Photo

Installing a Dual Core Processor

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

Again, I'm almost certain the PSU is a standard ATX. Some PCs use proprietary ones, but most use standard. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if yours uses a nonstandard PSU since it is a desktop and not a tower.

1 gig of ram just isn't enough for Vista. You need 2-3 gigs. A new CPU is also probably the most expensive and least worthwhile upgrade.

#32 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(Siguy @ Jan 30 2010, 01:38 AM) View Post

Again, I'm almost certain the PSU is a standard ATX. Some PCs use proprietary ones, but most use standard. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if yours uses a nonstandard PSU since it is a desktop and not a tower.

1 gig of ram just isn't enough for Vista. You need 2-3 gigs. A new CPU is also probably the most expensive and least worthwhile upgrade.

Well my motherboard isn't that old. It's a lot better than that 1998 dell XPS tower i had. That one lasted 12 years and it is still working. I'll see if i can search some ATX PSUs that would fit and I meant to install 4Gigs of memory. That way, it'll fill it up since I'm trying to install windows 7 on it. Wouldn't a CPU upgrade help with games? If i run dragon age, it can use double the CPU power with a dual core at least, and well, vista requires it if I'm running multiple apps at once.

#33 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

A 2.4ghz dual core isn't necessarily double the power of a 3.8ghz single core. Installing windows 7? Seriously? That's another $100 into a computer only worth maybe $150. If you're doing a fresh install you might as well get a new motherboard, and if you're getting a new motherboard you might as well just build a new computer from scratch. You can seriously build a decent gaming PC for about $500 nowadays, maybe even less.

#34 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

most games/programs never fully use more then 1 core. Emulators and image/video manipulation programs are likely the main things that do.

Of course, you will experience things like the ability to multi-task much better, like run a virus scan while gaming, sure load times will take longer as the HDD is scanned while you play, but the game should take a minimal performance hit.

#35 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

Not necessarily true, franpa. A lot of programs nowadays are multi-threaded. I am VERY glad I have a Phenom II quad core.

Also, Christian, I'm guessing you've got a 32 bit OS, which means that while you can install 4 gigs of ram, it will only recognize 3 or less.

#36 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

Some emulators use 1 processor but if i want to play games made today with Ps2 graphics i'm guessing it'll need more power unless my 3.8GHZ is overclocked to 4.0.

Yes my OS is 32-bit (x86). If i install 4Gigs of RAM it'll use 3 but i'll have an extra one thus it'll run faster right? I mean Windows Vista Ultimate can use more ram for the little graphical stuff that it uses.

#37 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

No, the extra gig won't do anything when you have a 32 bit OS.

Again, I recommend you build a new PC rather than try to upgrade the one you have. Seriously, you're looking at upgrading everything but the motherboard and case, and I'm sure just be disappointed with the results.

#38 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

I'll probably start building a pc soon but for now i guess an upgrade on RAM to 4Gigs would have to do at least. Thanks guys for all the advice. I learned a lot from this discussion.

#39 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

Again, 4 gigs is too much. You should just stick with 2 gigs, or no more than 3.

For reference, here's a relatively cheap, futureproof gaming rig I put together.
MSI 760G MicroATX motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130254
AMD Athlon II 3.0ghz
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103681
LG DVD burner
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136167
WD 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136098
MSI Radeon 5750
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127460
G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231277
Antec P180 mini tower
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129041
Corsair 400W PSU
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139008
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116754
Total: $640 (after rebates, maybe you could save $70 or so by reusing your existing hard drive and disc drive.)

Edited by Siguy, 30 January 2010 - 07:14 PM.

#40 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

unless you have a 64bit O/S, I also recommend 3 to 2 gigs of RAM.

#41 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:01 AM

Ok, so i made a stupid decision now.

I recently just bought a Dell Optiplex GX620 DT and here are my specs:
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHZ
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
2.5GB of RAM
With integrated intel graphics

Now i regret wasting 220 dollars on this computer because i just found out that upgrading these specs on a Dell is going to be a pain in the neck because:
The maximum CPU it can hold is a Pentium D 960 3.7GHZ which i don't think is enough to emulate a PS2.
The graphics chip is weak to be able to play high end games.
and the PSU can only hold 280W but i'm going to see if i can buy an ATI RADEON 4350 low profile card which uses 300W so i can increase graphic specs. Hopefully my PSU will be able to handle it.

#42 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, that's ...

A HT pentium 4 at least lets it do two things at a time. It's kind of a "fake" dual-core kind of thing. The graphics card is also the major factor when considering games of any kind, NOT the CPU. I do believe you'd be able to emulate a PS2 on the P4 you have now if you had decent graphics hardware. I'm not sure a Radeon 4350 would be quite enough; Vista is going to be a real dog on a uniprocessor machine. To be honest, it basically sounds like your problem is lack of money to spend, here, which I understand completely, I used to be in that situation.

At any rate the only kind of machine that is going to play high-end PC games (forgetting emulation for the moment) is going to run you at least $500 (which should play most games from about mid 2008 or earlier decently) to $750 or more (which would generally come with a video card that is a little bit more future-proof.)

Something with at least a Radeon 45xx or a GeForce 9500GT/9600GT would guarantee that you'd be able to play PS2 games and have a little power to spare, but you'd need a PSU with an output greater than what you have, probably a 380-400W at the very least.

Edited by Bengal, 08 September 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#43 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Bengal @ Sep 8 2010, 02:52 PM) View Post

Yeah, that's ...

A HT pentium 4 at least lets it do two things at a time. It's kind of a "fake" dual-core kind of thing. The graphics card is also the major factor when considering games of any kind, NOT the CPU. I do believe you'd be able to emulate a PS2 on the P4 you have now if you had decent graphics hardware. I'm not sure a Radeon 4350 would be quite enough; Vista is going to be a real dog on a uniprocessor machine. To be honest, it basically sounds like your problem is lack of money to spend, here, which I understand completely, I used to be in that situation.

At any rate the only kind of machine that is going to play high-end PC games (forgetting emulation for the moment) is going to run you at least $500 (which should play most games from about mid 2008 or earlier decently) to $750 or more (which would generally come with a video card that is a little bit more future-proof.)

Something with at least a Radeon 45xx or a GeForce 9500GT/9600GT would guarantee that you'd be able to play PS2 games and have a little power to spare, but you'd need a PSU with an output greater than what you have, probably a 380-400W at the very least.

Wish i could have read this before. I just bought the Radeon HD 4350 and it was a great improvement from the intel integrated graphics chip but i feel like i want more. Emulating a PS2 or a GC is not enough with this Computer's Processor. I'm lucky my 280W PSU is able to handle the 4350. Should i return this and try and buy a HD 5570 instead?

#44 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

That's really up to you, if you think your power supply can handle it.

#45 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(Bengal @ Sep 10 2010, 10:35 AM) View Post

That's really up to you, if you think your power supply can handle it.

Well aren't ATI cards designed to use low power consumption? I read that the 5570 uses a total of 65W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users