripherial 6 axis to move the controller in game, the xbox 360 controller however, has a full 360 degree motion meaning if you move the controller it may do something in game similar to wii mote

Always try to get generics because orginals are too damn expensive

Edited by GhostKnight22, 22 August 2014 - 01:41 PM.

• SinSeven likes this

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Do you just use a generic stock keyboard or is it any kind of upgrade one for gaming?

Well, I have a laptop so I just use that one. :P

#9 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

Sweeet! Thanks abunch GK22 that really helps a ton!

And Jared well I guess that will have to do :P May I ask what laptop you have? I bought a new desktop at the beginning of the year I mainly use for my graphic designing and illustration. My laptop is waaay out dated its 7 years old

#10 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Personally, I don't see a need for a controller in particular for ZC unless there's a specific problem with your keyboard. For example, I have problems playing platformer games on my laptop because a lot of the keys don't work well when multiple keys are pressed at once, and I have yet to find a layout that works around this well. In that case, I'll just use a controller. My old computer, though, worked just fine with multiple key presses, so I just stuck with that.

• SinSeven likes this

#11 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Awesome man thats great stuff to know I will keep that all in mind when I go out to get one. I am great with a mouse and stylus but I just know I suck on a keyboard even with something basic as the windows pinball and thats like two buttons haha

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I prefer a keyboard. There's a reason for this. See, ZC's controller support is... not exactly perfect. My biggest gripe with it, is that using analog sticks to walk is way too sketchy, and sometimes it's hard to know if you'll be walking straight, or diagonally, because it seems the dead zones on the controller hasn't been worked out properly. Now that I've invested in an Xbox One-controller though, which has a much better dpad than the original 360-controller, I would use that instead, but I haven't actually tested it out in ZC yet. I'm assuming it's going to work just fine.

It's not just a matter of what you personally prefer, because it will affect your game if you play with the analog sticks. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking a narrow path over a big hole, and suddenly Link just decides to walk upwards, because ZC is way too sensitive with the sticks.

well the best brands are the microsoft sidewinder, or xbox controllers, or any generic controller similar to them if your tight on money. When my brother was still here I used a ps3 controller and worked very well. Most generic controllers look like the playstation.

The ps3 controller has like 13 buttons, and a peripherial 6 axis to move the controller in game, the xbox 360 controller however, has a full 360 degree motion meaning if you move the controller it may do something in game similar to wii mote

Always try to get generics because orginals are too damn expensive

What? No, the 360 controllers has no motion control features at all. Like you mentioned, the PS3-controller has sixaxis, which is more or less a gyroscope or something like that, that notices what angle it's at or something along those lines. It's basic, but it 'works'. It does not however work for any PC-titles, it's a feature limited to PS3 games. Both controllers have the same features and same amount of buttons, other than the sixaxis feature with is exclusive to the PS3 one.

• SinSeven likes this

#13 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Migokalle that does make alot of sense. Great info to know.

#14 Frocks7Snee

Frocks7Snee

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

ZC is kind of wierd with controllers in the way that you cant use a freakin' d-pad of all things... Seriously, why is that?

#15 SinSeven

SinSeven

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I would think 8 directional would be difficult via a keyboard but I also do not know. Guess I shall just dive in try some quests out and see how things flow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users